PDA

View Full Version : modem router

jayal
21-11-2012, 11:45 AM
have read the review of the Netcomm NB6Plus4Wn by "chilling silence" and decided to get one, not that easy though, an online order to PB Tech failed, none in stock. My question is - "can anyone put me on to a business that sells them please?"

Agent_24
21-11-2012, 12:11 PM
I think they are discontinued now.. Try TradeMe for a 2nd hand one or something.

jayal
21-11-2012, 12:19 PM
thank you, maybe I'll look locally for another brand

Chilling_Silence
21-11-2012, 12:35 PM
Its not that simple, DONT get the , coz they're horrible, even though they're supposed to be the replacement model.

Instead, get the Asus N12U.

:-)

paulw
21-11-2012, 06:22 PM
Its not that simple, DONT get the , coz they're horrible, even though they're supposed to be the replacement model.

Instead, get the Asus N12U.

:-)

The reviewer of this at the PB Tech site wasn't too positive about it,,

CliveM
21-11-2012, 06:34 PM
The reviewer of this at the PB Tech site wasn't too positive about it,,

Only 1 review against what members here have reported. I would follow Chill's recommendations before that review. In any event I understand new firmware is due shortly and that will fix the reviewers points.

Chilling_Silence
21-11-2012, 07:25 PM
The reviewer is an idiot trying to sound clever if you ask me, and the problems lie in their PC. Typing the gateway into the registry coz it won't work any other way? Moron....

Timezone? Probably a bug, but unless you're doing time-based restrictions then does the time on your router matter? Do you even know or care about the time on your current router? ;-)

As for the Utility, I've never used it, the web based setup is so damn easy, hands down it beats everything for "out of the box ideal configuration", no need to disable any over-zealous stateful packet inspecting firewalls, no SIP ALG to turn off (For people who use VoIP that's very important) and the router is solid, reliable under conditions that make 9/10 other routers crumble...

Its one of the few routers I'd happily stake my name on. The now unavailable Netcomm NB6Plus4Wn, the Linksys AM300 and the Draytek DV120 being the others :-)

Chilling_Silence
21-11-2012, 07:28 PM
BTW, some PBTech reps still try to "up sell" you on the Netcomm NB604n if you mention you're after the NB6Plus4Wn. I've told them a few times they're useless routers and they should return the stock to Netcomm, I understand they're trying to do-so at the moment. I've also contacted my friend who is a nationwide distributor for Netcomm, he passed on my concerns to Netcomm who had no answer to why it was so terrible, though they acknowledged I wasn't the only one who had reported a number of issues with the NB604n.

I pity the likes of Telstraclear having purchased a thousand odd unit :

Speedy Gonzales
21-11-2012, 08:59 PM
The timezone prob with the ASUS modem is a bug. And ASUS are aware of it. And no there was nothing wrong with the PC. How do I know?? I wrote that review on the Pbtech site

Chilling_Silence
21-11-2012, 09:10 PM
So what on earth are you on about " having" to use the registry to enter a gateway IP?!

Yeah I'm not disagreeing its a bug re:Timezone, I'm suggesting that for almost everybody its not gonna matter...

Speedy Gonzales
21-11-2012, 09:13 PM
Because the utility if you uninstall it, it screws up the gateway. And leaves it blank. And I had to change it in the registry after I removed it. To fix it. Since, even If I typed the gateway in, it disappeared after every reboot.

Chilling_Silence
21-11-2012, 09:40 PM
On a statically assigned PC?

I got my friend to use it, coz I never bother with the utilities, he didn't have anything at all like that.

You're saying if I get the utility and install it, that it'll change my IP settings on removal?
Sounds very odd indeed... Not impossible though, just very odd.

Speedy Gonzales
22-11-2012, 07:01 AM
If you install it, you can't use staitic ips. Well, I couldnt anyway. But, when I uninstalled the utility, I couldnt put the gateway back in, like I said it kept disappearing after every reboot.

So, to make it stick I had to go into the registry and put the ip in.. It didnt disappear then. Well, obviously its not installed now, since I've changed the OS.

I think the utility also lets un unbrick a bricked modem, if you brick it. Weill, hopefully, I dont brick this, because I wont be installing it again lol