PDA

View Full Version : User account repair, Windows 7

Tbird650
03-11-2012, 12:19 AM
Question: what is the right way to repair a corrupt user account in Windows 7?
A few weeks ago, I had my user account fail to log me in, instead logging me on to a temporary profile. After google searching and taking a crash course in user accounts and various suggested fixes, I created a new user account and transfered all my internet favourites to the new account. It was a bit tedious, so I wonder what the right way to repair the account would be. Is it a case of having a specific user account file/s backup or would system restore have been a better bet?
Thanks.

Geek4414
03-11-2012, 12:30 AM
Just lived through the same problem myself. In fact I have post a thread here a few days ago.

In my particular case, running a chdsk momentarily fixed the user account issue, and I can log back in normally. But the problem keeps coming back and appears to get worse. Even chkdsk does not fix it laterly.

After extensive hardware test, reset to factory image and the discussion with Wainui Tech on here, we discounted hardware issues. We suspect it could be a bad factory image, which is apparently not uncommon with HP systems.

So I have formatted the HDD today and reloaded Windows7 from an install DVD instead of the disk image on the recovery partition. Fingers crossed, all good so far, but might have to wait a few weeks before we can celebrate.

Tbird650
03-11-2012, 12:50 AM
Geek4414
I found your thread. Most interesting.
My PC is a desktop and it's had w7 on it since w7 was released. This is the 1st instance of it. It's been at least 3 weeks since I created the new user account.

Geek4414
03-11-2012, 01:16 AM
Geek4414
I found your thread. Most interesting. My PC is a desktop and it's had w7 on it since w7 was released. This is the 1st instance of it. It's been at least 3 weeks since I created the new user account.

Yes, it is very weird. I have been using Windows7 since it was first released and this is the first time I came across this problem also! This is a HP desktop PC, about 3 months old. It was working perfectly fine, then the problem occurred and it has been getting worse since.

Like Wainuitech said, HP systems are known to have weird problems associated with their factory images, reloading manually often makes the weird problems go away.

pctek
03-11-2012, 07:36 AM
I created a new user account and transfered ......to the new account.
Thanks.

That is the process.

Tbird650
03-11-2012, 08:56 AM
pctek thanks.

Can the whole user/accountname folder be pasted to the new user account or will that just end up with the same issue?
There is some 11.7G, 37,115 Files, 3,866 Folders in my old user account folder. There must be lots of settings, preferences and the like.

In the case of using system restore to take the PC back to an earlier point to attempt a fix, does the restore need to be done from an existing "other" account, or can a new account be made and the PC restored back to a point where that new account didn't actually exist? I hope that's clear. It's difficult to explain. Basically, I'm asking can I create a new account today at say 9am and the promptly restore the PC to say 24hrs earlier?

pcuser42
03-11-2012, 10:18 AM
Can the whole user/accountname folder be pasted to the new user account or will that just end up with the same issue?

I'd play it safe and only copy over the data folders, i.e. Documents, Videos, Pictures, etc.