PDA

View Full Version : Techsoup.net.nz

Paul.Cov
30-10-2012, 05:52 PM
Hi All,

I administer an NZ registered Charitable Trust, and have just received an email from Techsoup which indicates our group could be elligible for ridiculously cheap software (OS and Office).

It seems too good to be true.
The only info online seems to be their own info, so the site, and its related 'partners' haven't had much online discussion, so I haven't been able to determine if they're bogus or brilliant!

Have any others among you had any exposure to this group before?

TIA.

Paul.Cov
30-10-2012, 05:57 PM
Never mind. I found reference to them at the Charities.org.nz (govt) website, so it looks like they're the real deal.
While software is a tiny factor (up to now done mostly at my own expense) I'm giddy with anticipation of any chance for an affordable upgrade.

nmercer
30-10-2012, 06:05 PM
Tech Soup is definitely legit (I work for MSFT)

Renegade
30-10-2012, 06:42 PM
Go for it. Just make sure you order what you need in one go as you can't place another order until the following (calendar?) year.

Paul.Cov
30-10-2012, 06:42 PM
I'm stunned at the lack of buzz about this online, coz it looks blardy brilliant!

If this pans out I no longer have to live in the same fear of a dead HDD or an outdated OS/Office suit causing us extended troubles, and eliminate the trap every few years of the latest file twist (eg docx vs doc) that befuddles the person dealing with the emails and attachments.

Sweet! :clap

wainuitech
30-10-2012, 06:52 PM
Microsoft are right into Charities, so as long as the organization is a registered charity then you can get software dirt cheap.

Just need to go through a place ( I use ingram Micro) Call them first, get a quote, then its fill out the paperwork and its all done.

I've got a few places that qualify, and they get Microsoft software dirt cheap when ever they need it or upgrade to newer products.

Lovelee
30-10-2012, 08:17 PM
Can u gove me a link to where it is on the charities site .. I too administer a charity .. and what do u mean by ridiculously cheap?

Renegade
30-10-2012, 08:48 PM
Register through here:http://www.techsoup.net.nz/user/register

Something like $40 for Office 2010 Professional Plus :thumbs:

Lovelee
30-10-2012, 08:51 PM
thanks

Chilling_Silence
30-10-2012, 08:59 PM
Choice, good on Microsoft too! :-)

The Error Guy
30-10-2012, 09:11 PM
I have heard of the M$ charities and attended an event at Te Papa where we were all given a 4GB flash drive with office + a whole bunch of useful education based apps and tips for office (such as how to write chemistry equations easily, jolly useful) Office was only a 60 day trial but we were given a key to get it for $40 or some similarly low price.

M$ are very good at community support. Gotta give them that.

CYaBro
30-10-2012, 09:49 PM
Yup we've got a few charities that we look after and we always recommend they buy their software from TechSoup.

Iantech
30-10-2012, 10:00 PM
I have had involvement with Techsoup for years. They also sell a lot of referb laptops and such so be aware if you are buying from them and dont like referb hardwre - make sure what you are getting isnt referb and you are getting new if you want new. They are good for MS software, have got some from time to time for my non-profit clietnts. They also supplied replacement software and referb laptops to my clients when they lost theirs in the quakes for FREE which was pretty impressive I thought.

gaylesam
31-10-2012, 10:02 AM
Hi all,

Delighted to see this thread show up in my in-box today. As the Chief Business Development Officer at TechSoup Global (we're headquartered in San Francisco) and we are delighted to partner with Community Information Strategies Australia or CISA, a local New Zealand group running TechSoup New Zealand (http://www.techsoup.net.nz/) and DonorTec in Australia (at http://www.connectingup.org/donortec/).

If you want to learn more about our work around the world, I'd suggest you drop by TechSoup Global at www.techsoupglobal.org. We have the honor and privilege of working with great organizations and major technology companies around the world to make it easier to charities and NGO's to get access to technology resources that make it easier to fulfill their missions where ever they may be. Do know that the vast majority of items available through TechSoup are fully donated and the admin fee you pay if you qualify for donations, is a fee that allows TechSoup to continue its work for all organizations around the world.

Wishing you all the best in your own organizations and hope you take great joy in the change you create in the world in New Zealand and around the world!

