PDA

View Full Version : Telecom T-Stick Problem

Winston001
07-11-2012, 12:18 AM
Windows XP. I have a Telecom MF 190 t-stick which has been used for occasional 3G connection from my laptop. Purchased a year ago but when I tried it in May this year, I could not get a connection. Telecom tested it and said it was fine.

Originally my Samsung S5511 cellphone also worked as a modem but...nah, not now.

In fact I can't even see the t-stick or phone under My Computer.

Google tells me this is a known and common enough problem but the only definite remedy is to reinstall XP which sounds drastic.

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?forumid=39&topicid=98956&page_no=3

Speedy Gonzales
07-11-2012, 08:43 AM
Did you install the drivers for the cell?? If it worked, it would or should appear in device manager

wratterus
07-11-2012, 09:32 AM
Have you tried uninstalling the telecom software from add/remove programs or programs and features and reinstalling the latest Telecom ConnectMe software from here (http://tnz.ccs.smithmicro.com/downloads/TNZConnectMeWindows.exe)?

Winston001
07-11-2012, 03:36 PM
Yes I've done an uninstall and reinstall twice now of the Telecom ConnectMe software: once from the Telecom website and once, last night from the t-stick itself. What happens is everything loads including the ZTE drivers, ConnectMe initialises...then says "Device Disabled". The device initially appears in My Computer then disappears. Cannot see it under Devices at that point.

Is it possible Windows Firewall suddenly jumps into life? If the device is disabled that doesn't seem likely.

wratterus
07-11-2012, 03:56 PM
Do you have a different PC you can try the card on?

Winston001
07-11-2012, 09:15 PM
Good idea. I think I did attempt this but got interrupted so will give it another try. No monitor for my spare pc atm.

wratterus
08-11-2012, 09:20 AM
Cool, if the same thing happens on another PC (hopefully it does) the T-Stick is knackered.

Winston001
08-11-2012, 03:49 PM
Ok, I have inserted the t-stick into a desktop which loaded the ConnectMe drivers etc etc. And then connected to the net. Damn. So the thing is working fine, just not on my pc. Not only that but (as above) my cellphone won't work as a modem either when it previously did. So there is something amiss with my laptop. System Restore can't help because the last successful connection was many months ago.

Plenty of complaints in Google but no single fix that I could find.

wratterus
08-11-2012, 05:04 PM
Bummer, these issues can be very painful. :(

In the past when I've had issues with the Vodafone software refusing to work (much in the same way you are now), a workaround I've used is setting up a 'dial up' type connection using the Vodem as the modem and calling *99# or something, and that seems pretty bulletproof, obviously you lose the nicities like signal and usage meters, but at least it goes.

However I don't know the settings that would be required for Telecom, or even if it's possible. I'm fairly sure it would be, however I don't know where you would find that info sorry. :dogeye:

CYaBro
08-11-2012, 05:40 PM
Yup had this problem so many times in the workshop, with Telecom & Vodafone sticks, their software/drivers truly are crap!
Only way we've ever been able to fix it is a reinstall of the operating system.
What we do now is suggest to customers that they instead purchase a wireless router that can either take the USB dongle or the sim card directly and use the 3G connection that way instead.
It cheaper for them to do this than have us perform a backup and nuke n pave on their machine plus they'll never have the issue again and it also means that they can share the 3G connection over a wireless network so other devices can connect as well if they want.

Winston001
08-11-2012, 09:05 PM
Yup had this problem so many times in the workshop, with Telecom & Vodafone sticks, their software/drivers truly are crap!
Only way we've ever been able to fix it is a reinstall of the operating system.

Thanks, appreciated. What you say is what I have learnt from various searches (in which you appeared :D). You can understand I'm not happy about throwing this t-stick away and then spending $200 on a 3G modem. I could cope if the darned cellphone would act as a modem but it doesn't anymore.

Thanks guys for your help. Maybe this is just one of those inexplicable things we just have to grit our teeth over. I've waited 6 months before posting in the hope a solution would appear.

CYaBro
09-11-2012, 10:16 AM
Thanks, appreciated. What you say is what I have learnt from various searches (in which you appeared :D). You can understand I'm not happy about throwing this t-stick away and then spending $200 on a 3G modem. I could cope if the darned cellphone would act as a modem but it doesn't anymore.

Thanks guys for your help. Maybe this is just one of those inexplicable things we just have to grit our teeth over. I've waited 6 months before posting in the hope a solution would appear.

You can pick up a 3G router for under $100.

http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=NETTPL3020&name=TP-Link-TL-MR3020-150Mbps-Portable-3G-Wireless-N-R

wratterus
09-11-2012, 11:45 AM
+1 - that's the most painless thing to do in this situation. Just checked and your MF190 is on the compatible models list for that particular router too. :)

Winston001
11-11-2012, 11:37 PM
Appreciated team. Can a cellphone be plugged into that wireless router to be used as the modem?

wratterus
12-11-2012, 09:06 AM
Nope - just USB mobile cards. The compatibility list is here (http://www.tp-link.com/en/support/3g-comp-list/?model=TL-MR3020&location=1205).

paulw
12-11-2012, 09:17 AM
Nope - just USB mobile cards. The compatibility list is here (http://www.tp-link.com/en/support/3g-comp-list/?model=TL-MR3020&location=1205).

Guess that rules out my two T-Sticks then..