PDA

View Full Version : Android update on samsung galaxy mini

Sanco
23-11-2012, 05:43 PM
Hi friends, I need your help please.

I have a samsung galaxy mini currently sporting the Gingerbread operating system and it is time to update. Can you point my nose to where I can download the newest compatible and stable system for this phone? I would appreciate any tips on the flashing subject too.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Sanco

Nick G
23-11-2012, 06:01 PM
Don't think the Galaxy mini ever got updated from gingerbread. So the only way to get a newer version on would be to flash a rom.

Sanco
23-11-2012, 06:38 PM
Yes, I am starting to think that way as well. However I would loathe to stuff up the phone, so if nothing official exists I'll just bite the bullet.

Cheers bud.

Chilling_Silence
23-11-2012, 08:33 PM
Nothing official but check out XDA-Devs , I've upgraded my brothers to Jellybean, runs great!

Sanco
24-11-2012, 09:00 AM
Thank you for that CS, however forgive my poor knowledge of these things; does XDA - Devs stand for xda developers? Is is a website? Cheers

Chilling_Silence
24-11-2012, 09:12 AM
Yup :)

I'm back home now so don't have to try and post everything from my Cellphone. Try this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1972961

Sanco
24-11-2012, 10:40 AM
Got it, thanks. I am downloading the files to my pc then I will save them to the phone's memory card as per instructions - am I right so far? It does ask to root the phone, sounds kinky but I am not sure I got the true significance of it. Can you help there?

Regards

Sanco
24-11-2012, 12:38 PM
Maybe my joke lost me here, I apologise, but I really do not know what rooting the phone means. Anyone can help with that?

Chilling_Silence
24-11-2012, 12:48 PM
rooting a phone means "to obtain root access". In Android and linux, the root user is the all-powerful administrator user.

John H
24-11-2012, 12:50 PM
Before rooting the phone, have you tried installing and running Samsung Kies? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_Kies

I used it with my Samsung Galaxy S2, and it checked the firmware and updated it to the latest known version. I sold it in Sept, and this was the latest firmware:
Firmware version 2.3.6
Kernel version 2.6.35.7
Build no Gingerbread .XXKPL

I have no idea what the latest Android OS is for your phone, but maybe it would be worth trying Kies first before you do anything radical!

Sanco
24-11-2012, 01:31 PM
Thank you CS - I should be the administrator already -right?

Yes, I used to have the samsung kies and got rid of it because it kept on telling me it could not recognise or update the phone, or something like that. Bloatware in my view.

Chilling_Silence
24-11-2012, 02:10 PM
Nope. You're a "user". There's still the all-powerful administrator user that can manipulate any files. It's *sort* of similar to jailbreaking an iPhone, in its most basic sense.

Sanco
24-11-2012, 02:29 PM
Nope. You're a "user".

Yep and the local police station knows this too. But how can I become the all powerful one? (sounds real good to be one too):D

Sanco
25-11-2012, 09:51 AM
Update.
After following the instructions on xdev etc., I managed to brick the phone.:nerd: Took me to 3am to unbrick it and now reinstalling everything. Moral of this story, if it ain't broken don't tempt fate...:)

Nick G
25-11-2012, 10:42 AM
Update.
After following the instructions on xdev etc., I managed to brick the phone.:nerd: Took me to 3am to unbrick it and now reinstalling everything. Moral of this story, if it ain't broken don't tempt fate...:)
Wasn't bricked then, bricked is when its completely unsaveable :). Good to hear you got it working though.

Nick G
25-11-2012, 10:43 AM
Oops, double post.

Sanco
25-11-2012, 12:37 PM
Correct Nick, was a pour parler sort of statement. However I really thought I was going to have to buy a new one for a long bit as it wouldn't boot or anything, but with the help of xdevs tutorials I managed to get it into download mode and with odin and a working system it revived...it was like watching ER you know...lol