PDA

View Full Version : google search within nz only gone?

notechyet
22-11-2012, 08:24 PM
Hi all
Today FF updated and since the Google search options on the left are gone. Can someone tell me how to search within NZ only?
Thanks

inphinity
22-11-2012, 08:28 PM
Search Tools is now on the horizontal menu at the top of the search results instead of on the left

notechyet
22-11-2012, 08:32 PM
Search Tools is now on the horizontal menu at the top of the search results instead of on the left
Hmmm... it wasn't there till now. Your reply has done magic! I noticed that it is only showing when clicking on search tools.

mikebartnz
22-11-2012, 11:07 PM
In my view a retrograde step. I used to use that frequently. I feel it is a bad move prompted by Bing.

Renegade
22-11-2012, 11:36 PM
Yuck. I was wondering where it had gone. What a PITA.

Agent_24
22-11-2012, 11:39 PM
In my view a retrograde step. I used to use that frequently. I feel it is a bad move prompted by Bing.

I use(d) it many many times per day, plus several other options that were easily accessible in 1-click on the left side menu.

But now, let's hide all the options you want to quickly click on and change under multiple menus and sub-menus? Sounds great! NOT.

Definitely a step backwards. What the hell is up with everyone hiding anything remotely "advanced" in GUI design these days. Just makes everything take longer to do and is certainly not user friendly!

I sense a Stylish or Greasemonkey script coming on... If it wasn't for the fact they give the best search results I would have dumped Google long ago due to their idiotic "Improvements"

Agent_24
22-11-2012, 11:59 PM
Oh yeah, here we go: http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/152777

bevy121
22-11-2012, 11:59 PM
I like to use my clean, search tools still on the left, no black top bar, etc google nz search page.

Very easy to do (for ff anyway) - just install UA control (user-agent) addon :
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/uacontrol/?src=userprofile

and then add a site. (there's now an icon, bottom right of browser)

Cick the icon -> select UAControl Options -> click Add Site

Type www.google.co.nz (or whatever) and select Block - send no UA
(Or select Custom if you want to send your own piece of creative text to them instead lol)

Now you have a nice uncluttered, unchanged google search :)

Agent_24
23-11-2012, 12:18 AM
That also works well!

apsattv
23-11-2012, 04:05 AM
I want to know how to list news articles , sort by date no longer sorts them in order
e.g 1 min ago 3 mins ago etc going back

notechyet
23-11-2012, 05:40 AM
If it wasn't for the fact they give the best search results I would have dumped Google long ago due to their idiotic "Improvements"
+1
The same for some 'improvements" in FF, e.g. hiding email the page link.
Could it be that changes are done for the sake of changing things, not necessarily improving.

Frank_sumbody
23-11-2012, 06:15 AM
Hi all
Today FF updated and since the Google search options on the left are gone. Can someone tell me how to search within NZ only?
Thanks

As I keep saying everything is broken, I blame it on the yearly flu injection, why the world is going mad, I have never had it (flu injection).

go here http://www.google.co.nz/firefox and you will see 'Pages from New Zealand' it's got me beat with all that white space why they can not also have

Pages from Australia
Pages from USA
Pages from UK
Pages from ....

In which case it would be better to have a drop down menu, and you could select any country.

Chilling_Silence
23-11-2012, 08:51 AM
Just type:
Site:nz

After your query :-)

Agent_24
23-11-2012, 10:01 AM
With the old left-hand sidebar you just move your mouse to the left, click once on "Pages from New Zealand" and there you go.

With the new top menu, one must click "Search Tools" then "The Web" and finally "Pages from New Zealand"

That's 2 extra clicks - How on earth do they think that is in any way more convenient?

Also, it wastes vertical space rather than horizontal space, and since apparently everyone has a widescreen monitor now, why are they not wasting more horizontal space instead?

You cannot tell me it makes sense.

23-11-2012, 11:50 AM
Also, it wastes vertical space rather than horizontal space, and since apparently everyone has a widescreen monitor now, why are they not wasting more horizontal space instead?

You cannot tell me it makes sense.

Perhaps its to give them more room on the side for ad's :badpc: :badpc:

notechyet
23-11-2012, 01:41 PM
Perhaps its to give them more room on the side for ad's ..
I would hope most people have Adblock and so most of the page is white!:D