PDA

View Full Version : Windows Updates

Iantech
14-11-2012, 02:35 PM
Just see my system has the little shield there beside the shut down and thought I would have a look at what they are before turning the machine off. Damn, are they for real?

7 important updates selected 87.1 MB !!!

Cumulative update for IE9 (26.9Mb) - I thought IE 9 to download was only about 16Mb. - the update is 1 1/2 times the size of the programme :confused:
.Net framework 3.5.1 update (13MB)
.Net framework 4.0 update (25.2Mb)
.Net framework 4.0 update (15.5MB) - different kb number
Win 7 security update (121kb)
Win 7 security update (1.5Mb)
Mal software removal tool - Nov (4.8Mb)

Thats nuts. Anyone else received a heap of updates today?

Chanvin
14-11-2012, 02:38 PM
Yep... I've got a total of 27 new important updates needed, totaling 131MB ... I just updated last week too o.O

DeSade
14-11-2012, 02:48 PM
If you don't use IE then don't bother with that one
.Net is always important and so is the security updates.

Speedy Gonzales
14-11-2012, 02:50 PM
Win8 was worse, 300 and something mb this morning lol. One file (KB2769165) was 166 mb! That's not inc the Office update. Which didnt appear in Windowsupdate for some reason. I had to go to the site where the security updates were to get it

Terry Porritt
14-11-2012, 02:53 PM
If anyone is using Open DNS and Win7 then be prepared for a 'bubble' warning popping up saying "Additional log on information may be required"

Apparently this is caused by kb2750841. One fix is to uninstall this update. Open DNS also has a fix, read here

http://forums.opendns.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=16465

and here

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/264221-constant-additional-log-information-may-required-pop-up-2.html

pcuser42
14-11-2012, 03:05 PM
I've got 15 optional updates here on Windows 8 totalling 413MB, otherwise up to date. There's two large ones: a 163MB one and a 143MB one, the next largest being a Visual Studio update.

wainuitech
14-11-2012, 03:21 PM
LOL Drop of water in the Ocean -- try watching a few HD videos on Youtube and they will suck through more data than a few updates.

Iantech
14-11-2012, 04:15 PM
True that WT. They just seem huge. Maybe MS staff just got back from spring break, and being all refreshed, got stuck in and actually fixed something lol. I'll turn Win 8 on tomorrow and let that scare me if its anything like the updates Speedy & pcuser have experienced :)

catspyjamas
14-11-2012, 04:26 PM
Just 14 for Vista today, and one of them was for Windows Defender. Vista doesn't get much these days....

wainuitech
14-11-2012, 04:43 PM
My W8 in the lounge just brought through 331MB.

To be honest I thought it would be more since I've also just installed the RTM of Office 2013, but nothing for that as of "yet" ;)

gary67
14-11-2012, 07:42 PM
Nothing on Win7 home pre and XP home here today or this week so far. Just as well since I'm just imaging SWMBO's XP while she is away, hasn't been done for a while might even do my machine tonight too

Terry Porritt
14-11-2012, 07:58 PM
Nothing on Win7 home pre and XP home here today or this week so far. Just as well since I'm just imaging SWMBO's XP while she is away, hasn't been done for a while might even do my machine tonight too

Odd, I had 15 for Win 7 Home Premium and 4 for XP Pro first thing this morning, including the warning message in Win 7 mentioned above because of using OpenDns

JAYMCG
14-11-2012, 09:49 PM
omg lol i wondered about those stupid updates and i'm glad i ALWAYS have them OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!

i turn updates OFF and keep them OFF, they clog your computer with loads of junk and slow it down, chews up all your internet data, takes forever to shut down your computer and slow start ups too!

I think its Microsofts way of keeping track of whos using what software maybe i don't know but they sure suck!

