PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 Antivirus Pro 2013 scam

Billy T
09-11-2012, 12:47 PM
Copied from a thread on 'Windows Secrets' site:

How to get rid of Windows 7 Antivirus Pro 2013

have picked up the malware/scareware above and can't figure out how to get rid of it. It is filling my screen with bogus warnings and is blocking access to my security apps. Have been trying to find a fix but all I get from the usual search locations is offers to fix it IF I buy their software. Now it seems to have attacked MS Office and I can't open any of the MS apps. Help please!

The solution to that problem is HERE (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-win-7-antivirus-pro-2013)

But my reason for posting is this possible gem of advice (below) that I had never considered, and which might have saved me from the major upset I had some time back (fixed by Speedy, may his skills continue and his fame increase :D) had I only known. I would have automatically tried to close the pop-up!

Best way to avoid these things is to use the Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del) to end the task. Quite often the purveyors of this garbage reprogram the Red X to start the malware installation rather than close the pop up.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :)

pctek
09-11-2012, 01:14 PM
Yeah, it's not that hard to get rid of.

Paul.Cov
09-11-2012, 09:18 PM
Yeah, I've been uneasy for ages about how that X can be programmed to be no different from the OK button, where you hand over all priveledges to the malware.

A lot of people very wrongly assume (and trust) that the X is an infalible kill switch. Only convention/tradition dedicates that this is possibly the case.

If MS had any sense they'd hard code this little bit of top right screen real estate into serving only those functions of Min/Max/Close. Then we could actually trust the buttons (except when in Fullscreen aps).