PDA

View Full Version : Disk Controller problem?

Tony
08-11-2012, 01:47 PM
On my WHS machine, Event Viewer is throwing up a lot of errors - see attached.

The text is
"The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort0, did not respond within the timeout period."

I'm assuming that means my disk controller is crapping out - am I right? Although, if I go to the help for the message it is talking about CD drives - which doesn't make a lot of sense in the context.

pctek
08-11-2012, 02:33 PM
This is a hard drive then?
In which case, run the manufacturers diagnostic on it.

dugimodo
08-11-2012, 03:27 PM
Do you have an IDE optical drive? if so why assume it's the controller? It could be the drive or a disk in it causing the error.

That aside it could be the controller, the cable, the drive connected to it, or a software or driver issue. You need to try and eliminate these one by one.
First identify what is connected to IDE Port 0, I have no access on this machine to confirm the steps but if you right click on my computer, choose manage, look in disk manager or device manager, you should be able to figure out what's connected to the relative port.

Tony
08-11-2012, 04:09 PM
I'm not sure where to look. I can't find anything to point me in the right direction in device manager, and I'm not sure where to look in Disk Manager. Is it the disk shown as "Disk0"?

Tony
08-11-2012, 04:57 PM
Well, it definitely appears to be hard drive related. If I do any sort of disk access, especially from a remote PC I get the message. There is no disk in the CD drive and there has been no CD-related activity. I have HDDLife pro installed and that is not showing any error activity on either of the two SATA disks.

Alex B
08-11-2012, 05:43 PM
Download and run the bootable version of Seatools over it.

kingdragonfly
09-11-2012, 01:19 PM
There's a good chance it's the hard drive.

The IDE port numbers are often printed on the motherboard, next to the IDE headers. If not, check the motherboard manual.

As you've guessed, disk timeouts are a bad thing, in particular on non-virtual machine.

(These disk errors can pop-up on virtual machine also, but can occur when the underlying host has paused. Not good, but not as serious)

"IDEPort0" / "IDE0" is the hardware name, which may not match the Windows volume numbering. (Often it does)

linw
09-11-2012, 02:15 PM
I have a lot of these errors but for dev numbers around 9. I now think this is caused by USB devices in sleep mode not responding quick enough. But dev0 is a bit more worrying. But maybe a shutdown HDD could register an error on restart??

Tony
11-11-2012, 12:58 PM
Well, after a bit of messing around I seem to have solved the problem. It looks like one of the SATA connectors on the mobo was iffy. when I swapped the connections round the problem went away and has stayed away for a couple of days so I'm cautiously optimistic.

Thanks for all the advice.

linw
11-11-2012, 02:17 PM
Good one. Maybe even just re-seating did it.