PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia GTX 660 OC or Ti?

darthcarnate
01-11-2012, 02:43 PM
I built a new system a couple of months back, buying stuff for a flat at the same time so waitedbefore adding a new graphics card.

I've been advised the 660 GTX is the current sweet spot. Currently using a Gigabyte 260GTX which I bought second-hand. Been a good card but starting to play up now (or at least I think it's the card): occasionally my PC freezes on BIOS or Windows start-up, or TF2 freezes and CTDs, and last night launching Just Cause 2 caused lots of distortions all over the screen. Game still ran smoothly, but quit straightaway, and as the distortions persisted into Windows, restarted my PC.

Note this is a new (like 1-2 month old build), with new CPU, RAM and motherboard, carried HDD (with a clean install of Windows 7) and 260GTX over from the old one. I run a very pretty Dell 1080p screen, and want to play AC3 and FC3 when they come out, hence the upgrade. Firstly, do the errors sound consistent with a graphics card issue? Note: it's never BSODs, and never crashes on Windows desktop or in games other than those mentioned.

And secondly, the 660 OC is much more reasonable sounding at about $360-80 than the Ti at $460+. Is there a massive difference? Or should I be going for a difficult card altogether?

SolMiester
01-11-2012, 02:56 PM
Freezing is genearlly a memory issue, timings, fault, incompatibility..You havent mentioned your PSU?, is that new?.....
As for GPUs, I prefer nVidia GPUs as they have more features, BUT, you do pay more for equivalent performance of AMD GPUs.....If budget is your concern @ 1080, then really the 7870 Radeon is the better buy @ $380
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/548?vs=660
The nV 660 has a crippled memory bus so overclocking doesn't have as good a result has with the 7870.....

dugimodo
01-11-2012, 03:13 PM
+1 for the 7870, although I'm primarirly a Nvidia fan the AMD cards are currently much better value for money and I've had great cards from both sides enough to believe there's nothing wrong with either brand.

My normal recommendation is to check the latest version of this chart (or Ideally read the whole article) and pick the highest card up the chart you can afford with preference for the newer model numbers. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html