PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Router not connecting to net.

MisfitSkittles
02-11-2012, 02:31 PM
Hi

I am a big fan of Pc World NZ. I have a magazine 4 years old now!

Now my issue is I bought a router - TP-Link TL-WR743ND, the very model reviewed by a Pc World staff!

Now this staff (sorry I lost the book the review is in.) said it is easy to set up... But i am clueless. Since we have been using a very bugged Thomson TG585v8 ADSL2+ router it wasnt an issue to set up. But the TP-Link TL-WR743ND isnt adls2 so i dont know how to set it up...

The reason why i want this is because the thomson has known issues with WPA encryption and also its max speed is 65mbps.

The TP link is 150mbps..

THE PROBLEM:

So i go into the options, (no help from manual) and im clueless about how to set up this non telecom modem.

Apparently it uses PPOE but Telecom uses PPOA only... Is that the reason? Is there a way around it? and how did PC world manage to set it up!

Cheers

Alex

inphinity
02-11-2012, 02:44 PM
The TL-WR743ND is a wifi access point only, so you will need to continue using your Thomson router (or some other device) as your ADSL2 modem. So you would need to connect the Thomson router's LAN port to the WAN port on the TPLink.

MisfitSkittles
02-11-2012, 02:46 PM
really? aww whats the point of that >.<. thanks for telling me but will it stay at the thomsons default 65mpbs or will the throughput increase to the tp-links 150mpbs? if not then i will get it returned. Thanks

inphinity
02-11-2012, 03:00 PM
The wireless functionality will be whatever the TPLink supports, but the ADSL2 connection will still be handled by the Thomson. I'd suggest disabling wireless on the Thomson to avoid confusion of having both.

MisfitSkittles
02-11-2012, 03:10 PM
ok ill give it a try, just not keen on the thought of 2 routers in a cramped space where we have a phone an a Neilson server box that we cant touch cuz its the only stupid place we have a phonejack for adsl...

otherwise ill have to fork out more cash for an adsl2 modem.. but would that work straight out the box or will i need to see if that is ppoa too?

inphinity
02-11-2012, 03:11 PM
Any ADSL2 modem should support PPPoA.

Chilling_Silence
02-11-2012, 03:14 PM
Look up the Draytek DV120. They're good, cheap and reliable and will work well with it :)

MisfitSkittles
02-11-2012, 03:15 PM
will do, thanks for all your answers!