PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8 - DEP, and BIOS

SanChippy
19-11-2012, 02:38 PM
I'm looking to upgrade to Windows 8 on my Acer Aspire 6920/Aspire 6920G (I'm not exactly sure which, the product labels are not at all helpful), and was wondering how to find out if Hardware based Data Execution Prevention is on or not, and if I want to turn it on would I need to update my BIOS to allow the enable DEP in it?

Also, which BIOS update should I use to update my Acer Aspire 6920/Aspire 6920g. I can't find out which one it is, the labels are very confusing, as the labels state different things?

Speedy Gonzales
19-11-2012, 02:59 PM
Depending on the version of windows thats installed, I would run system information. What does that say, and what BIOS does it say its got now??

You would have to go thru each menu in the BIOS. And see if its got an DEP option

SanChippy
19-11-2012, 09:27 PM
It says that it is a Aspire 6920, but labels say otherwise. Hmm.

Yeah I went through through each menu, there was no DEP option, but for some reason it does support hardware based DEP.
Hmm. I also used the wbemtest.exe to find out if it was available and it gave a 'True' reply.
Does this mean that it is enabled as well?

Speedy Gonzales
20-11-2012, 08:30 AM
According to this (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/912923). If you do this,

Method 1: Use the Wmic command-line tool. You can use the Wmic command-line tool to examine the DEP settings. To determine whether hardware-enforced DEP is available, follow these steps:

Click Start, click Run, type cmd in the Open box, and then click OK. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

wmic OS Get DataExecutionPrevention_Available

If the output is "TRUE," hardware-enforced DEP is available. <- If this is what you mean, it may means its there (in the BIOS), but it may or not be enabled at the mo

And if you do this

To determine the current DEP support policy, follow these steps.

Click Start, click Run, type cmd in the Open box, and then click OK.

At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

wmic OS Get DataExecutionPrevention_SupportPolicy

The value returned will be 0, 1, 2 or 3. This value corresponds to one of the DEP support policies that are described in the following table.

DataExecutionPrevention_SupportPolicy property value Policy Level Description
2 OptIn (default configuration) Only Windows system components and services have DEP applied
3 OptOut DEP is enabled for all processes. Administrators can manually create a list of specific applications which do not have DEP applied
1 AlwaysOn DEP is enabled for all processes
0 AlwaysOff DEP is not enabled for any processes

SanChippy
20-11-2012, 05:23 PM
Okay, so I tired the first thingy but it didn't work, it came up with an invalid error or something like that.

Then the next one gave an output of 2 OptIn (default configuration) Only Windows system components and services have DEP applied.
Yet I still don't know if it is also enabled via hardware.

Hmm...

Speedy Gonzales
20-11-2012, 05:54 PM
Ok, install speecy, do a custom install if its got the option (http://www.piriform.com/speccy/download). In case it installs something you dont want

What does this say, this thing is?? And what BIOS (if it shows it), is on it?

SanChippy
25-11-2012, 07:22 PM
It shows version 1.05

The mobo model is Aspire 6920

Anyway I found a way to find if Windows was working with Hardware DEP by using this command in cmd.exe:

wmic OS Get DataExecutionPrevention_Drivers

it returned true!!
so I assume that this would mean that hardware dep is enabled and working.

Thanks.
:)

Speedy Gonzales
25-11-2012, 07:34 PM
Looks like its up to 1.16 now if this is it
(http://support.acer.com/us/en/product/default.aspx?tab=1&modelId=568)
Yup I guess it is enabled. But it should be in the BIOS somewhere. Something like Data execution