PDA

View Full Version : Will win 7 complain if I swap from a sata 3 to a sata 2 port?

8ftmetalhaed
06-11-2012, 03:30 PM
Been wondering about this for a while now and finally got a solution. Since I installed my new SSD my GPU's been running in 8x mode. I just found out it's because 8x of the lanes have been chucked over to the SSD, plugged into the 'sata 3' ports on my motherboard.
They're running off a marvel controller, while the others are all sata II and running off the board native.

So, the question is, will I 1- risk anything by swapping back to a standard port? (last time I did it between two native ports it complained a bit and reactivated) and 2- will it make a difference to my gpu performance or have a detriment on my SSD performance?

I sort of researched this prior to setting up the SSD and it seemed the best option, but I wasn't aware it'd nick lanes from my GPU. Whether or not it makes a difference I don't actually know.

8ftmetalhaed
06-11-2012, 05:28 PM
this can be locked. didn't mind it at all this time, save for a couple of driver installs. Also figured out how to take my front panel ports off in the process. And yay got my 16x PCIe back