PDA

View Full Version : Linux server converted into a media centre

jcr1
14-11-2012, 03:27 PM
I built a server, last year, based on Debian Linux. And it works very well.
But because I went bigger 'n better this year with a server, which has Proxmox installed on it, I'm wondering what to do with the first server.

A few years ago I bought a Mediagate MG350 (media centre), which at the time worked fine, up to a limit - time has moved on and so have our expectations.

What would it take to setup that debian machine as a media centre? To do most things that reasonably good machines of this nature do. Further, would it be possible to have it connected to the internet? I see this as very possible as I can do that now, easily, sitting in the lounge with my laptop (same thing with TV being monitor).

Cato
14-11-2012, 03:58 PM
You don't need to do much. Install XBMC.

Should be plenty of guides on how to accomplish this on debian.

jcr1
14-11-2012, 04:29 PM
Thanks Cato. I'll have a look at that :)

gary67
14-11-2012, 07:13 PM
Have a look at Open elec as well meant to work well (http://openelec.tv/)

or take your pick from here (https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=linux+media+cntre+distro&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a#hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=yIY&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&spell=1&q=linux+media+center+distro&sa=X&ei=EEKjUK3DH4uQiQfv-YHYAQ&ved=0CB4QvwUoAA&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.&fp=c1ffabd2b047489e&bpcl=38626820&biw=1440&bih=803)

jcr1
16-11-2012, 10:40 AM
Someone has also suggested using Windows Media Center, as found on most win7 installs.
That would perhaps be easier:confused:, but it would mean installing win7 (pro or home premium) over the top of my existing Debian server install.
That's not too big a deal as everything's on my new server anyway, just that it was the first one and I sweated blood and tears:horrified
in getting it right.
My pal, who is a linux man, uses windows media center, because it just does the job, no fuss.

Editor's choice in latest PC World was Western Digital WD TV Live, device. For $189, that looks simpler still?