PDA

View Full Version : No Icons and task bar in my monitor

agus
20-11-2012, 09:38 PM
Hi,

Today, when I started my computer, I found that no icons and task bar in my monitor.

The steps I have done:

1. Right click my monitor, chose "personalize" but nothing happened
2. Press CTRL + ALT + DEL, monitor went black

Can someone explain to me what happened to my computer?

Regards

pcuser42
20-11-2012, 09:41 PM
If you can open the Task Manager using Ctrl+Alt+Delete (if the screen is turning black and not moving on from there you have a serious problem), select File > Run new task, type explorer.exe and press Enter. Does it come back then?

McRuff
21-11-2012, 07:19 AM
You don't say what Operating System you are using but it sounds like you're monitor has some how become the secondary monitor. Use the Windows button and P to cycle through the various monitor modes until your desktop reappears.

lakewoodlady
21-11-2012, 10:00 AM
Win 7? They must be hidden, what happens when you move mouse pointer to bottom of screen?

LL

wainuitech
21-11-2012, 11:59 AM
One possible problem is a corrupted user profile.
Try this -- restart the PC in safe mode ( keep tapping F8 on startup) go into the control panel, User accounts/ Manage another Account / create a new Account. Once done reboot and log in with the new account --- is it the same or is it working as it should ?

Some infections ( Malware-viruses) will also do these actions of the Black Screen, no Icons/Task Bar.

One other thing you can try/Check. (copied from another site)
WARNING: dont fiddle with any other settings as it may cause more trouble - Just check the settings are correct.

Try this:

1) When you switch on your computer, start tapping the "F8" key to get

"Windows Advanced Options"( if boot menu appears, press "Esc" key and keep

tapping the F8 key)

2) Select "Safe Mode with Networking"

3) Click on Start --> Run --> Type regedt32 and press Enter.

[ If you are using Windows Vista or 7 then click on Start --> In search box, type

regedt32 and press Enter.]

Registry Editor will be opened. Navigate to the following location

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

At the right side, find the strings shell & userinit and check the following

shell value data should be
Explorer.exe

userinit value data should be
C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,

If shell and userinit are having different data values then change it as mentioned

above.

Just double click shell and userinit and enter the data values as

shell --> "Value data" should be
Explorer.exe

userinit --> "Value data" should be
C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,

Note: there is "," at the end of userinit.exe

Highlighted are what they should look like:

JAYMCG
02-12-2012, 07:10 PM
reinstall windows. lol :) (better than paying an arm and 2 legs for some idiot to fix it)

wainuitech
02-12-2012, 09:47 PM
reinstall windows. lol :) (better than paying an arm and 2 legs for some idiot to fix it) Ever thought your the idiot with comments like that -- as real techs know how to fix things without doing a reinstall generally.

Guess you work for nothing do you with the lack of knowledge and skill?

Driftwood
02-12-2012, 09:56 PM
Probably one of our future politicians.

Slankydudl
02-12-2012, 10:08 PM
JAYMCG clearly got all but 1 limb cut off trying to install ram

wainuitech
02-12-2012, 10:23 PM
:lol:

JAYMCG
02-12-2012, 11:33 PM
lol your just one of those idiots im talking about :)

JAYMCG
03-12-2012, 12:02 AM
@Slankydudl I have been there before! What computer is the RAM going into?

bevy121
03-12-2012, 12:26 AM
@Slankydudl I have been there before! What computer is the RAM going into?

sure wish you'd go back there...

wainuitech
03-12-2012, 09:22 AM
@Slankydudl I have been there before! What computer is the RAM going into? :lol: Doesn't even know when a person is being made fun of, having the piss taken out of them. ;)

@JAYMCG -- Question: WHY would you reinstall Windows when there is only a problem with the user profile and a few setting, unless you don't have the skills or knowledge to repair it ?

bk T
03-12-2012, 09:41 AM
Ever thought your the idiot with comments like that -- as real techs know how to fix things without doing a reinstall generally.

True that a good tech knows how to fix things without doing a reinstall but it's also true that this MAY cost more to fix than a reinstall.

If there's no important data to keep and have backups, it's cheaper to reinstall than fixing it, GENERALLY.

wainuitech
03-12-2012, 11:32 AM
True that a good tech knows how to fix things without doing a reinstall but it's also true that this MAY cost more to fix than a reinstall.

If there's no important data to keep and have backups, it's cheaper to reinstall than fixing it, GENERALLY. That would only apply if a persons time is worth nothing or very little.

Lets say it took 3-4 hours or longer to install windows install drivers, put back all the data, put back all the programs, Reinstall every other device ( printers etc) reset everything.

I ask -- If a person was working for a company or even self employed , would they do all the work and be happy not being paid ( because thats whats being suggested) ?

Sure some places charge more than others, but what a lot of people dont realise is that if the place that you work for has to make money other wise you cant be paid.