PDA

View Full Version : Replace XP with Linux

ianhnz
10-11-2012, 01:36 PM
Hey guys.
Getting really sick of our XP Home.
Seems I have do do a format reload each 6 months, or so.
Been thinking about Linux.
Any advises of a nice, easy, clean change over from XP?
Wife uses computer, at lot and not a quick leaner, so need something thats a bit like XP.
Thanks,
Ian

sahilcc7
10-11-2012, 01:48 PM
What are the specs? PC Linux OS feels like Windows.

Agent_24
10-11-2012, 01:52 PM
The closest thing to Windows is ReactOS but it's not really ready to use yet.

My advice would be to try different versions of Linux (Live CDs are great for this) and just see what you think.

Personally I'm using Xubuntu with XFCE at the moment because I can make things look very much like the Windows taskbar and classic start menu.

KDE also looks quite similar to Windows style.

ianhnz
10-11-2012, 02:27 PM
What are the specs? PC Linux OS feels like Windows.

Says, AMDAthlon 2400+ 2.00 GHz 1.93 GB ram.

Hope thats what you mean?

ianhnz
10-11-2012, 02:28 PM
The closest thing to Windows is ReactOS but it's not really ready to use yet.

My advice would be to try different versions of Linux (Live CDs are great for this) and just see what you think.

Personally I'm using Xubuntu with XFCE at the moment because I can make things look very much like the Windows taskbar and classic start menu.

KDE also looks quite similar to Windows style.

Tried a few, Puppy Slacko Mint V13 and Mate.

She don't like them...

Agent_24
10-11-2012, 03:08 PM
The only thing that is just like Windows is ... Windows.

You can theme up Linux to look like XP, but it will still work like Linux. As the user "Codemaniac" says here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1977533

You can install various Windoze like themes still you cannot hide a Lion in a sheep skin .
You can get the look and feel close to Win xp but the functionalities and applications available might be a world apart and this could easily fraustrate the user .

I personally think that trying to make it look as much like Windows as possible is just madness. XFCE for me provides a familiar style layout but without obfuscating the differences in functionality with a theme that looks identical to Windows.

Something like this might work: http://www.upubuntu.com/2012/08/how-to-make-ubuntu-121012041110-look.html

But, the best idea may be to try and get her to just learn the differences in Linux, while using a desktop environment that has a similar layout to Windows but not exactly the same. If that isn't going to work then I guess all you can do is keep on reinstalling Windows...

Cato
10-11-2012, 03:19 PM
Says, AMDAthlon 2400+ 2.00 GHz 1.93 GB ram.

Hope thats what you mean?

You won't get far with that. You will struggle with KDE (and probably GNOME 3).

You best bet would be something like Xubuntu. Try a live CD, see if you like it.
Hell, try a razor-qt live CD if you like the look: http://razor-qt.org/ you can install it on most distributions fairly easily if you like it.

Trial and error is the way to go, try everything and see what works for you.

ianhnz
10-11-2012, 03:50 PM
Thank you, for the comments.

Agent_24
10-11-2012, 04:00 PM

XFCE or LXDE would fly along though.

XFCE runs fine on my old Sempron 1.6Ghz with 1GB of RAM.

PENTIUM
10-11-2012, 06:24 PM
UBUNTU 12.4 is what you need. It is fully supported and works on legacy gear.

PENTIUM
10-11-2012, 07:29 PM
UBUNTU 12 is well supported and easy to use. It will run on legacy equipment quite well

sahilcc7
10-11-2012, 09:04 PM
Yeah, but Ubuntu 12.xx will be a bit too heavy for the PC.

wainuitech
10-11-2012, 09:49 PM
Something you can try -- locate an older version of Ubuntu, namely 10.4, then install this theme, http://deviceguru.com/making-ubuntu-look-like-windows-7/ it looks and works near enough to Windows 7.

I tried it quite a while back, and its very realistic. ( no idea if the downloads for the theme are still active, but the prompts in the in instructions on that page)

The "down" side is any newer version of Ubuntu breaks it, so you cant put in anything newer after 10.4 even though Ubuntu prompts for upgrades . DONT do any updates or it will break.

There may be some new themes available someplace, just do a search for something like make "Ubuntu look like windows"

Edited: if you want to try it with the theme, heres 10.4 http://releases.ubuntu.com/lucid/

Agent_24
10-11-2012, 10:11 PM
Not a good idea as the older releases will be unsupported for security updates

wainuitech
10-11-2012, 10:28 PM
Cant have your cake and eat it to :D

The Op wants to use / Asked about Linux, but its not liked for various reasons, as it was said

"Tried a few, Puppy Slacko Mint V13 and Mate.

She don't like them... "

So its a learning curve to use a different OS. ;)

While theres nothing wrong with Linux, if a person is using Windows and wants to use Linux, then they have to expect some learning somewhere along the line.

wainuitech
10-11-2012, 10:59 PM
Another that "kind of" looks like windows is Zorin OS.

I tried it a few months back when it was mentioned here by someone else, but it froze and crashed a lot, so gave up on it, and reinstalled Windows 7 which ran fine ( same hardware).

Erayd
11-11-2012, 01:44 AM
You won't get far with that. You will struggle with KDE (and probably GNOME 3).Recent versions of KDE4 will run quite nicely on that hardware - its resource requirements are much lighter than a few years ago when it was first released.

I'd recommend you turn off desktop effects though (they're on by default) - if your graphics card is rubbish, the whole interface will feel very laggy / bogged down unless effects are disabled.

Cato
11-11-2012, 02:05 PM
Recent versions of KDE4 will run quite nicely on that hardware - its resource requirements are much lighter than a few years ago when it was first released.

I'd recommend you turn off desktop effects though (they're on by default) - if your graphics card is rubbish, the whole interface will feel very laggy / bogged down unless effects are disabled.

It was a pain on an Athlon 3200+ about two years ago, while it worked like a charm on a core 2 duo though.
Still, I'd hate to run it on ten year old chips even if it's significantly lighter.

Erayd
11-11-2012, 03:38 PM
It was a pain on an Athlon 3200+ about two years ago... I'd hate to run it on ten year old chips even if it's significantly lighter.It's improved a lot since then - these days it's actually lighter on resources than KDE3 was, and KDE3 was designed with ten-year-old (and older) chips in mind ;).

Provided desktop effects are disabled, it should run well on that system.

mikebartnz
11-11-2012, 07:29 PM
It's improved a lot since then - these days it's actually lighter on resources than KDE3 was, and KDE3 was designed with ten-year-old (and older) chips in mind ;).

Provided desktop effects are disabled, it should run well on that system.
Agree. I am running PCLinuxOS on pretty much the same and it is snappy enough for me.

mikebartnz
11-11-2012, 07:31 PM
Try telling my computer that. PCLinuxOS with similar specs

Bobh
11-11-2012, 10:43 PM
I have been playing around with Zorin. I quite like it. I have used it on my laptop.

http://zorin-os.com/index.html