Gayle Carpentier
TechSoup Global
Chief Business Development Officer
gcarpentier@techsoupglobal.org

Brucem
31-10-2012, 04:12 PM
I was about to start anew thread querying the legitimacy of TechSoup, but did a search instead. The above comments lay my doubts to rest, thanks guys.

Yorick
31-10-2012, 10:59 PM
Heh, it's called "Lock-in", a marketing ploy. MS are not a charitable organisation and never have been I find it hard to believe people are so gullible, to MS this "subsidy" is not even a loss leader.

What happens down the line when the "subsidy" disappears as happened to many charities in Oz. The organisation by then is so locked into the MS drug that they feel they HAVE to continue buy MS product

A few years back MS did a deal with the Thai government. A local company had come up with a killer deal to supply hardware on which would be installed SuSE Linux Enterprise and of course with all the attendant productivity software that comes with Linux and with the SuSE Enterprise edition as well as corporate level support. To stop this happening, MS came up with a deal: XP OS plus MS Office 2003 for $US35.80. (http://news.cnet.com/Microsoft-cuts-prices-in-Thailand/2100-1012_3-1019067.html) That's both. Now that's cool, no problem thus far.

However there is a law in the US that makes it illegal to "dump" product outside the US, so the SEC became suddenly very interested. The critical part is that MS proved to the SEC that selling Windows XP and Office 2003 at a combined price of $35.80 was making a profit.

For Charities and not for profits, here are the sums

A Linux install (It should be noted that Mark Shuttleworth created Ubuntu to take computing to the poorest places in Africa, for free, forever. That's charity) will cost nothing. Zero. If your NFP or charity wants a whole raft of software that will never have license issues drop me a PM, I'll gladly send you a DVD with OS, Office software, Mailclients, Graphics software, DTP, sound Editing, Sever software better than SBS, and I'll be even more generous than MS, I'll pay the postage. That is I'm actually giving you something, not just taking a little less than I would otherwise.

But the kicker is long term: Upgrades to the next big thing: Free! Forever!
Updates Free Forever
Antivirus and upgrades: Free Forever

The big kicker is value: If you define value in dollars sense then the money you spend on the MS software is a writeoff immediately, 100% depreciation the moment the check is cashed. With the Linux stuff however you have value because, if you wish, you can copy it and sell it. Try doing that with the MS software, you can't, the license specifically forbids it, so where is your value compared to the FOSS alternative.

I had a guy at a local NFP who told me once that he had been given $28,000 worth of software really cheap. I said tell you what, get MS to give you a tenth of the $28000 in cash dollars if it's so valuable, to spend on good hardware say, and I'll supply you with all the software you'll need for nothing.
"Oh they won't do that," he said,
yes I said, but I can supply software to do the same job for nothing, so the VALUE of the software you installed is zero, because you can replace it for nothing but it's cash value to you is nothing because you can't sell it. So you have paid a great deal of money for nothing other than a little sticker telling you how generous MS is and to make it worse you have no idea how much the next upgrade is going to cost you or how long you'll be stuck with this software years past it's expiry date because the upgrade path is too expensive.

Logic

Iantech
01-11-2012, 01:36 AM
Just a couple of comments I wish to make. First of all, Gayle, wow, welcome to this little corner of the world, nice of you to drop in for a visit, I think organisations such as Techsoup really do make the difference when non-profit organisations these days are finding it harder and harder to obtain funding, and to be able to purchase affordable software is a huge help to them. All I can say is well done and keep it up, and on behalf of the non-profit organisations I maintain, a huge thank you.

Secondly, Yorick, while I appreciate your point of view and how much you like pushing the Linux barrow, I think your post is a load of old coblers!!

Cheers

Paul.Cov
01-11-2012, 07:22 AM
I'd use Open Office if I could, but typically it is the end users who I help who pick and choose their software, and the first I know of their choice is suddenly when they phone and tell me their new version of Office won't work with the old version of the Access database I've made for them, and what should they do with the "Convert Database" dialog in front of them?

Or when they ask for a change to the database, and I find the copy they send back to me has been 'converted' to a newer version of Access which I can't work on.

If it was up to me I'd still be using Office 97, but I'm constantly forced to upgrade my own Office suite in order to continue to help these people. Why they upgrade, at great expense is typically illogical, simply being that an upgrade was available, so they got it.

