PDA

View Full Version : Wireless modem with nice software ?

Organicpete
19-11-2012, 01:04 PM
Hi Folks,
I may have run out of sympathy for my DSE XH9950.... interface that won't open in my browser
and was never updated. Makes opening ports a nightmare
Can anyone kindly recommend one that has a UI that actually opens.
Blinking shame as the hardware itself is faultless
cheers
Pete

wratterus
19-11-2012, 04:59 PM
http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=MODAS0120&name=ASUS-DSL-N12U-B1-ADSL22+-Wireless-N-300Mbps-Modem-

Speedy Gonzales
19-11-2012, 05:34 PM
Only thing I found with that modem Wrat. It takes forever to sync sometimes. If you turn it off. I dont know if its the modem or this line. Sometimes, I have to turn it off and on 3-4 times, before the Internet led comes on.

Hopefully 1.0.39 of the firmware (when it comes out - its in beta atm) will fix it. The beta isn't listed on the ASUS site yet. But a guy from ASUS has posted the link to it, in the ASUS forum (for this modem)

But, besides that annoyance, its good enough for me atm. 2 PC's and a wireless printer work fine with it

Chilling_Silence
19-11-2012, 07:40 PM
wratterus beat me to it :D +1 for that recommendation!

Organicpete
20-11-2012, 12:48 AM
Thanks Guys
Great response as always :)
cheers
Pete

wratterus
20-11-2012, 08:52 AM
Only thing I found with that modem Wrat. It takes forever to sync sometimes. If you turn it off. I dont know if its the modem or this line. Sometimes, I have to turn it off and on 3-4 times, before the Internet led comes on.

Hopefully 1.0.39 of the firmware (when it comes out - its in beta atm) will fix it. The beta isn't listed on the ASUS site yet. But a guy from ASUS has posted the link to it, in the ASUS forum (for this modem)

But, besides that annoyance, its good enough for me atm. 2 PC's and a wireless printer work fine with it

True, not something I've experienced, but we've only just started using these so haven't got a lot of experience with them. The few I've set up I've been very impressed with.

inphinity
20-11-2012, 10:05 AM

Do you have a fairly noisy line? Most of Asus' DSL products over the years (from about the AAM6000EV on) have had very aggressive syncing, such that they'll make several attempts if the initial attempts are too far below optimal speed. It makes them, imo, very solid and well-performing, but a little slower to sync up.

Speedy Gonzales
20-11-2012, 10:34 AM
No its fine when you talk on the phone. The only prob I had was if the fax/printer was on (with the old 2.4 ghz phones), after so many minutes, the phone would echo. I fixed that prob, by biffing the 2.4 ghz phones, and getting 1.8 cordless phones.

But, the jack feels a bit loose (I have a feeling this maybe the cause). But, if I get a tech or whoever to check it, and its fine, I'll be paying for it. And thats not going to happen lol. I'm not paying for a jack, since it was like that when we moved in here

But the speeds are still fine. Still get 1.5-1.6