PDA

View Full Version : Android Tablet query

linw
20-11-2012, 02:33 PM
Wondering if anyone can give me some advice. I have just bought two very keenly priced Samsung Galaxy 8.9 tabs (GT-P7310) that are on Android HC 3.2. There is no official NZ ICS update for these in spite of overseas versions being available. This is pretty pathetic but that's how it is.

Everything I read says ICS is much faster/smoother etc than HC but I find mine run as well as I expected. In spite of my acceptance of HC 3.2 as it is, I would still like to upgrade, and have even considered the cm 10 JB rom.

I am prepared to accept the risks of unofficial roms but I want a fallback to my current setup if things don't go well. Just can't find the correct NZ approved rom file for that.

Perhaps I should just be patient and wait for Samsung to get off their proverbial - dunno.

So, anyone got helpful info/opinions? Been there., done that?

Cheers and TIA.

Speedy Gonzales
20-11-2012, 03:19 PM
I think you need something like ROM manager from the Google store to back up your rom. Then you have to root it, if it isnt rooted already. And you'll need the USB cable and you have to select debugging mode on that thing.

To do it. I did the same as you (and others). I rooted this smartphone. And installed quite a few roms on it, inc some of the CM mod's. Most of them worked, but some also drained the battery faster (than the stock ROM that was on it). I was lucky, I managed to find the stock ROM online (I didn't know if it had NZ in it or not). But, Once I connected it to the PC, and copied the ROM to the SD card (I'm pretty sure you'll need one of these too). And reset it, the original / stock ROM was back on it

Chilling_Silence
20-11-2012, 03:34 PM
ROM Manager and root isn't required in order to flash a new ROM?

I'm unsure if the Galaxy Tabs get flashed using Odin initially to put a custom recovery on it, as you do with the likes of the Galaxy S and Galaxy Nexus, but it probably does. However, there are a myriad of other device-specific guides out there that you can use, no worries.

Risks? It's pretty tough to actually brick an Android phone. I've tried to intentionally brick my Galaxy S, couldn't do it, it was always recoverable.

I've been there, done that, on a number of devices. Everything from the Asus Transformer, Nexus One, Galaxy S, Acer Iconia, Galaxy Nexus, HTC One X, Motorola Defy, and the Nexus 7, just to name a few ;-)

By and large it's relatively painless, pretty much always reverseable back to a "standard" firmware, however usually people simply download an "official" version of the firmware from their respective manufacturer and then copy it across and flash it. The first flash on a device is always the most painful, but after that you can usually flash straight from a custom recovery such as ClockworkMod or TWRP.
Jellybean is *well* worth the upgrade, the speed increase is MASSIVE.

Give it a whirl, you can always post here if you get stuck :)

Speedy Gonzales
20-11-2012, 03:49 PM
On this you need both, or clockworkmod which flashes the new rom (once you select recovery mode, it goes to it). On this one, I had to copy whatever mod (in zip format) to the sd card, then point it to it after I had wiped the cache etc. So it'll boot after its installed the new rom

According to this, you have to root the phone, before using ROM Manager (http://www.androidpolice.com/2010/05/08/complete-guide-how-to-flash-a-custom-rom-to-your-android-phone-with-rom-manager-full-backup-restore/)

Chilling_Silence
20-11-2012, 04:04 PM
Depending on the device, and the method for flashing a custom ROM, you *may* need to do those steps, but usually not :)

You're also presuming that the only way to flash a ROM is via ROM Manager. You can usually install a custom recovery without root, it's from the custom recovery (CWM or TWRP) that you'll flash your ROM. This itself has no correlation to if you have root or not, as all actions are being performed outside of the OS.

Having root access will help if you want a "one push to flash" sorta option, but in many cases it's simply easier to flash a custom ROM that comes pre-rooted.

linw
20-11-2012, 05:36 PM
Thanks, guys. Well, it didn't take long to stuff it up! I installed ROM Manager and that went OK, except that it wanted to confirm the device and didn't have the Galaxy 8.9 as an option. It did have the 10.1 so I chose that. This was probably a stupid option.

I ran ROM manager and told it to install CWM Recovery. That seemed to go OK.

Next I selected 'Backup current ROM'. It then went black, came up with the Samsung Galaxy name for a short time, went black again and that was it.

