PDA

View Full Version : The device failed to start - Intel wireless

8ftmetalhaed
31-10-2012, 10:07 AM
Got another toshy laptop here. It's xp, owners said the wifi suddenly stopped working one day. I've tried sorting it prior, installing older and newer drivers, and the original ones from toshy's site. None sorted it. Trying to boot into linux gave a nice no go, since it apparently hates booting from USB, and when using a live CD of 12.04 ubuntu, it gave a kernel panic and wouldn't advance past 'try linux'.
-_-

So, I asked if they had a recovery CD which turns out they did, so this is attempt #2. Before I give up and try taking an image/backup of this thing and wipe it fresh, any other suggestions?

Also, can I use paragon drive copy on the machine I'm trying to image, or do I have to have the disc in another machine and inactive before I can do it?

Speedy Gonzales
31-10-2012, 10:20 AM
Is that all it says failed to start nothing else? What does its entry say in device manager?

8ftmetalhaed
31-10-2012, 11:58 AM
Pretty much yes, it gives error code 10, but googling last time didn't reveal much other than to try different drivers.

edit - There's also a com8 port which has a problem, apparently windows doesn't recognise the default settings for the device. Reckon this could be related in any way?
I'm kind of stumped, given that it apparently just stopped working one day.

Further, it's got some odd finger print reader installed on it that seems to have dicked with the administrator account's permissions. When I tried disabling services in msconfig and doing a system restore, msconfig said I needed admin permissions and system restore just failed repeatedly. I don't know the login/have the fingers of the owners, so I can't use their accounts (it was sheer luck the admin account was there at all with a blank password, lol).

Speedy Gonzales
31-10-2012, 12:30 PM
Well, I wouldnt restore or format the thing, that may fix it

8ftmetalhaed
31-10-2012, 12:42 PM
You wouldn't or would? I'll be getting an image somehow before I do anything formatty (if you remember last time I tried), but it does look like the easiest solution, given how slow the thing runs besides.
Then again it's running norton and a crap tonne of other stuff.

Speedy Gonzales
31-10-2012, 12:45 PM
would a typo :p I wouldnt use a image if its the same one you used before. It maybe stuffed or something

KarameaDave
31-10-2012, 12:47 PM
Tried another Linux liveCD?
Just to eliminate a hardware issue.
Code 10 is a catchall error code used when the OS is unable to recognise the error message from the device.
Which implies there is a device there.
But you never know, maybe the Wifi card has up and quit.

8ftmetalhaed
31-10-2012, 01:40 PM
ahh I just mean I don't want to wipe everything only to find there's something I can't restore, like their norton install or something. I'll get paid if I fix it, I doubt I'll get anything for making it worse :P

Cheers for the input though karamea. How likely is it that the card has simply bust, then? It installs it and recognises it alright but as I say regardless of driver it complains that it can't start. I'll try another distro anyway I guess, just means I've gotta use more cd's. :S

Speedy Gonzales
31-10-2012, 01:55 PM
I could have a look with teamviewer if you want.. See if we can find out what the prob is. If you want to disable services dont disable it in msconfig, do it in services

8ftmetalhaed
31-10-2012, 02:19 PM
I'll see how I go with it first. since it has a working recovery disc and I have a spare HDD, I've just swapped em over and set it installing to see if it works. Forgot to power it down before pulling the HDD I think, but it was at least in hibernate. -_-

Might call you later though if this all goes to custard. Thanks for the offer :)

zqwerty
31-10-2012, 02:27 PM
Toshiba's have a manual switch for wifi normally on the left hand side, make sure it is on.

8ftmetalhaed
31-10-2012, 02:45 PM
Well it just got done recovering, and voila, it's still complaining about the wireless card. Currently some auto script is making it bootloop too, but I got in long enough to see the nice yellow ! next to it in device manager. -_-

So I can only assume the prior suggestion of 'it's buggered' is likely correct, if even a factory fresh install doesn't like it.

KarameaDave
31-10-2012, 02:54 PM
Only reason I mentioned hardware was I had a similar issue with an HP machine recently.
Device manager said the Wifi was working properly but it couldn't find any Wifi networks, with any OS
although they all said the adapter (Intel 3495 ABG) was OK.

So I swapped to a Broadcom I had, Issue solved. Saved me reinstalling Vista on it.

8ftmetalhaed
31-10-2012, 02:55 PM
yeah given 'it suddenly stopped working' and new drivers, even a factory reinstall doesn't fix it, I would just say it's buggered and give up on it. -_-

I'll go hand it back, I think, heh.