PDA

View Full Version : Connect Wii & WD Mini TV to single port

FAB
16-11-2012, 07:59 AM
Hi all
We've purchased a Wii and have a Samsung led tv that has a single composite connection but with an adaptor so you can connect component as well (hope i have that right). So we can connect Wii via red/white/yellow leads and then take those off and connect our WD Mini tv device which has a hard disk attached, and has red/white/yellow/red/green/blu-
e cables - but the green is left hanging out.

My question: is there a video/audio selector switch that can take both of these, so we don't have to keep pulling cables out and reconnecting?
I saw one a while back that did composite but didn't do component.

Cheers for any help.

8ftmetalhaed
16-11-2012, 08:02 AM
there should be AV switches available from your local toaster shops, and also places like Jaycar and Surplus tronics. Whether or not they'll support multiple interface types is down to the individual ones, but I've seen many that do.

The Error Guy
16-11-2012, 08:43 AM
Well here's my 2c on the topic. First of all, your Samsung TV is likely to be High Definition (of some sort) up to at least 720p. The Composite video (Yellow plug with red/white for sound) is very low definition and carried an analogue video stream, usually at around 480p. You may not notice it looks terrible but once you compare it to a properly set up system where the TV is operating at its best and not having to scale the image up from then you'd never go back. Ever.

NOTE: on the cables video signals are carried over the Green/Blue/Red or just the yellow cable. The red/white leads are independent from the image signal, they are for sound only. You might know this but I thought I'd clarify

The WD Mini should have HDMI, if it does. Use that, if not use the Red, Green, Blue cables for video and the Red/white for sound (also known as Y Pr Pb) and go into the display settings on the WD TV and set it to HD out at 720p or 1080p (if you can do 1080, use it. My TV is older and only goes up to 1080i don't get hung up on the difference between i and p though)

For the Wii, I am fairly certain they don't have HDMI however if it does HDMI will be preferable followed by theY Pr PB cables (Green Blue Red + Red White for sounds) Again, set up the Wii to output a HD image from it's settings.

If the TV has Both Composite (yellow) and Y Pb Pr (Green blue red) on the same input (EG Input 2) then you might have to tell the TV what to use. Mine does this, I have to specify that I want to use input 4 as YPrPb instead of composite (yellow) so if you plug everything in and It doesn't get a signal just let us know and I'm sure we can tell you how to do it (if you haven't figured it out)

FAB
16-11-2012, 09:34 AM
Well here's my 2c on the topic. First of all, your Samsung TV is likely to be High Definition (of some sort) up to at least 720p. The Composite video (Yellow plug with red/white for sound) is very low definition and carried an analogue video stream, usually at around 480p. You may not notice it looks terrible but once you compare it to a properly set up system where the TV is operating at its best and not having to scale the image up from then you'd never go back. Ever.

Yup LED full HD. I realise that 720 is uglier than 1080i, but the WD TV mini has upscaling to give you a near 1080 experience. And really the quality is fine for us.

NOTE: on the cables video signals are carried over the Green/Blue/Red or just the yellow cable. The red/white leads are independent from the image signal, they are for sound only. You might know this but I thought I'd clarify

Yup got that already.

The WD Mini should have HDMI, if it does. Use that, if not use the Red, Green, Blue cables for video and the Red/white for sound (also known as Y Pr Pb) and go into the display settings on the WD TV and set it to HD out at 720p or 1080p (if you can do 1080, use it. My TV is older and only goes up to 1080i don't get hung up on the difference between i and p though)

No it doesn't have an HDMI port, or I would have used that. I mean that in a nice way.

For the Wii, I am fairly certain they don't have HDMI however if it does HDMI will be preferable followed by theY Pr PB cables (Green Blue Red + Red White for sounds) Again, set up the Wii to output a HD image from it's settings.

No, the Wii only has composite - red white and yellow.

If the TV has Both Composite (yellow) and Y Pb Pr (Green blue red) on the same input (EG Input 2) then you might have to tell the TV what to use. Mine does this, I have to specify that I want to use input 4 as YPrPb instead of composite (yellow) so if you plug everything in and It doesn't get a signal just let us know and I'm sure we can tell you how to do it (if you haven't figured it out)

I get signals no problem. Both devices are working fine. All I'm trying to achieve is to not have to swap the cables around everytime we want to change devices.

Re Jaycar - thanks - no idea why I hadn't thought of them. But - went to their website, only switches that do composite, nothing that I found that did component and composite. They did have composite to HDMI converters but well over $100. It's an option but I really thought there would be a selector switch that does what I want.

FAB
16-11-2012, 09:35 AM
Doh! Did quote with reply and my replies are in the quote...my bad.

dugimodo
16-11-2012, 10:10 AM
The error guy said it but maybe I can add a bit more, the yellow is composite, red/blue/green is component, red and white is stereo sound left and right.
If the green is hanging out and you still get a good picture, odds are pretty good that you are actually only using the yellow(composite) and could leave the red/blue out as well, (probably you are meant to leave the yellow out, plug the green in and set the TV& WD mini for component to get component working). You could try just composite on both and if you are happy with how it works a simple composite A/V switch will do the Job.

Depending on the size of the TV and what you connect it to the difference in definition the error guy is talking about is huge, HDMI is best, Component is next and pretty good, composite is ok on older or smaller screens but looks terrible on large HD screens.

On a similar thread http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?forumid=34&topicid=93348 someone suggested the wii can do VGA if the TV has a VGA input

The Error Guy
16-11-2012, 10:23 AM
Ahh I read it wrong. It only has one composite in (same problem with our TV in china). You can get a component switcher from ebay (if you are comfortable buying from there) http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=composite+video+switcher&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313&_nkw=component+video+switcher&_sacat=0

I checked trademe, they had nothing (based on my quick search) only component to HDMI

FAB
16-11-2012, 10:54 AM
I found this device on TM, seems to be like it would do the job? Just using an HDI port is going to be easier than using a selector...
http://www.trademe.co.nz/electronics-photography/tvs/cables-aerials/auction-533412962.htm

FAB
16-11-2012, 12:20 PM
Just realised it's going to probably be cheaper and easier just to replace the WD TV Mini with something like this, that has HDMI.
http://www.pbwellington.co.nz/p.aspx?11003

The Error Guy
16-11-2012, 02:52 PM
Well it depends on what you like and want out of the device. Some of those No name type set top boxes can be a little strange!

I'd look out for one of the google TV units 2nd hand. Made by Logitech I think. Or another WD TV.

dugimodo
16-11-2012, 03:53 PM
I have the old WDTV and it has an HDMI out, much better.