PDA

View Full Version : Windows cannot check for updates

lakewoodlady
31-10-2012, 09:41 AM
As above. Vista Home Premium, I keep getting this windows error.

Speedy Gonzales
31-10-2012, 09:43 AM
What happens if you click on check for updates?? Does it go back to the same thing?

Jen
31-10-2012, 09:43 AM
What happens if you click the "check for updates" button?

...oh, beaten by a nano-second.

wainuitech
31-10-2012, 10:06 AM
Have a read of the following thread http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?127283-MS-updates-not-working-on-Vista Do method number 8 in the link from feersumendjinn ( post #2), that works 99% of the time.

Speedy Gonzales
31-10-2012, 10:29 AM
There is also a handy tool to see if anything has deleted any of the services (like malware / rootkits). Its called farbar service scanner. (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/farbar-service-scanner/) You run this as admin, then select all the options, except the last 1. Then scan.

This will tell you, if any of the services are missing (windefend. WU, BITS etc). I came across this while checking / posting in the MS answers forum. Where a LOT of people were posting about Windowsupdates probs (there's at least 10-12 people on this forum, who were getting FFFFFFFFE or FFFFFFFF errors while trying to update). If you see these errors while trying to update, (so I found out), you've got a rootkit.

If any of the entries in the log say one of the services are missing, you need to

1. Either export them from a working system.

Or 2: Find the reg files that are posted on some sites (for the right version of windows), then import them back into the registry, to restore the services

pctek
31-10-2012, 10:55 AM
Or just check Updates is enabled firstly. If it's off then it can't.

lakewoodlady
31-10-2012, 03:50 PM
Or just check Updates is enabled firstly. If it's off then it can't.

Yes Updates is on. When I click on "Update" it tries to check, then just reverts to the window as shown in the screenshot.

I will have a look at the link that wainuitech posted. The problem is on a computer at Seniornet and I am at home at the moment, but I might go in there tomorrow and see what I can do. Thanks for replies all!

LL

Speedy Gonzales
31-10-2012, 03:55 PM
I would check the txt file in the C:\windows\softwaredistribution folder. Look near the end of it. Does it show any errors?

zqwerty
31-10-2012, 07:26 PM
Is the Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) service running?

Speedy Gonzales
31-10-2012, 07:41 PM
I would run that farbar service scanner, and see if any services / or reg entries are missing

lakewoodlady
31-10-2012, 08:14 PM
Is the Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) service running?

Will check it when I go in there tomorrow, thanks.

L

Bryan
01-11-2012, 07:25 AM
Just a thought, has the PC been activated? If not then MS would not update!