PDA

View Full Version : excel conditional formatting/bar chart help

globe
14-11-2012, 05:24 PM
I am trying to put together a graphic that represents the following.

I have rated topics from 1 to 5 where 1 is BAU and 5 is needs attention urgently. I want to show this on a bar chart type set up (vertically) and with a colour gradient across the bar starting green at rating 1 and progressing through the traffic light colours so 3 is orange and 5 is red. I was looking to have the colour change via a gradual change as opposed to blocks of colour and the extent of the bar dependent on the rating (1 is a short bar 5 is a long bar).

I know with conditional formatting you can use data bars and they fade in and out of a single colour. This principle is exactly what I am after but with colour changes as opposed to fading out.

Any ideas ?

I tried setting up a bar chart with staged colours but of course using that the start and end of every bar is green and red only the length of the bar is different. Not quite what I am after.

ps using excel 2007

Cheers

globe
15-11-2012, 08:11 AM
no-one any ideas ?

Zara Baxter
15-11-2012, 08:14 AM
I wondered about using multiple conditions that alter the colour using > and < and bands but haven't had a chance to test it out.

globe
15-11-2012, 08:18 AM
I wondered about using multiple conditions that alter the colour using > and < and bands but haven't had a chance to test it out.

I had a go at that yesterday and didn't have much success unfortunately. Be great if you could get it to work

pctek
15-11-2012, 11:13 AM
This may help?

http://www.ozgrid.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166921

parkermali
17-12-2012, 08:15 PM
I am trying to put together a graphic that represents the following.

I have rated topics from 1 to 5 where 1 is BAU and 5 is needs attention urgently. I want to show this on a bar chart type set up (vertically) and with a colour gradient across the bar starting green at rating 1 and progressing through the traffic light colours so 3 is orange and 5 is red. I was looking to have the colour change via a gradual change as opposed to blocks of colour and the extent of the bar dependent on the rating (1 is a short bar 5 is a long bar).

I know with conditional formatting you can use data bars and they fade in and out of a single colour. This principle is exactly what I am after but with colour changes as opposed to fading out.

Any ideas ?

I tried setting up a bar chart with staged colours but of course using that the start and end of every bar is green and red only the length of the bar is different. Not quite what I am after.

ps using excel 2007

Cheers

try the following http://csharp.net-informations.com/excel/csharp-format-excel.htm you can apply your tricks to do.

parker.