PDA

View Full Version : Need New UPS - Recommendations??

stevensaaron
03-11-2012, 08:32 PM
Hi I have just had my UPS give up...the problems is just the last day or two it starts making a weird clicking noise, sounds like an internal power sweitch clicking on and off, however the computer keeps running, i didn't need my computer, so i've just had it switched off, however i switched it back on just now, and it keeps switching from normal to battery then normal then battery. So i guess it's stuffed??

It's a Dynamix 1000CL, and it's just over 2 years old I bought it in July 2010.

Just wondering on recommendations for a replacement, other then this problem, i've never had any issues, and it's saved my computer a few times with power outages, it automatically shuts my computer down. though actually the last couple of months it hasn't been connecting properly to my computer, it uses a serial port to talk to my computer, and thats running through a Serial to USB adapeter, which has had no problems before, my computer could pick up the UPS, but that's besides the point at the moment.

If anyone could recommend a replacement that would be great, I have heard that Dynamix are good UPS, and if I didn't ask on here i would've just gone and bought another one the same...but just thought i'd ask, and if anyone has a good deal on a UPS it would be great. I would need one at at least the same power output as this or a bit more.

thanks in advance for any help :)

wainuitech
03-11-2012, 08:57 PM
Personally We use APC - As advertised at Ascent --These ones (http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=387479) The linked one is only 700VA, but they (APC) have quite a range

stevensaaron
03-11-2012, 09:05 PM
Oh yep, thanks :), but the 750 is a bit small, i would need one that 1000VA, and the APC that size is close to a $1000, but the Dynamix one that size is about $200, which is a bit more in my price range at the moment :) also looking at the site, the 1200VA is actually a good price, and would probably be a good choice for me at the moment,

But i'd still like to hear what anyone elses thoughts are too :)

wainuitech
03-11-2012, 09:15 PM
One thing you have to be careful of is cheaper can actually mean worse. Being Cheap in Price can mean cheap in Quality as well. :2cents:

stevensaaron
03-11-2012, 09:24 PM
One thing you have to be careful of is cheaper can actually mean worse. Being Cheap in Price can mean cheap in Quality as well. :2cents:

Yep i do agree that Wainui :) If I had the money i would possibly get the APC one, cos i have heard and read that they are real good, I was recommend the Dynamix when I bought my computer, so I got it then, and it's been good for me so far, until now ;)

Billy T
03-11-2012, 10:13 PM
Hi I have just had my UPS give up...the problems is just the last day or two it starts making a weird clicking noise, sounds like an internal power switch clicking on and off, however the computer keeps running, i didn't need my computer, so i've just had it switched off, however i switched it back on just now, and it keeps switching from normal to battery then normal then battery. So i guess it's stuffed?? It's a Dynamix 1000CL, and it's just over 2 years old I bought it in July 2010.

It may just be that the battery has died, two years is a bit soon, but I've had them fail that quickly and you don't know how old it was at time of purchase. If the battery fails to pass the switch-on test cycle it can give symptoms like that. The transition from OK to stuffed happens very quickly too, like from one day to the next and with no warning. The clicking will probably be the change-over relay cycling.

Check the specs for 1000VA Dynamix UPSs , you will see two prices for what at a glance seems to be the same UPS. The cheap one has two 12 volt batteries (24 Volt) and the expensive one has three (36 volts). The cheaper version is a standard line-interactive unit with modified sinewave output, the expensive one is a fullltime online sinewave output unit. I have the latter and just days after purchase it saved me from a major power fault that caused a series of on-off cycles including brown-outs etc. The Dynamix sailed through all that without a hitch. The cheaper version would have caused a reboot, as previously experienced with my Dynamix 650VA, which now just supplies my monitor..

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

stevensaaron
03-11-2012, 10:26 PM
It may just be that the battery has died, two years is a bit soon, but I've had them fail that quickly and you don't know how old it was at time of purchase. If the battery fails to pass the switch-on test cycle it can give symptoms like that. The transition from OK to stuffed happens very quickly too, like from one day to the next and with no warning. The clicking will probably be the change-over relay cycling.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Yeah I did a quick google search, about the issue, and I suspect that it may be the battery that's dying.

and yeah when it was doing the constant clicking the UPS was still saying normal, and then it would start flicking from Battery to normal, and so i just unpluged it.

so would it be worth replacing the battery?? what would that cost sompared to a new one?? to replace it with the exact same model it would cost about $170-$185.

and if so, where could i get it looked at??

wainuitech
03-11-2012, 11:45 PM
Is this the same one ? Advertised here (http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=376453) If the Battery alone is quoted as $170-$185, may as well get a whole new unit.

stevensaaron
04-11-2012, 12:17 AM
Is this the same one ? Advertised here (http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=376453) If the Battery alone is quoted as $170-$185, may as well get a whole new unit.

Yes that is the same one... Sorry, i meant that to replace my UPS with a new one the same model, not just the battery. :) sorry for the confusion... I wouldn't know what a replacement battery would cost

Lawrence
04-11-2012, 07:10 AM
Say's here http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=UPSDNX1001&name=Dynamix-UPS1000CL-1000VA-UPS-Smart-Software-RS232. they have 2 12v/7 amp Gel cell batteries

Have a older APC with 1 battery that has had the battery replaced twice(by me),think last time it was around $30/35 but this is dependant on the quality of the battery used

dugimodo
04-11-2012, 09:07 AM
When I had a cheap UPS with a low run-time I was always tempted to buy a large deep cycle gel cell and wire it externally, I just wasn't sure if the electronics would handle it. I also wondered about building my own with a sine wave inverter, SLA charger, and SLA battery, but it just works out too much and isn't very tidy. If I lived somewhere with unreliable power I would probably go that way but in Hamilton where I am I've been in the same house for 13 years and had unexpected power cuts 3 times total, so when my UPS died I didn't replace it. Personally I think the most likely problem resulting from a power cut is data corruption and you don't need a UPS to protect from that. The odds of hardware damage while possible are fairly small in my opinion.