PDA

View Full Version : Pirated Windows 7 with Upgrade Windows 8...Does it work?

mark1978
17-11-2012, 08:12 AM
I wont lie, I have a pc with a pirated copy of Windows 7 and I am wondering if you can upgrade it to Windows 8 in a legal way!? lol.. Does that makes sense?

lakewoodlady
17-11-2012, 08:25 AM
I doubt it.

LL

CliveM
17-11-2012, 08:26 AM
I wont lie, I have a pc with a pirated copy of Windows 7 and I am wondering if you can upgrade it to Windows 8 in a legal way!? lol.. Does that makes sense?

Yes. Simply purchase a legal copy of W8 and install it.

mark1978
17-11-2012, 08:27 AM
see conflicting messages! lol... I suppose you have to try it I guess!

bk T
17-11-2012, 08:57 AM
I did a 'clean' install of Win 8 (the $19.90 cheap version) on a new HDD without any issues.

mark1978
17-11-2012, 09:04 AM
how u mean? bk T when it was first released?

lakewoodlady
17-11-2012, 09:06 AM
I thought you would have to have a genuine copy in order to download an upgrade. Wouldn't Windows do a validation check on your copy of Win 7?
But if you buy a legal copy, then just install it, that would be ok.

LL

wainuitech
17-11-2012, 09:20 AM
When windows 8 first came out you could fill out the form with all your details and get the $19.99 upgrade version.

Microsoft got "wise" and then added in (or is that forgot to add in before) a box that you had to put in your W7 Product Key, that was valid for the time period of the discount.

So without the legal key to check against it wont let you go any further.

You can still get the $49 ( or about that figure) version without any other confirmation of key.

You can do a fresh install with the upgrade media, sometimes it wont activate or show the Title style start menu, but with a simple change of one reg key it works fine.

Edited: OK seems MS are playing silly buggers again :) I have to do a upgrade for a customer who I built a PC for a short while back, entered in all details and it gave me the Promo code without requiring his existing COA -- Weird, as last one I did similar had to have the COA ??

Chilling_Silence
17-11-2012, 09:49 AM
Yeah last one I did required the COA.

Initially before they were requiring the COA I gave it a whirl on a spare machine I'd setup and intentionally used a Windows Activation Technologies remover on so it clearly *appeared* pirated.
Then installed the 8 upgrade over top.

Upgrade also installs fine on a fresh machine but it complains later when you're actually *in* Windows 8 if it wasn't able to find an existing Windows install of some description, a very *basic* anti-piracy measure that's also easy to work around with a single registry key change.

That said you *can* just buy Win8 retail and not have any worries ;)

bk T
17-11-2012, 10:00 AM
.. Wouldn't Windows do a validation check on your copy of Win 7? ...

In my case, no, MS didn't. It was stated quite clearly that we can install it on other machines.

Neil McC
17-11-2012, 10:01 AM
HI wainuitech.
I've an unused Toshiba laptop (Satellite Pro L300 PSLB9A-02L001) running Vista.Have bought a new hard drive -320 Gb- to upgrade it to 7.

I'll check with the upgrade thingy first,but would this be worth installing 8 on it while it's cheapish? It's got the product key underneath which is what I'd need?

And if I bought Win 8 and it doesn't work on this laptop,I'm still free to use it later on my main pc?
Thanks.

Neil McC
17-11-2012, 10:19 AM
Sorry, too late to edit.Not bothered about the laptop.I'll put 7 on it.
Main question is,is it worth buying 8 now while it's still cheapish?

wainuitech
17-11-2012, 11:32 AM
Changing to Windows 8 is really a personal choice.

Some like it others hate it. NO ONE can say yes or No , you really have to try it and see for yourself.

What you can do is download a Enterprise trial, valid for 90 Days and install that . you can get them from MS directly, but need a Live account, OR download from http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Windows-8-Download-196339.html Its the RTM `1 of the two top options, either 32 or 64 Bit. No product key is required as its Pre-Pidded.

Once installed it works like any other version, BUT if you decide to change to W8, you need to wipe the Enterprise and reload the Full version from Fresh. Trial works for 90 days.

The cheaper upgrade offer AFAIK only lasts till Feb 2013, so you need to make up your mind by then.

Neil McC
17-11-2012, 05:39 PM
Thanks wainui. If I bought the upgrade does it have to be installed before Feb 2013?

nmercer
17-11-2012, 05:43 PM
Thanks wainui. If I bought the upgrade does it have to be installed before Feb 2013?

no

Neil McC
17-11-2012, 06:02 PM
no
Thanks nmercer.

Lawrence
17-11-2012, 06:19 PM
If you wait it may be cheaper as it is missing sales targets

http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/windows-8-sales-well-below-projections-plenty-blame-go-around

Agent_24
17-11-2012, 08:39 PM
If you wait it may be cheaper as it is missing sales targets

http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/windows-8-sales-well-below-projections-plenty-blame-go-around

No surprise there, don't know what fairyland Microsoft is in though, clearly the blame rests firmly on Metro.