PDA

View Full Version : Broadband usage

ianhnz
03-11-2012, 05:17 PM
Hi ya.

Am presently with Telecom/Xtra and I just checked my broadband usage and says I've used over ^GB's today.

I have a Wifi modem, but have the wifi turned off and only have one computer.

I know that I have not downloaded much and only used mail program.

Broadband rolled over, overnight and TUC shows 3/11/2012 4:40:39 p.m. Downloaded: 6,841.00MB
Uploaded: 161.73MB
Total: 7,002.73MB -- 22.80%. 23,717.27MB remaining.

Bit strange.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ian

gary67
03-11-2012, 06:02 PM
Ring them sounds like the usage meter is stuffed

wainuitech
03-11-2012, 06:05 PM
Got any P2P programs installed / running in the background. ( torrent programs as well) ??

you can monitor the actual usage and tell if something is actually using data, or Telecom have stuffed up.

You can install NetWorx, downloadable from http://www.softperfect.com/products/networx (http://www.softperfect.com/products/networx/manual/index.htm) I use it my self and its VERY accurate giving usage of both incoming and outgoing data, and its Live, meaning it shows you what's happening right now, as well as hourly, Daily Monthly etc. -- Its free

PS: it wont tell you past amounts, but it starts working the second you install it.

sam m
03-11-2012, 06:38 PM
So are you using the xtra online usage meter and TUC?

GameJunkie
03-11-2012, 07:42 PM
i'd ring them

ianhnz
04-11-2012, 03:22 PM
Hi guys and thanks for your comments.

Re: torrent, don't even know what that is, so have to say no.
I checked TUC and Telecoms and both exactly the same reading.
I rang Telecom and spoke to some kiwi bloke and he said to check usage and turn modem off overnight. Turn back in morning and check usage.
03/11/2012 7:57:48 p.m. Downloaded: 6,862.33MB Uploaded: 164.14MB Total: 7,026.47MB -- 22.87%. 23,693.53MB remaining.

4/11/2012 7:04:45 a.m. Downloaded: 6,890.81MB Uploaded: 165.64MB Total: 7,056.45MB -- 22.97%. 23,663.55MB remaining.
A difference of 29.98 MB's.

Been checking very hour and latest is Downloaded: 6,935.19MB Uploaded: 172.92MB Total: 7,108.11MB -- 23.14%. 23,611.89MB remaining.

So, any thoughts?
Thanks,
Ian

Nick G
04-11-2012, 03:54 PM
Got any kids? They could be torrenting

ianhnz
04-11-2012, 03:57 PM
Got any kids? They could be torrenting

Just the two of us left, now.

Telecom said most used was between 10:30 and 11:30, which was strange cause we had only checked emails then, with no attachments.

ianhnz
04-11-2012, 03:58 PM
If torrent is the same as torrenting , as I said before we don't do it...

Nick G
04-11-2012, 04:08 PM
If torrent is the same as torrenting , as I said before we don't do it...
Yea its the same. I know you said you didn't do it, but if you had kids they might have been without you knowing about it.

wainuitech
04-11-2012, 06:01 PM
Like I suggested in Post #3, put in that usage meter. If you only have the One PC, and wireless is turned off, then if your PC is actually using the data it will tell you, when and exactly how much.

"If" the usage meter says 0 or next to it, and you know its not your PC using data, then you have to look at what is.

As I mentioned before as well, if theres something on the PC using data that you are not aware of it will display LIVE usage.

ianhnz
04-11-2012, 06:13 PM
Thanks again for your input.

Yes we only have the one PC, at present and use the cable direct to modem.

It is a wireless modem but I have wireless turned off.

I use the Traffic Usage Checker, does that do the same job, as the one you are talking about?

At the moment we are not doing any downloading, apart from email, just to see if something is still going on.