The other manipulative trick of MS, making each new version produce docs that are not native to old versions (eg Docx vs doc, xlsx vs xls) also encourages the ignorant to update like sheep when they find they're getting docs they can't open (then they in turn add to the flood of incompatible documents). Sure, they could DL a patch, or use Winzip to decompress, but try telling the unpaid, outdated, non-tech savy, elderly volunteer at the end of the phone how to fix that themselves... it's easier just to surrender to the upgrade trail, plus the volunteers feel happier if they're getting somethnig new, rather than something they feel is outdated.

The other issue is when the installation discs for the existing system goes walkabout. Volunteers come and go, and on occasion discs may go with them, or inocently go into the bin during a tidy up. So then, when a new feature has to be installed, or the system is corrupted and needs a reinstall I can be faced with a potentially very expensive dilemma. If a replacement of Office can be sourced (or a spare copy simply kept on hand) for $40, then the pain is minimal, the disruption is minimal, and I can happily, once again, reach into my own pocket to get them out of the mess.

I'm still waiting for Base to include a macro type facility that allows me to automate many functions with simply the press of a button on a menu for the end user. Until then, it has to remain MSAccess if I'm to help them for free.

wainuitech
01-11-2012, 08:11 AM
Just a couple of comments I wish to make. First of all, Gayle, wow, welcome to this little corner of the world, nice of you to drop in for a visit, I think organisations such as Techsoup really do make the difference when non-profit organisations these days are finding it harder and harder to obtain funding, and to be able to purchase affordable software is a huge help to them. All I can say is well done and keep it up, and on behalf of the non-profit organisations I maintain, a huge thank you.

Secondly, Yorick, while I appreciate your point of view and how much you like pushing the Linux barrow, I think your post is a load of old coblers!!

Cheers

+1 :thumbs:

As for Microsoft being a charitable organisation , no one said they were.

MS how ever they care to do it, do give away millions of dollars that benefit the less fortunate.
Not just software, but Sponsorships and time to mention a few. One article (http://www.theallineed.com/news-usa/06092291.htm) and charitynews (http://www.onlinecardonation.org/charitynews/archives/147)

CYaBro
01-11-2012, 09:42 AM
I agree that Yorick makes a good point HOWEVER what happens when said charity, that is now using all this free software like Linux etc, needs support?
Not many people around that could actually support such a setup and if they do they probably charge a lot more than someone who works on Microsoft software.
Or can they call the software manufacturer for support? Doubt it! Unless they pay some sort of maintenance contract.
At least if they go the MS way there will be no issues with support.

And don't say that with the free software setup they won't need support because everything just works.

Agent_24
01-11-2012, 10:23 AM
And don't say that with the free software setup they won't need support because everything just works.

I thought that was Apple's line...

Zara Baxter
01-11-2012, 10:33 AM
I agree that Yorick makes a good point HOWEVER what happens when said charity, that is now using all this free software like Linux etc, needs support?
Not many people around that could actually support such a setup and if they do they probably charge a lot more than someone who works on Microsoft software.
Or can they call the software manufacturer for support? Doubt it! Unless they pay some sort of maintenance contract.

This a good point. One of my exes worked for several youth charities, and they tended to do support in-house and get second-hand gear because that's all their budgets would stretch to - the idea of paying for support was almost impossible, and microsoft made sense for them only because there's a lot of eacy to locate help online that they could manage themselves. Often, it came down to whomever was tech-minded, and what they were willing to work with - get a linux guy among your crew, and everyone would use linux forever more.

Yorick
01-11-2012, 10:57 AM

Cheers
Firstly it's not a barrow it is a perfectly viable alternative.

Second all of what I posted is fact

Third coblers is not what I would call a rebuttal so if that is your best effort I'm quaking I'm my boots .... figuratively speaking.

Nick G
01-11-2012, 11:28 AM
I was at a JOTI camp a couple of weeks ago (Jamboree on the internet), where 40 computers running of a server were all set up. Previously, windows has been used, and issues have been had with people download stuff they *shouldn't* ;) , installing programs, changing settings, and just generally f***ing the computers up. This time, all computers were set up with ubuntu (a pre unity version, 10.something I think). Nobody had any trouble using it (and we had a lot of people come through, some of which didn't even know what linux was). It was easy to configure so they couldn't be abused, and only 3 failed on the whole thing,a much lower rate than other year. Also, 2 out of the three were quick fixes, only took a couple of minutes to get going again.

