PDA

View Full Version : Printer won't print

slofox
21-11-2012, 10:25 AM
Problem with printing from a workplace computer.

Puter is some crappy Dell model, running Windows XP pro. (32 bit I think).

I've tried two separate printers on this machine and neither works. Both have been Brother models, mono laser printers. HL2130 (currently connected) and a HL2240D. Both run via USB cable.

I have installed up to date drivers for each machine. The computer sees the printers but if I send a print job, nothing happens - no action from the printer. I've followed the troubleshooter routine as far as I can each time without any change. Can't even get a test page out of either printer. The print queue says "error printing" each time.

I keep thinking the settings might be up to pole but I don't see anything obvious - everything is pretty much default.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Slankydudl
21-11-2012, 11:10 AM
Perhaps the printers are bust? Try using a different computer.

slofox
21-11-2012, 11:29 AM
Current printer works fine on another puter.

wainuitech
21-11-2012, 11:33 AM
Check 1 setting, open the print Queue, click on Printer, Make sure "use printer Off line" and "Pause printing" are unticked.

slofox
21-11-2012, 12:05 PM
Check 1 setting, open the print Queue, click on Printer, Make sure "use printer Off line" and "Pause printing" are unticked.

Neither of those is ticked.

Speedy Gonzales
21-11-2012, 12:08 PM
Did you wait for the install to tell you to plug the printer in and turn it on, before plugging it / them into a USB port?

wainuitech
21-11-2012, 12:10 PM
Is the print spooler running under services ?

To check - Control Panel/Admin Tools/ Services - print Spooler -- Should be automatic / Started. If it is, then stop it, and restart it, sometimes that can help.

slofox
21-11-2012, 12:55 PM
Did you wait for the install to tell you to plug the printer in and turn it on, before plugging it / them into a USB port?

Yes.

Speedy Gonzales
21-11-2012, 12:57 PM
Is SP3 on it?? When the printer is plugged in, does anything appear in device manager?

slofox
21-11-2012, 12:58 PM
Is the print spooler running under services ?

To check - Control Panel/Admin Tools/ Services - print Spooler -- Should be automatic / Started. If it is, then stop it, and restart it, sometimes that can help.

It was auto and started. Stopped and restarted as per your suggestion. Tried printing a notepad doc. After a long wait, the printer put through four blank sheets of paper...ngngngrrrrrr.

slofox
21-11-2012, 01:00 PM
Is SP3 on it?? When the printer is plugged in, does anything appear in device manager?

SP3 is installed. Not sure about your device manager question. What would I look for?

Speedy Gonzales
21-11-2012, 01:02 PM
Tried another cable or cables?

Speedy Gonzales
21-11-2012, 01:03 PM
SP3 is installed. Not sure about your device manager question. What would I look for?

See if anything comes up even if it shows an ? or ! or something. What does it say

slofox
21-11-2012, 01:03 PM
yep - done all the obvious stuff.

slofox
21-11-2012, 01:10 PM
See if anything comes up even if it shows an ? or ! or something. What does it say

If I look at the current printer in "printers" from control panel, it is ticked as default printer but no ? or !...or am I looking in the wrong place?

Speedy Gonzales
21-11-2012, 01:15 PM
device manager not control panel

wainuitech
21-11-2012, 01:19 PM
What happens if you go into the printer setting and tell it print a test page ? ( forget about notepad or any other programs at the moment)

slofox
21-11-2012, 01:23 PM
device manager not control panel

Printer doesn't show up in device manager. Which tab would it be in?

Speedy Gonzales
21-11-2012, 01:41 PM
Might be under imaging. Does it have a scanner? Or under printers

slofox
21-11-2012, 01:41 PM
What happens if you go into the printer setting and tell it print a test page ? ( forget about notepad or any other programs at the moment)

Nothing happens. Same as with any other document.

Speedy Gonzales
21-11-2012, 01:47 PM
I could have a look with teamviewer if you want. Is it works computer's or is one of them yours?? Dont they have IT people or something, if its a work computer?

slofox
21-11-2012, 02:02 PM
I could have a look with teamviewer if you want. Is it works computer's or is one of them yours?? Dont they have IT people or something, if its a work computer?

The computer belongs to the company - I better stay away from Team Viewer - but thanks for the offer.

He does have a techie somewhere whom he will get to take a look. In the meantime though there are a multitude of tasks that remain incomplete for lack of printing ability. Never mind - not really my problem. I get paid anyway...:)

Lurking
21-11-2012, 02:09 PM
Speedy, I think he is being derogatory for a start:

Wonder if it is the default printer.

Lurking.

Ps. as an aside, wife's Canon printer playing up again, so she had me print off what she wanted on my Canon, my printer had not been used for about 4 days and lo and behold it kicked up a stink until what was in it's buffer zone had printed off, lol.

lurks.

slofox
21-11-2012, 02:27 PM
Speedy, I think he is being derogatory for a start:

Wonder if it is the default printer.

Lurking.

lurks.

The printer wouldn't work even before I got derogatory...
And yes, it is the default printer.

Lurking
21-11-2012, 02:43 PM
The printer wouldn't work even before I got derogatory...
And yes, it is the default printer.

slofox, unfortunately I taught wife to be derogatory and it's probably why her printer keeps throwing a tantrum now.

Best printer we had back in the late 1970's was an A3 continuous paper feed Epson, it went round the office pc's no sweat.

Speedy could certainly help you with TeamViewer, but being a works pc would be illegal one would have thought.

Lurking.

pctek
21-11-2012, 03:26 PM
I get paid anyway...:)
Have to say if that sort of thing happened at my work, being paid anyway didn't help.
Get the tech to sort it, if it's not showing up, it's not installed properly.

slofox
21-11-2012, 03:48 PM
Have to say if that sort of thing happened at my work, being paid anyway didn't help.
Get the tech to sort it, if it's not showing up, it's not installed properly.

Oh but it does show up - just doesn't print anything...