Ian

wainuitech
04-11-2012, 06:29 PM
Telecoms one is not always accurate. Seen it quite a bit that people are accused of using data when in fact they haven't. Best one I have seen is Telcom said the person had used approx 3 GB over a weekend, bit hard considering they were away all weekend and he modem was actually disconnected. It was later found out the Telecom meter was reading some other connection.

The one that I suggested is accurate, its only a 3MB Download, which is way less than the so called usage.

The reason for suggesting use it on your PC, is there may be something running that you are unaware of, and if there is at least you know its something on the PC. If you install it and theres next to nothing, then you can go to telecom and say its not your PC.

Looking back at your previous posts, "A difference of 29.98 MB's." So if the PC was off, and the modem was off what is used almost 30MB ?

How does Telecom account for it ?

Just to show, heres a couple of screen shots of my usage today:

I have been downloading lots of bits and bobs , various programs and watching a few videos on Youtube and sending out some files Via email to people.

1st one shows the live usage the arrow points to it, and if something is using data you'll see it ticking over, Second one shows hourly records:

4452 and 4453

zqwerty
04-11-2012, 09:24 PM
Download this:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/cports.zip

from here, if you want more info:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/cports.html

Decompress on desktop and run by double clicking the cports.exe, ignore Windows warnings.

It will show you what is running on the net from your computer and also what is connected, you can highlight all from in the Edit menu and copy and paste to this topic so we can see what is running as well.

Trev
04-11-2012, 09:52 PM
I notice on the 1st of November Telecom were having email problems again. Don't know whether this could have any bearing on the OPs problem.
:)

05-11-2012, 03:58 PM
That seems alot of data, but not so very much if spread over say a month. . See if you can get a day by day data usage to try & narrow things down a bit.

Just to eliminate some possibilities..

A Torrent/P2P type of program could have been installed by someone else , even if by 'accident' (?)
You could also have a malware infection, run Malwarebytes across the PC
http://www.majorgeeks.com/Malwarebytes_Anti-Malware_d5756.html

Download hijack this & post up its log file after you run it, that way its easier to to tell exactly whats running
http://sourceforge.net/projects/hjt/

Also go into control panel, ad/remove programs (programs & feature) & see if there are programs installed you dont recognize
Have a look in task scheduler as well for suspicious items

The Error Guy
05-11-2012, 04:38 PM
Ok, so TUC is reporting the same as telecom because that's where it gets the data from, telecom measures the data at their end but this can be faulty/wrong. To double check what telecom are saying install Networx (http://www.softperfect.com/products/networx/) which will report how much is leaving from your computer. As you said there is only one PC and wireless is disabled so it's easy to measure on the one.

If there are some major differences between the two readings telecom is at fault, if not then then something may be amis on your machine. Before you go digging around clutching straws at what "may" be causing the problem i'd first identify if the problem is on your machine or with telecom.

wainuitech
05-11-2012, 04:55 PM
Ok, so TUC is reporting the same as telecom because that's where it gets the data from, telecom measures the data at their end but this can be faulty/wrong. To double check what telecom are saying install Networx (http://www.softperfect.com/products/networx/) which will report how much is leaving from your computer. As you said there is only one PC and wireless is disabled so it's easy to measure on the one.

If there are some major differences between the two readings telecom is at fault, if not then then something may be amis on your machine. Before you go digging around clutching straws at what "may" be causing the problem i'd first identify if the problem is on your machine or with telecom. Suggested that program twice now in this thread ;) It logs all traffic in and out.

Off Subject, But similar, its a bit like one ISP I was talking to about a connection problem, they claimed they were detecting and able to contact the modem - which may have been a bit awkward considering it wasn't even plugged in at the time.:rolleyes:

The Error Guy
05-11-2012, 05:20 PM
Yeah, I saw that but I think the message was getting lost with all going on.

Awkward for the ISP helpdesk! Like the time some guy had a look at our morris 1000, said something about the thermostat being sticky (eg, stuck shut and not opening) and we were looking in the wrong place for our problem... once he left we were crrrracking up, thermostat was on the bench and had been for the last year.