PDA

View Full Version : My computer is being shut down at random

lostsoul62
19-11-2012, 09:25 AM
I installed Windows 8 and another monitor on my GeForce GT 240 video card. I have one monitor on a DVI and another monitor on VGA. Every couple of minutes the computer shuts down. It can be anywhere from one minute to one hour or maybe not at all. My power setting or set to NEVER on both monitor and Sleep. I'm wondering if it can be my Video card that is shutting down my computer. I know Video cards, and RAM or the 2 bad guys that can stop a computer cold. Any suggestions?

Speedy Gonzales
19-11-2012, 09:30 AM
By shutdown, do you mean it restarts/reboots. Or it shuts down completely?? Like when you select shut down in windows? If it turns off, then it maybe overheating

CYaBro
19-11-2012, 09:38 AM
Have you had another operating system on this computer? Was it working fine then?

Tbird650
19-11-2012, 09:49 AM
Use Speccy (http://www.piriform.com/speccy) to check for overheating. It could be simply dust/lint blocking the cooling.

dugimodo
19-11-2012, 12:03 PM
First is it just suddenly powering down, or is it shutting down properly?
A sudden instant power off is often a sign of overheating, whereas a shutdown or reboot can have a lot of causes either software or hardware related.

lostsoul62
19-11-2012, 05:07 PM
A sudden instant power off is often a sign of overheating, whereas a shutdown or reboot can have a lot of causes either software or hardware related

It just powers off. It's not my monitors, or my OS. All the fans are working and so is the CPU fan. My CPU is running at 90C. I'm going to put in a new 750 power supply tomorrow and see if that doesn't fix it.

Speedy Gonzales
19-11-2012, 05:10 PM
90 is a bit high isnt it. Thats probably why it shuts down. To stop it from frying. I would stop using it till you fix this. Or you'll probably kill / fry something sooner or later

wainuitech
19-11-2012, 05:18 PM
Simple way to tell if its overheating ( esp the CPU) when it shuts down, if it wont restart right away its the CPU overheating, the inbuilt safety wont let it start again till it cools down.

lostsoul62
19-11-2012, 06:53 PM
Simple way to tell if its overheating ( esp the CPU) when it shuts down, if it wont restart right away its the CPU overheating, the inbuilt safety wont let it start again till it cools down.

After it shuts off I can restart it so I'm hoping it's my power supply which I will replace in the morning. I think I can sleep better knowing it shouldn't be my CPU. The computer is 4 1/2 years old. Also 90C isn't really hot because Intel can run at 100 OK but AMD runs cooler.

Paul.Cov
19-11-2012, 07:00 PM
Just coz some CPUs can run at 100 C doesn't mean it's a good idea to do so.

Heat is a CPU's biggest enemy, and 90 degrees is too darn hot!

If your fans are spinning briskly and the heatsink isn't full of dust, then you should get some thermal compound, remove your heat sink, clean it, clean the CPU face, and reseat it with a THIN even layer of heat paste.

Or if you're overclocking, then get real and back it off to production specs.

icow
19-11-2012, 08:24 PM
After it shuts off I can restart it so I'm hoping it's my power supply which I will replace in the morning. I think I can sleep better knowing it shouldn't be my CPU. The computer is 4 1/2 years old. Also 90C isn't really hot because Intel can run at 100 OK but AMD runs cooler.

90 is hot. I have a Phenom II, runs sub 30 degrees idle and never over 60 on load. Most sandy bridge chips are the same (Ivy is a bit hotter).

lostsoul62
21-11-2012, 06:03 AM
I have an Intel E6550 dual 2.3 Gig at 4 1/2 years old. I put in a new 750 watt power supply. I tried different OS's and different monitors and after it tried to boot for about a minute it shut off. After that it would turn on for about 15 seconds and would not fire up the monitor. So I'm wondering if I need a new Video card or is the CPU just shot?. I have a GT 240 video card.

lostsoul62
21-11-2012, 06:25 AM
http://ark.intel.com/products/30783/...z-1333-MHz-FSB - I think it said that my CPU us support to run at 72C and shut down at 90C? So I guess I need to build another computer - I didn't see a way to edit my post?

Speedy Gonzales
21-11-2012, 08:21 AM
Pull it apart and put some more thermal paste on the CPU. That may fix the overheating. And clean out the case, if its full of dust