Conclusion - as long as a couple of people who know what they are doing are there, linux is a very viable alternative to windows. Maybe not for everyone, but sure worked better in this instance.
My :2cents:

wainuitech
01-11-2012, 11:28 AM
I'll gladly send you a DVD with OS, Office software, Mailclients, Graphics software, DTP, sound Editing, Sever software better than SBS, and I'll be even more generous than MS, I'll pay the postage. That is I'm actually giving you something, not just taking a little less than I would otherwise.

Isn't that a little contradictory, the words in bold. ? You mention the Office and linux is free ( which it is) , yet according to your own words, you would normally charge a person for it .

Whats been mentioned a few posts back totally agree, the support for linux or open office is no where as easy. Just earlier this week I had a place call me asking if I could sort out their 2 failed linux servers, both the OS's had totally turned turtle, and nothing was working. I was honest and said while I could get their network back up quickly, it would only be a temp measure as I dont have enough knowledge to repair the linux servers.

The guy said to me they had been trying for several hours to find anyone who could fix them, seems anyone who does have the knowledge charges like a wounded bull. They run solely from donations and charity and cant really afford the costs, and the other guy who did setup the servers turned all sour and refused to do any more work.

So while Linux may be free, support is not usually.

This is where, getting back to the original start of this thread.
Places like Techsoup offer cheaper software to places that qualify, the subject WAS NOT is there a alternative to MS products.

When someone has a open office question Yorick has a lot of knowledge, but the fact its pushed down everyones throat when ever a MS Office product is mention does nothing but discredit that knowledge.

Agent_24
01-11-2012, 11:35 AM
Isn't that a little contradictory, the words in bold. ? You mention the Office and linux is free ( which it is) , yet according to your own words, you would normally charge a person for it .

I think the words in bold referred to Microsoft's charity discount deal.

wainuitech
01-11-2012, 11:42 AM
I think the words in bold referred to Microsoft's charity discount deal. Depends on how its read. If something is written and can be taken different ways then its open to question.

If all this stuff is given away freely, then its not the main source of income, so there has to be charges someplace other wise how would a person get paid ?

Agent_24
01-11-2012, 11:54 AM
Well that's how I interpreted it anyway, as for getting paid I wouldn't have a clue but Yorick will probably enlighten us

mikebartnz
01-11-2012, 11:57 AM
When someone has a open office question Yorick has a lot of knowledge, but the fact its pushed down everyones throat when ever a MS Office product is mention does nothing but discredit that knowledge.
and you always have to have a go at him.:(
I must admit I think he was a little over zealous on this occasion.

wainuitech
01-11-2012, 12:53 PM
and you always have to have a go at him.:(
I must admit I think he was a little over zealous on this occasion. I only "have a go" so to speak for 1 reason ( and its the only reason) if anyone asks about a Microsoft office product, the subject gets changed and Open office is ALWAYS pushed down our throats as better, cheaper etc.

Its not often that someone asks for alternatives. In cases like that, then sure open office, no worries at all.

While its been mentioned before the alternatives are being offered, that not what was asked originally.

I've had a few PM's relating to Open office, and I've always replied to contact yorick. If the person does thats up to them.

Take another look at it, if someone went in to get a puncture fixed on their car and the garage starts going on, you need new wipers, the oil needs changing, it could also do with a new paint job (I think you get the drift) you'd tell them what to do with their suggestions.

The original topic was asking about techsoup and cheap pricing --- NOT whats a alternative to MS products.

mikebartnz
01-11-2012, 01:12 PM
I only "have a go" so to speak for 1 reason ( and its the only reason) if anyone asks about a Microsoft office product, the subject gets changed and Open office is ALWAYS pushed down our throats as better, cheaper etc.

Its not often that someone asks for alternatives. In cases like that, then sure open office, no worries at all.

While its been mentioned before the alternatives are being offered, that not what was asked originally.

I've had a few PM's relating to Open office, and I've always replied to contact yorick. If the person does thats up to them.

Take another look at it, if someone went in to get a puncture fixed on their car and the garage starts going on, you need new wipers, the oil needs changing, it could also do with a new paint job (I think you get the drift) you'd tell them what to do with their suggestions.

