PDA

View Full Version : Connected but not connected....

GameJunkie
09-11-2012, 07:39 AM
first off, router is a NetComm NB6Plus4Wn running firmware 3.104k

Had this connection issue for two days in a row now

head off to bed at midnight, the internet was connected at this point

I get woken up at 6.30 to be told its 'not working'

first look at the router i can see that from the left side of the router the power, ADSL and PPP lights are all lit up green, but the browser wont connect.

turned off router, waited and rebooted; and eventually its reconnected.

yesterday i had to turn off/reboot the router several times to get it to work.

the only thing that would have been using the net overnight is the tunein radio app i listen to on my ipod,but i've left that running through the night before so...

is it a problem on telecoms end that i cant fix/cant be fixed and is sheer bad luck for us, or something more???

i hope its not the router giving up

TIA

howickdota
09-11-2012, 08:34 AM
Try manually setting the DNS servers on your pc
1. 202.27.158.40
2. 202.27.156.72

If those don't work try the google dns servers
1. 8.8.8.8
2. 8.8.4.4

GameJunkie
09-11-2012, 09:27 AM
according to my router the DNS servers are:

Primary DNS server 122.56.237.1
Secondary DNS server 210.55.111.1

in network connections the DNS servers are set to obtain automatically

howickdota
09-11-2012, 09:38 AM
What about google dns servers?

GameJunkie
09-11-2012, 09:50 AM
i want to hear more from other members before changing anything

dugimodo
09-11-2012, 10:01 AM
Can you connect to the routers GUI when it happens? unless you've changed it it should be 192.168.1.1 user- admin password- admin

I have the same router and it usually works great but I find with mine if I connect a windows XP pc and do a lot of downloading, especially torrents, it kills my conection completely - all the lights stay green but nothing works until I reset the router, I can't even connect to the GUI as above. I fixed it by just getting rid of the XP PC :) but it still bugs me. My android devices and windows 7 or 8 - no problem - connect a XP computer - problems start. I really never understood it but it's easily replicated once you figure out what's triggering it.

I also find mine gets very hot so I moved it away from direct sunlight and made a little cooler for it to sit on, seems to help. These are generally well regarded routers, but perhaps we have just got bad ones.

GameJunkie
09-11-2012, 10:12 AM
nope, not before i rebooted the router

thats the ip/pw combo i use the to open the router page

who'se your ISP dugimodo??, cause our DNS servers seem outta whack to me

usually there's 2 phones, 2 laptops, 2 ipod touches, 1 network printer(when it wants to work), a desktop and an xbox all using the connection at once generally so am confused as to why this is happening

GameJunkie
09-11-2012, 10:16 AM
and its only happened yesterday and today which is even weirder

bk T
09-11-2012, 10:17 AM
I have the same router and it usually works great but I find with mine if I connect a windows XP pc and do a lot of downloading, especially torrents, it kills my conection completely - all the lights stay green but nothing works until I reset the router, I can't even connect to the GUI as above. I fixed it by just getting rid of the XP PC :) but it still bugs me. My android devices and windows 7 or 8 - no problem - connect a XP computer - problems start. I really never understood it but it's easily replicated once you figure out what's triggering it.

I also find mine gets very hot so I moved it away from direct sunlight and made a little cooler for it to sit on, seems to help. These are generally well regarded routers, but perhaps we have just got bad ones.

I wouldn't consider it as 'works great' if you are encountering those problems! Can't imagine you could tolerate all those! :D

Isn't it time for a change? ;)

GameJunkie
09-11-2012, 10:19 AM
it's been a rock-solid router up until this episode

dugimodo
09-11-2012, 10:38 AM
It does work great - as long as I dont connect a PC running XP and download a torrent with it which is easily avoided (I sold the PC). I should mention that I've had a string of dodgy routers so this one seems great by comparison, it runs months at a time with no issues as long as no XP machines come near my network. My old thomson spat the Dummy at least once a week, the Dlink before that maxed at 8MB downstream(but to be fair never crashed), And the one before that just died.
The best run I've had with routers was the orginal Nokia ones I had (M10 then M11) but they were rentals and had to be returned and didn't support newer standards anyway.

My ISP is xtra, but I don't think it's DNS related. It's just something causing the router to lock up, not being able to access the web page for the router or ping it indicates to me it's a router issue. I think what causes it is too many simultaneous connections, why XP triggers it on mine and win7 doesn't is just weird but I still think the fault is with the router. It seems like it gets overloaded and just dies - which is why I made the cooler.

I should have returned mine under warranty (Which was Chills advice on the thread I started for my problems) but I couldn't find the receipt and I wasn't actually having the problem very often so I didn't bother.

howickdota
09-11-2012, 10:38 AM
Your modem has retrieved Telecom DNS servers, a list is here: http://telecom.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1274/~/what-are-telecom's-dns-server-addresses%3F

I suggested changing the dns servers on your PC to rule out any name resolution issues, the settings can easily be reverted back to automatic.

GameJunkie
09-11-2012, 10:50 AM
i'll look into it thanks

if i do, i'll have to reboot all device to take effect??

GameJunkie
09-11-2012, 06:31 PM
i'll put in google's DNS servers tonight and see how it goes

howickdota
10-11-2012, 07:54 AM
I didn't mean change the DNS on your router, only on each device, that is so you can just test it.

I used to have the same router as you and sometimes it had trouble accepting different DNS servers to the ones automatically given by the ISP so it's normally easier to change the DNS on the device.

GameJunkie
10-11-2012, 08:01 AM
Update: I changed the DNS servers to Google's and no apparent issue this morning, connected as usual

Will keep an eye on it though

GameJunkie
10-11-2012, 01:34 PM
I did change the desktop first which was the issue, seems fine now