I can't get into Odin Recovery. I can select that mode but on pressing the Vol up to confirm selection, the screen just blacks out. I can't get it connected to Kies as the tab isn't powered on in any intelligent sense.

It will go into Download mode but Kies won't link in that mode.

Getting worried now, as with no SD card it is hard to see a force boot from a file on the card.

I am googling but haven't found anything likely, yet.

DeSade
20-11-2012, 05:43 PM
Take it back to the store and say its "just stopped working"

linw
20-11-2012, 05:56 PM
Bit embarrassing! I'll see of there is an 'out' first!

Chilling_Silence
20-11-2012, 06:24 PM
Use Odin while in Download mode to flash a good ROM that includes a custom recovery. It'll fix everything,

Don't worry, you can pretty much always recover from these things :-)

This is why I'm not a fan of flashing via ROM Manager. Not worth it. The original Galaxy S i9000 had similar issues, and I've done the exact same thing on the i9000 and i9000T...

But yeah, stay calm and keep Googling :-)

mikebartnz
20-11-2012, 08:28 PM
This is why I'm not a fan of flashing via ROM Manager. Not worth it. The original Galaxy S i9000 had similar issues, and I've done the exact same thing on the i9000 and i9000T...
I tried the SuperNexus on my S3 but wi-fi wasn't working so reverted. What rom do you recommend Chill.

GameJunkie
20-11-2012, 09:27 PM
i flashed my Galaxy Nexus to 4.2 via this guide,http://webtrickz.com/easiest-way-to-change-galaxy-nexus-from-yakjuxw-non-yakju-to-android-4-0-4-yakjutakju/

might be one for your device

linw
20-11-2012, 10:53 PM
Talk about weird. I have been out and just got home. Just for giggles I tried a normal power up 'just in case'. And it came on as if it was coming out of sleep mode with the lock screen on!!

Mmmm, I have had a thought. Check to see if, perchance, there was an OS backup file there. Sure enough, there is a clockworkmod/backup folder with the OS files there! So, it looks like it was doing the backup I asked it to do. It would probably have been running out of the bootloader to backup the OS and thus non-responsive to any of the power-ons etc I was trying. It would be a miracle if the file was OK!!! (OK, just looked. There are 5 files:- boot.img 8MB, recovery.img 5MB, cache.ext4.tar 0MB, system.ext4.tar 580 MB, date.ext4.tar 319MB). These would be about right?

Thanks for the comforting words, Chill. At times like this a soothing calm air is good. Actually, I wasn't TOO worried. I had accepted the risk and was pretty happy that there would be an out, especially in light of your experiences.

Now, to pluck up courage to 'Odin' the cm 10 and gapps files!!

Thanks all.

dugimodo
21-11-2012, 08:02 AM
You probably saw this already but kill any Kies processes from task manager before running odin, it stuffs up the connection.

linw
21-11-2012, 08:58 AM
Thanks for the tip, dugimodo. Appreciated.

I still have the problem that I can't get into Odin recovery. Selecting it just produces a black screen. Is this a byproduct of having installed CWM?

I also haven't found the button presses to bring up cwm at startup time.

Chilling_Silence
21-11-2012, 01:17 PM
It's the opposite of Download mode, so Pwr + Home + Vol-Dwn or Vol-Up but I can't remember coz ours been a while... :-)

linw
21-11-2012, 10:56 PM
Thanks, Chill, but there is no physical Home button on these tabs. Just power and vol up/dn. Tried pwr and vol up but nothing happens.

The lack of Odin Recovery is problematic. Can't find anything to explain this.

Chilling_Silence
21-11-2012, 11:28 PM
So you can't get into Download Mode to use with Odin pressing Vol-Down + Power? You're trying this from fully powered off, right?

linw
22-11-2012, 08:44 AM
I can get into Download mode, but nothing happens when I switch to Recovery mode. I select it and just get a black screen.

I wonder if I have got my wires crossed in my understanding of CWM? I am thinking it has an alternate key sequence to the Odin one to get into CWM recovery mode. Or is the same key sequence required but Odin recovery is switched with CWM recovery? If that is the case, it looks like the Odin Recovery program has been removed/overwritten by a non-functioning CWM one.