The original topic was asking about techsoup and cheap pricing --- NOT whats a alternative to MS products.
Sorry that is not true for the first post I saw you attacking him. While Office got mentioned in the thread it wasn't the thread starters main consideration but you still got your knickers in a real twist. I will try to find that post so you can reread it. It is no longer in my subscribed threads.
I found it here (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?126590-Mircrosoft-Office-versions&p=1117380#post1117380)

wainuitech
01-11-2012, 01:59 PM
If you are referring to the fact I said some documents created in 2007 wont display correctly in open Off, at the time that was 100% correct, they still wont, but do in libre Office and kingsoft Office.

Other than that I've no idea what you are talking about.

I could, if I could be bothered bring up every post relating to MS office or a problem and any posts that were answered by yorick pushed Open Office each and every time.

Open office wasn't mentioned at all in this thread till it was brought up in post 16 ( by you know who) and to quote yourself :
I must admit I think he was a little over zealous on this occasion

mikebartnz
01-11-2012, 04:38 PM
If you are referring to the fact I said some documents created in 2007 wont display correctly in open Off, at the time that was 100% correct, they still wont, but do in libre Office and kingsoft Office.

Other than that I've no idea what you are talking about.

I could, if I could be bothered bring up every post relating to MS office or a problem and any posts that were answered by yorick pushed Open Office each and every time.

Open office wasn't mentioned at all in this thread till it was brought up in post 16 ( by you know who) and to quote yourself :
No it wasn't that at all. That wasn't the first post I was meaning but I can't be bothered finding it.
Yorick's post #19 was perfectly innocuous consider #1 but you started to jump down his throat from then on. Do you not think you are just as bad as him the way you always have to attack him because considering the number of post he has made I can't help but think you are over exaggerating the whole thing.

wainuitech
01-11-2012, 05:00 PM
No not really - that post linked, I went back and re-read the complete thing.

In that thread, there was the Op wanted either MS office or an alternative, there were some stipulations though. Preferred the ribbon, and wanted web apps built in - over the thread, several programs were suggested, questions asked and answered in a polite manner, and MS office was the only one that could do everything asked, any other office product couldn't.

Looking back at the beginning of this thread -- There is nowhere mentioned about other office programs till #16.

All that was asked originally was about Techsoup and their pricing and if it were legit, it was then explained why so cheap, then it went off on a tangent about open office from #16 onwards.

Mark my words -- Someone in the future will ask about MS office /Pricing or when somethings available, or how do do a certain thing, and I wouldn't at all be surprised if open office again gets pushed when it wasn't even mentioned before hand.

Dont get me wrong, Open Office and its variants has its place, but if an alternative to MS Office is not asked for why push it in the first place.

As for the number of posts ?? Well I been here longer and try to answer if I can help if no one else has so far, no one knows everything. I dont just post on one particular product/subject. ;)

If theres a Open Office question, as I mentioned before Yoricks the man, with a great deal of knowledge.

As a side subject, I had a guy call me today, wanted to know when the full Office 2013 was available - couldn't say for certain - I did ask why Office 2013, and he said because hes got the trial and it integrates with all the Cloud computing documents his work has, no other office program will do that, as he had looked.

Agent_24
01-11-2012, 05:55 PM
Dont get me wrong, Open Office and its variants has its place, but if an alternative to MS Office is not asked for why push it in the first place.

Though some people might appreciate being told that there is a free alternative to MS Office, and may decide to use it. I gave up on MS Office a while ago, and so far have yet to find issue with LibreOffice I now use primarily.

Of course it's not for everyone but I like it.

Yorick
01-11-2012, 06:09 PM

I'd be the last person to say that ANY software doesn't need support, all software needs support. It's true that MS has better casual support in a community. It's an advantage that being a virtual monopoly gives you. At school people use MS almost exclusively although that is changing. So called "computing" courses at Polytechs and PTEs are almost exclusively MS based. MS spends a huge amount of effort and money to make sure that keeps happening. However to say there is no support is incorrect. There is plenty of corporate level support: Redhat, Novell, IBM and of course Canonical all offer Linux support for a price. Locally companies such as Enterprise IT, Open System Specialists, Catalyst IT, Datacom all offer enterprise support for Linux.

For local small NFPs strapped for cash however, your local LUG (Linux Users Group) is a great place to get community support. Support is not an issue, knowing where to look is the issue.