JAYMCG
14-11-2012, 09:58 PM
we have one laptop and one desktop running windows 8 pro, 2 netbooks running windows 7 starter and all 4 have updates set to off always and we never have a problem, if they need a program i just download and install it when needed. :D

pcuser42
14-11-2012, 10:01 PM
omg lol i wondered about those stupid updates and i'm glad i ALWAYS have them OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm glad I always have them on, I like my security ;)

i turn updates OFF and keep them OFF, they clog your computer with loads of junk and slow it down, chews up all your internet data, takes forever to shut down your computer and slow start ups too!

Not once have I ever had an update slow my computer down. All they do is replace small system files with other small system files...

I think its Microsofts way of keeping track of whos using what software maybe i don't know but they sure suck!

R2x1
14-11-2012, 10:54 PM
Windows Genuine Advantage was such an epic piece of Microsoft at times - those poor people without auto-updates might have missed it. (It was probably designed for Vista.) Admittedly, however, it is good that Windows put the intended address right in the title of Auto-Update. The whole execution is at times an epic example of Ballmerdrick at its finest.

zqwerty
15-11-2012, 11:12 AM
Win8 updated but nothing for Win7 or XP so far, all on same Telecom Modem/Router. Will try Win7 laptop soon.

zqwerty
15-11-2012, 11:48 AM
No update for Win7 laptop as well, 2nd WinXP desktop is updating however, hmmm interesting.

Cicero
15-11-2012, 12:01 PM
Why am I the only one left out, doesn't seem fair.

Iantech
15-11-2012, 02:22 PM
My W8 in the lounge just brought through 331MB.Just turned the Win 8 box on, 332.8Mb for 8 updates. :)

The little Eee (Win 7 starter) had about 12, took it about 40 mins to install and took another year off the hard drive lol.

Have to say its the largest (Mb) lot of updates I can remember - short of a service pack.

zqwerty
15-11-2012, 02:54 PM
I set my computers to inform me but don't automatically download updates maybe that is why no updates so far, MS is prioritizing updates if they are set to Automatic?????

Annoying really as I like to update on a none mission-critical computer and see if there are any bad effects before committing to holus-bolus updating of all laptops and desktops from bitter experience, plus like to be able to tell people that I advise with assurance that I am correct from personal experience.

Iantech
15-11-2012, 03:50 PM
Interesting zqwerty, if you open windows update, does it say there are any waiting? And if you try a manual check for updates, does it tell you then?

zqwerty
15-11-2012, 06:56 PM
Yes already manually updated one XP computer, got the others switched off for now, just using my Win 8 Pro RTM which I am starting to enjoy even though it is running on a Pentium D CPU 2.80GHz x64-based processor with 2.00GB Ram which used to have XP on it.

JAYMCG
15-11-2012, 07:13 PM
I'm glad I always have them on, I like my security ;)

Not once have I ever had an update slow my computer down. All they do is replace small system files with other small system files...

lol yea small files that are your personal files!

wainuitech
15-11-2012, 07:22 PM

We bit paranoid are you ?

From years of experience with hundreds of customers, some people who think MS are spying on them usually have something to hide -- like pirated software ;)

pcuser42
16-11-2012, 10:08 AM

:lol:

What a load of bollocks, if you actually bother to read the KB articles Microsoft says which files are modified.

16-11-2012, 10:50 AM
Not once have I ever had an update slow my computer down.

They do slow many PC's down, but only when they are downloading & installing.
You could also be well justified to waiting 1 week in case the update has some nasty bugs/side effects(as has happened many times)
Some slower/older PC's & laptop's its often better to set Winup's to 'inform but dont download' , so you can install them at the end of the day, when youve finished using the PC.
Even with 'inform only' , you can get MS forcing some updates through & trying to force a restart regardless(does occasionly happen , a issue on servers )

pcuser42
16-11-2012, 11:33 AM
Even with 'inform only' , you can get MS forcing some updates through & trying to force a restart regardless(does occasionly happen , a issue on servers )

For an out-of-band update that fixes a zero-day flaw, this is understandable.