PDA

View Full Version : This may come in handy for people who have old computers around

Speedy Gonzales
30-10-2012, 07:37 PM
If it doesnt support booting from USB. I came across this (Plop Boot Manager) (http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager/index.html) today,after trying to figure out how to boot from an old socket A, someone just gave me. So I could update the BIOS. One of the files in the zipped file (once you extract the zip file), will write to the bootblock of the hdd. So, you can select it (like when you dual boot 2 OS's).

As long as the USB flash drive is bootable / has system files on it to boot. It will boot (even if the BIOS doesn't support booting from USB).

The only catch is, I think (because I found this out earlier today), is you have to use a PS2 keyboard not a USB keyboard. Because even tho your USB flash drive will boot, you can't type on the keyboard, if its USB

So, I'll have to get a PS2 keyboard to see if it'll work. Since the BIOS update supports booting from USB. Whatever it is on it now, doesn't

pcuser42
30-10-2012, 07:49 PM
I think EasyBCD has an option to do this as well from the Windows bootloader (note that you don't actually have to be running Vista or later to use its bootloader).

Speedy Gonzales
30-10-2012, 07:52 PM
I had to put XP on this thing, its only got 310mb or something on it lol Anything else would probably kill it. XP doesn't even know what the CPU is, it says unknown. I don't know what it is either. The BIOS update, if i get a PS2 kb (and if it works), will probably fix that

Driftwood
30-10-2012, 08:11 PM
That could be handy.
Most of my system are old.
A couple have been fitted with later model engines.

Agent_24
31-10-2012, 10:53 PM
Yep I've used that one a couple of times, it's quite useful. I usually run it from CD or Floppy rather than installing to HDD though.

KarameaDave
01-11-2012, 08:49 AM
Yep I've used that one a couple of times, it's quite useful. I usually run it from CD or Floppy rather than installing to HDD though. +1