PDA

View Full Version : Best LCD monitor ?

jupiter1
15-11-2012, 08:37 AM
What is a reasonable LCD flat screen in the 22" to 24" range, preferably under $300.
It will not be used for gaming but needs to have clear definition for aging eyesight.

Suggestions welcome please.
Cheers.be

Trev
15-11-2012, 08:39 AM
Viewsonic, Samsung.
:)

BBCmicro
15-11-2012, 09:17 AM
Keep in mind that the green 3.5mm audio socket on the monitor is likely to be an input not an output!

My monitor died suddenly and I had to get another one instantly from a quite normal store (AOC 2450W, 1920 x1080, 23.5", less than $300). I chose one with HDMI input, speakers-with-volume-control, and what I thought was a headphone jack because it was green. Turned out there was no audio over the HDMI and the green jack was an input to the speakers! Apparently it was coloured green so that the twittering masses know where to connect the supplied lead...

[So now I know why I had trouble connecting to the ftp server in my media player - I was trying to connect with Filezilla client! Silly me - I should have been using Filezilla server. Inputs to inputs, outputs to outputs, servers to servers...... ;) ]

Billy T
15-11-2012, 09:34 AM
I recently bought two S24B350 24" Samsung high definition gaming monitors. I am not interested in gaming, but their definition and response time was an incidental bonus and they are really good. I note today that Computer Lounge has them at $259 including GST, which is a little lower than I paid, so check out PriceSpy as there may be a price war running, or it may be a run-out model. The same monitor was around $500 at CL a few weeks back when I was in their showroom.

Installation was simple, but you will have to change your screen resolution somewhat to accommodate the wide screen aspect ratio.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Nomad
15-11-2012, 10:41 AM
Places like Ascent have the cheapest IPS screens made by AOC for under $300 (at least at the time). IPS can provide a better quality image. Note the cheaper IPS are side litted screens so you may seen some hot spot on the side, unless you spend like $700 or so ... Response times not as fast as some gaming ones. It was fast enough for DVD movies and the Xbox 360, has more ports than usual monitors including speakers and a output but that isn't that great, my bro uses a Xbox HDMI cable that allows a separate audio line to the stereo..... Has HDMI, DVI, VGA ..

zqwerty
15-11-2012, 10:41 AM
Barrington Warehouse in CHCH is selling off Philips LCD, 18" and 23" monitors for $123 and $200 at the moment, I saw them yesterday.

zqwerty
15-11-2012, 12:16 PM
Typed above post wrongly should have been LED backlit LCD Monitors.

15-11-2012, 01:43 PM
Get whatever has the longest warranty
ie 3year , zero pixel

jupiter1
15-11-2012, 07:34 PM
So, it seems that Viewsonic and Samsung are the preferred units.
Alpha City have the Samsung S24B350HTFT (flat screen) $245 gst incld.

Still 2 questions but.......
1. Type of panel. TN and IPS what are these parameters, what do they mean and which is better and why.

2. Back light. LED and CFL what are these, what do they mean and which is better and why.

Which models by these manufacturers are the best ?

Sorry to be a pest but at my time of life I want something that is going to last me until I turn into 0's and 1's and go back to the "Head programmer in the sky". :horrified

Nick G
15-11-2012, 08:40 PM
TN is older and more basic, IPS (in plane switching) is newer, and is the better technology. LED's tend to be brighter and use less power than CFL's, so you want a LED IPS screen.

The Error Guy
15-11-2012, 08:40 PM
Well as far as LED and CFL go, LED is of course light emitting diode based, LED backlit screens tend to be more power efficient whilst CFL (Compact florescent lamps as some refer to them or properly CCFL - Cold Cathode Florescent Lamps) are less power efficient. LED units can be thinner but that usually applies (don't get confused with the LEDs here) to LED displays. By that I mean Rather than LCD the screen uses LED's to make the image (in which case there is no back light at all since each pixel lights itself)

Have a read of these articles. They discribe a bit about the different types of backlighting and how they effect the performance/price/size (thickness) etc.

Very Simple breakdown of backlights - http://www.wikivs.com/wiki/CCFL_backlight_vs_LED_backlight
A bit more in depth - http://www.screentekinc.com/backlight-ccfl-led-explained.shtml
A Very deep review on the technology - http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ccfl-led-backlight,2930.html

IPS means In Panel Switching whilst TN is Twisted Nematic (also known as TFT) I'd go for an IPS panel personally, better image IMO.

jupiter1
15-11-2012, 10:05 PM
Thanks guys.
I taken everything you replied on board, read the links above and done some comparisons on PriceSpy.

I think the View Sonic VX2453mH-LED would be O. K. for me.

ZCom Computers have it at $243.80 gst incld and free shipping.
Seems like a good deal to me.

The option was the Samsung S24B350H at $245 incl gst plus shipping fees

Any comments ?
Cheers,

Billy T
15-11-2012, 11:01 PM
I'm biased, and I admit it, but I'd take the Samsung over Viewsonic any day. I'm a technical person (electronics) and Samsung are a class act with all their electronics products. A key advantage of LED backlighting over CCFL is that there is no high voltage supply needed (weak point in many monitors) and they run much cooler. The 2mS for the Samsung is very good indeed (Viewsonic is 5mS I think) and helps with the clarity, especially if watching video.

In that general price range, it is hard to conceive of a better image quality than the Samsung and I do think it would render video with better definition than to Viewsonic due to the faster response time, but I have to admit that unless you have bionic eyes, I doubt you see the difference.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

zqwerty
15-11-2012, 11:26 PM
The Philips Monitors I mentioned before:

http://www.thewarehouse.co.nz/red/catalog/product/Philips-18.5-Inch-LED-Monitor-Black?SKU=1558892

jupiter1
16-11-2012, 08:37 AM
Hi Guys,
I've gone with the Samsung mentioned above. ( S24B350H ) $266.11 incl GST and shipping.
Reason ? Our TV is a Samsung and has excellent definition and looking at a friends Samsung monitor convinced me.
Also it is ranked No. 1 on price Spy and is available from Alpha City who has excellent reviews.

Incidentally, I'm currently using a Philips 107T, about 20 years old so expect a vast improvement.

I thank you all in assisting with this. Good work team.
Phil.

Agent_24
16-11-2012, 05:28 PM
Of the few LCD monitors I have used \ own I like AOC and Philips.

I'm biased, and I admit it, but I'd take the Samsung over Viewsonic any day. I'm a technical person (electronics) and Samsung are a class act with all their electronics products.

Class act(ion) for unreliability, certainly!

http://www.dailytech.com/Samsung+to+Pay+Millions+to+Settle+Lawsuits+Over+Ma ss+LCD+TV+Failures/article24065.htm

Marvin Barrett
01-12-2012, 03:34 AM
I have Samsung the LCD is 50". The options for smaller inches are also very convenient. Overall Samsung is very good brand.