PDA

View Full Version : Turning on Google 2-step verification?

caffy
15-11-2012, 02:16 PM
Hi all,

I had 2-step verification set up initially, then I had to do a factory restart of my phone and had to reinstall Google Authenticator but I believe I set it up incorrectly this time around as since then the codes generated by Authenticator was rejected. I checked that the app was sycned to the correct time and it was. So I had the bright(?) idea of "turning it off and on again", as in turning off 2-step verification... now I can't see where I can turn it on!

The attached screenshot is what I am seeing on at accounts.google.com/b/0/SmsAuthConfig (from the settings page).

What am I missing? Do I need to clear everything and set it up all again?

Thanks

Erayd
15-11-2012, 11:23 PM
Click the 'move to a different phone' link; that will let you set up your phone again.

Note that in order for it to work successfully, the phone clock must be set correctly (although it sounds like you've already checked this) - this particular authentication method depends on both parties having a synchronised clock, so if the time on your phone is out by more than a few seconds the code it's giving you will be rejected by Google's servers.

caffy
16-11-2012, 09:58 AM
Done - but it still says 2-step verification is off....

caffy
22-11-2012, 11:44 AM
*bump*

Erayd
22-11-2012, 12:38 PM
Sorry - I missed your earlier reply. If you head to the security settings area of your account (as per the screenshot attached to this post), what do you see?

caffy
22-11-2012, 12:53 PM
This is what I see (attached).
When I click on Edit, it takes me to the same page as per my first post's attachment. No option to turn it on as far as I can see.

Erayd
22-11-2012, 01:08 PM
I've done some searching - Google's documentation is really, really vague on this. According to a number of posts I found, clicking that 'clear settings' link, and then following the reactivation steps after doing so, should turn two-factor back on. There doesn't seem to be any way to turn it back on without clearing settings though unfortunately.

caffy
22-11-2012, 01:29 PM
OK thanks - I will try that, but want to check that doing that (clearing settings) will not lock me out of my Google account or anything like that? I loooove my current email address to give it up for another one! :)

Erayd
22-11-2012, 03:12 PM
OK thanks - I will try that, but want to check that doing that (clearing settings) will not lock me out of my Google account or anything like that? I loooove my current email address to give it up for another one! :)It shouldn't do - that will clear the two-factor settings only. Everything else should be left alone.

If you're worried, just make sure that you have a backup email address set for password recovery.

caffy
22-11-2012, 04:52 PM
Thanks - that worked fine. All working again now :) thanks for your help

Erayd
22-11-2012, 05:06 PM
Glad to hear you've got it sorted :thumbs:.