Wish I hadn't messed with CWM, now. At least I used to have a functioning Odin load from SDCARD routine. Looks difficult to get rid of CWM and revert to Odin Recovery.

Grateful if you can help with my (mis)understandings!

mikebartnz
22-11-2012, 10:11 AM
I wonder if I have got my wires crossed in my understanding of CWM? I am thinking it has an alternate key sequence to the Odin one to get into CWM recovery mode.
I would think it would be using the exact same key sequence.

Chilling_Silence
22-11-2012, 11:00 AM
No there's an alternative key sequence to get into Recovery (Stock or CWM) vs Download Mode (For Odin).

If you get into recovery and the screen is blank, tap the power. If that doesn't work, tap the buttons you used to get into recovery (briefly, don't hold them down for ages or it'll restart). I had the same issue on my N7...

GameJunkie
22-11-2012, 11:01 AM
http://www.androidauthority.com/galaxy-tab-8-9-p7300-p7310-android-4-1-1-jelly-bean-cyanogenmod-10-cm10-105941/

linw
23-11-2012, 10:18 AM
Thanks, GameJunkie, but my big problem is that I can't get into Recovery Mode. I can get into Download mode but not sure whether this is the way to fix this up. Applying CWM seems to be what stuffed my Recovery Mode.

It's very frustrating. I have waded through so many posts but none that tell me how to get my Odin Recovery back.

Chilling_Silence
23-11-2012, 02:35 PM
Wait so what *can* you currently get into? Coz on the one hand you're saying you can get into Download Mode (Which is what you use Odin with), but on the other hand you're saying you can't?! I'm confused....

Bank just rang me last night, offering me one of these if I re-sign my mortgage for 3 years :D Only problem is it's gonna be cheaper for me to break my current mortgage right now and re-sign for two years, will save myself a few grand even! :-/

linw
23-11-2012, 04:28 PM
Good luck with the mortgage, Chill:) Pity about the free Tab. I got my Tabs for $329 ea, being spare ones from a cut-price school deal.

We can't have you confused! I can see how that happened, though. Trouble is there is a PC Odin prog used with Download mode and there is the in-built Odin Recovery mode. The in-built Recovery didn't work as it was wiped by CWM. I eventually got over that by using the PC Odin with the Android Download mode - flashed a Recovery img file.

But I have been through many stresses today! Several times I thought the tab was buggered! I have learnt a few things though, thank goodness. I have used the PC Odin and Download mode to some effect. This combo seems the best method of updating roms. But you need to find tar.md5 files.

My tab now has a Malaysian ICS ROM running fine and I will leave it at that - at least till my nerves settle down!

Thanks everyone for your help, especially Chill. You were right, Chill, these are hard to totally trash!!

Chilling_Silence
23-11-2012, 05:16 PM
Right so the standard recovery (I think you've been calling it Odin Recovery?) gets overwritten, basically it's a partition on the phone I believe, and it'll be wiped and replaced with CWM recovery.

Now that you have a custom ROM on it, probably with a custom recovery (CWM?) it should be piss easy to flash that, factory reset, and be away laughing with a new one.

Keep in mind there's two types of files. If you've got a .md5 file you'll flash that through Odin. If you have a .zip, you likely flash it via CWM Recovery :) CWM recovery flashing is definitely the easiest once you've figured it out and got the right files for it :)

linw
24-11-2012, 11:31 AM
Yea, mate, I have now got the tar/zip odin/cwm sorted clearly. The cwm I added I now find was one that didn't have the recovery image! No wonder I couldn't get into it!

Latish last night I got cwm on the tab and decided to have a go at the cm10 zip file. It loaded up OK but it kept scrolling rt to left and the graphics were garbled. Looking at the cm10 thread I see that I am not the only one to get this. I think a later kernel (3.1?) causes this.

Anyway, I am happy with the 4.0.1 ICS stock Malaysian rom so will stop being envious (for now, anyway!!).

I'll get that rom onto my wife's one as well. It is nicer than HC 3.2.

Cheers.

Chilling_Silence
24-11-2012, 12:47 PM
They've just begun migrating to Android-4.2 for all things Jellybean. Hang in there, Jellybean is worth the upgrade if you can!!

linw
25-11-2012, 10:35 PM
I'll certainly be into a stock JB rom if/when it comes out for the P7310. But no pressure ATM.