PDA

View Full Version : Freenas 8.3.0 x64 - won't complete boot

chiefnz
08-11-2012, 09:55 PM
Hi there,

Before I begin let me insert the required NEW TO LINUX disclaimer. I have knowledge of a few commands here and there but at best I am a complete novice.

So now that's out of the way here's what's happening.

I am installing (have installed) FreeNAS 8.3.0 on to a 4GB USB stick. This is running on a shuttle PC (Intel Atom 510, Intel D510M0 mobo, 3GB DDR2 and 2 x 500GB 2.5'' laptop disks)

Installation works fine and funnily enough the installer picks up the laptop disk (I could only run 1 as the mobo only has 2 SATA ports, the other was used by DVD/RW drive) and there are no installation issues.

Problem starts post install and the system is rebooted (now with the additional laptop disk), FreeNAS loads and goes through its various motion until it stops.

Attachment 1 error.jpg = this is the error message I get after the machine boots.

Attachment 2 GEOM_devices.jpg = this is the resultant output of running "?" at the prompt after the error message first appears.

I have trawled around everywhere and though several people have resolved the issue, I cannot get my head around how it all fits together.

Some say it's because the AHCI option is set to "NO" in the loader.conf file (this is by default in FreeBSD) and setting it to "YES" resolved the issue.

What is the best way for me to view the current loader.conf contents
I suspect I can edit loader.conf by using vi /boot/loder.conf OR is there a way to do this in Windows?

Others say that this is happening because DD mode = "Dangerously Dedicated" has been removed from this version of FreeNAS in favour of some sort of zeroed out method (do not quote me on this not familiar with the terminology)

Users saying this said they created a bootable USB drive with the OS on it
Used various partition tools to modify the freespace before and after the partition FreeNAS is installed on???
Used some sort of "dd if/=0" command which then did or did not fix the issue

Where do I start and how do I get this to all come together. I am suspecting there is something wrong with the GPT for the USB key as per the 1st line in "ERROR.jpg". The GPT table is corrupt or invalid?

Apologies if this is not sufficient information but will do my best to provide any more info. I would really like to get this going as this box is intended for my VMware environment's iSCSI storage.

Thanks in advance.

chiefnz
13-11-2012, 05:17 AM
Ok so update and success...

After trawling literally hundreds of pages from various forums I finally found the solution which worked (after trying many others).

1) boot FreeNAS install disk
2) Select option 2 (Shell)
3) Run gpart show which lists all disks and their partition info.
4) run gpart destroy -F {disk name}
5) repeat step 4) for remaining disks
6) reboot and re-install when done.

Cheers,