PDA

View Full Version : Outlook Express 6 ………..

B.M.
12-11-2012, 08:06 AM
…..has lost half my Inbox messages. :o

Everything prior to 22/4/12 is there but everything between then and 11/11/12 has gone.

Google goes on about an inbox.bak folder that will be found in the Recycle Bin but there ain’t one there.

Anyone any bright ideas? System Restore?

I have heard of Outlook Express pulling tricks like this so it might be time to change mail handler. All recommendations on this will be appreciated. :thanks

wainuitech
12-11-2012, 08:09 AM
That can sometimes happen if you have to much mail in Outlook Express, there is a size limit of all combined folders in the mail, meaning, inbox, sent items, deleted items, and any others you may have.

Renegade
12-11-2012, 08:44 AM
Check %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{Identity-GUID}\Microsoft\Outlook Express\ for inbox.bak

B.M.
12-11-2012, 08:45 AM
That can sometimes happen if you have to much mail in Outlook Express, there is a size limit of all combined folders in the mail, meaning, inbox, sent items, deleted items, and any others you may have.

Yep, I figure that is what has happened, but is there anyway to recover what's missing?

Would System Restore be of any use? I recall there used to be a Repair option included, but that may have been with OE5 or earlier.

B.M.
12-11-2012, 08:55 AM
Check %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{Identity-GUID}\Microsoft\Outlook Express\ for inbox.bak

inbox.dbx is there, but no sign of inbox.bak?

The Search function can't find an inbox.bak anywhere either? :crying

pctek
12-11-2012, 10:26 AM
Would System Restore be of any use?
No. It fixes system files, not data.

Have you got hidden files showing? This is why you shouldn't keep stuff in email, if it's that important save the contents as a file instead.
And back it up.

B.M.
12-11-2012, 01:33 PM
No. It fixes system files, not data.

Have you got hidden files showing? This is why you shouldn't keep stuff in email, if it's that important save the contents as a file instead.
And back it up.

Yes, that's what I thought.

Yes, hidden files showing.

Fortunately, what's missing isn't hellishly important so it's no real big deal.

However, continuing to persevere with a programme known for its epilepsy seems rather foolish, so how does Thunderbird compare? :thanks

linw
12-11-2012, 01:44 PM
I'd recommend Thunderbird. I have used it happily for many years, now.

pctek
12-11-2012, 01:46 PM
However, same applies, save the info, and back up.
In fact back up both.

Speedy Gonzales
12-11-2012, 01:48 PM
Hopefully TB doesnt take all day configuring your email. Since it (or previous versions) thought it knew everything about your ISP settings, it put in what it thought were the right settings for my ISP. And it never worked. In the end I had to do it manually, so I could send / receive emails.

wainuitech
12-11-2012, 02:09 PM
However, continuing to persevere with a programme known for its epilepsy seems rather foolish Wouldn't say that.

Outlook Express is a old program these days, it first came out in 2001,-- Cant go blaming an old program if a user exceeds its limits that were imposed at the time since its over 11 years old.

Since it first came out there have been several newer MS mail Clients, all capable of handling more capacity, and adding different features.

linw
12-11-2012, 04:12 PM
Too, true, PCTek.

Agree, Speedy, set it up manually!