PDA

View Full Version : Lost Log-On password to my computer - is there a way around it?

Trevornchris
14-11-2012, 09:31 PM
Some 3 months ago I was given an HP Compaq 6000Pro computer by an aquaintance who was going overseas, with the licence key stating the O.S. was Windows 7 Pro and an HP label stating Windows 7 downgraded to XP Pro. It has Intel Quad Core 2 CPU.
I successfully logged on with the Username and password he gave me and played around a bit and that was it. Since it was to be a second computer and for my workshop, it has just sat there until last night when I thought I'd have another play, and make sure it still worked etc. Well I've lost the log-on details and I've got no way of contacting my friend (he probably wouldn't remember anyway) so I am stuck. Is there any way of cracking this please?

Some time ago I created the PC User Rescue on a USB stick to enable me to extract some files from my old computer, so I am able to log in to the Compaq with this but is there any point in going down this track?

Any help would be appreciated!

Agent_24
14-11-2012, 09:56 PM
Try Offline NT

Speedy Gonzales
14-11-2012, 09:57 PM
Offline NT password reset will remove it (http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/). You have to make sure you follow the instructions on how to use it

wainuitech
14-11-2012, 09:57 PM
Theres several pieces of software that will do it, BUT easiest way -- boot PC, keep tapping F8, go into safe mode, select administrator account, then go to control panel/User accounts, select the normal account, remove password, reboot as normal, straight in, no password.

Only down side is if the Admin account is pass worded as well. But that's not to hard to bypass.

dugimodo
15-11-2012, 04:27 PM
Or if it has nothing important on it and has a valid windows 7 key attached see if you can get a windows 7 disk and do a fresh install of 7. Xp is still good but I'd use 7 in preference if it's available.