PDA

View Full Version : How to clean tarnished contacts in mobo peripherals, ram slots etc.

braindead
20-11-2012, 12:37 PM
Sometimes my PC won't boot but reseating RAM and other peripherals fixes the problem. An eraser is good for the actual card contacts but what's a good way to clean the recessed slot contacts?

Thanks for your help folks.

Terry Porritt
20-11-2012, 12:56 PM
CRC CO Contact cleaner.

http://www.crc.co.nz/Automotive-Cleaners--Degreasers-Electrical-Cleaners/p1/CO-Contact-Cleaner-i960025f2-8a28-4cdf-b2e6-e4c96d6b5b86-6538.htm

braindead
20-11-2012, 02:27 PM
Thanks Terry

Does this dissolve the oxidation layer without any further "rubbing"? I've tried it previously. It works for a while, then reverts to intermittent contact.

Alex B
20-11-2012, 03:35 PM
Usually I would apply that and then insert remove and reinsert the ram a couple of times to act as a "rubbing"

pctek
20-11-2012, 05:27 PM
Isopropyl Alcohol.

You have to be careful on PC parts, wrong substance can eat at it.

Agent_24
20-11-2012, 07:00 PM
Sometimes my PC won't boot but reseating RAM and other peripherals fixes the problem. An eraser is good for the actual card contacts but what's a good way to clean the recessed slot contacts?

I've never bothered or seemed to need to, only cleaned the cards.

Whatever you do, do NOT use sandpaper as you'll remove the plating and then you'll really have a problem. You probably already know that, but I just wanted to throw it out there just in case (and for anyone else who reads this, too)

If the problem keeps happening though, I would also check to make sure it's not actually something else causing it - two examples I can think of spring to mind: A board where the BIOS was out of date and a newly-upgraded CPU not supported properly, and several cases where the BIOS battery was flat. There are likely to be many more possible faults to result in similar symptoms.

In both cases I observed, powering down the system and cleaning\swapping RAM etc would give the thing enough time to 'recover' and start magically working next power on, only to stop working the next day, where the cleaning cycle "magically" fixed it again - Upgrading the BIOS and replacing the batteries solved the problems completely.

Terry Porritt
20-11-2012, 07:41 PM
Thanks Terry

Does this dissolve the oxidation layer without any further "rubbing"? I've tried it previously. It works for a while, then reverts to intermittent contact.

Most contacts are gold plated these days so there shouldn't be any oxidation layer. It sounds as though you may have some cheap dodgy components for intermittent contacts to keep ocurring, or there is some atmospheric contamination.