Yorick
01-11-2012, 06:37 PM

Yea well I agree I could have worded that better, I was trying to get to bed. :) I was in fact referring to MS so called charity

Whats been mentioned a few posts back totally agree, the support for linux or open office is no where as easy. Just earlier this week I had a place call me asking if I could sort out their 2 failed linux servers, both the OS's had totally turned turtle, and nothing was working. I was honest and said while I could get their network back up quickly, it would only be a temp measure as I dont have enough knowledge to repair the linux servers.

The guy said to me they had been trying for several hours to find anyone who could fix them, seems anyone who does have the knowledge charges like a wounded bull. They run solely from donations and charity and cant really afford the costs, and the other guy who did setup the servers turned all sour and refused to do any more work.

So while Linux may be free, support is not usually.

What breed of linux and where, I may be able to point you in a direction.

Same can be said for MS support. Gen-I supports Linux and they charge the same as their windows support IIRC. Some do charge more I know but that is a factor of the support needed is considerably less. I just had a business acquaintance, not a Linux customer, who was quoted 20k for upgrade of their Small business server plus several hundred a month maintenance charges, this from a MS partner. I think it's a fact of the industry and I daresay you've had similar experiences with MS partners.

This is where, getting back to the original start of this thread.
Places like Techsoup offer cheaper software to places that qualify, the subject WAS NOT is there a alternative to MS products.
All I was commenting on was that it is not as charitable as it is made out to be. There are a number of downsides that people should be aware of, and if MS truly wanted to be charitable they would supply the software gratis and with guaranteed upgrades for the same price.(I will admit that they may stuck between a rock and hard place with the SEC if they did this.) The point of my post was that they can afford to and even at cost it would be much less than what they're offering.

CYaBro
01-11-2012, 07:22 PM
For local small NFPs strapped for cash however, your local LUG (Linux Users Group) is a great place to get community support. Support is not an issue, knowing where to look is the issue.

In the bigger main centres perhaps but trust me I've looked for decent Linux support around here and unless you have the money to pay for the support forget it.

wainuitech
01-11-2012, 08:24 PM
Yea well I agree I could have worded that better, I was trying to get to bed. :) I was in fact referring to MS so called charity

Same can be said for MS support. Gen-I supports Linux and they charge the same as their windows support IIRC. Some do charge more I know but that is a factor of the support needed is considerably less. I just had a business acquaintance, not a Linux customer, who was quoted 20k for upgrade of their Small business server plus several hundred a month maintenance charges, this from a MS partner. I think it's a fact of the industry and I daresay you've had similar experiences with MS partners.

Sleep . :dogeye: narrr who needs sleep harden up man LOL only being silly, that's a fair enough call :)

The pricing mentioned to upgrade a server - wholly crap-- obviously don't know all the details, BUT its either a LOT of work required over several days and a complete new network install with major hardware changing/upgrades , but either way sounds like the place is over charging (and that's the polite version ) :D

Charging several hundred a month sounds like a rip as well, if the hardware is quality, and things are setup properly ( what ever flavour it is) then "service calls" shouldn't really be needed every month.

Yorick
01-11-2012, 08:50 PM
Sleep . :dogeye: narrr who needs sleep harden up man LOL only being silly, that's a fair enough call :)

The pricing mentioned to upgrade a server - wholly crap-- obviously don't know all the details, BUT its either a LOT of work required over several days and a complete new network install with major hardware changing/upgrades , but either way sounds like the place is over charging (and that's the polite version ) :D

Charging several hundred a month sounds like a rip as well, if the hardware is quality, and things are setup properly ( what ever flavour it is) then "service calls" shouldn't really be needed every month.

Exactly what I told her, They're an engineering place so windows is compulsory because of their CAD software and they have SBS 2003 which is perfectly adequate for the use case. All they needed was an additional hard drive and a little megabit switch to make their network run a bit smoother. Local computer shop could do that in a jiffy and sure as hell wouldn't cost 20k. This is a network with three workstations and a server, all IBM kit, I need say no more.

wainuitech
01-11-2012, 09:27 PM
:thumbs: Couldn't agree more.

One place I look after has 7 PC's ranging from XP & W7, 1 HP server ( only 5 of the PC's can connect to the server its how they wanted it - long story) only ever hear from them when theres a problem, and 99% of the time its something silly or the printers need some maintenance work.

The server was given to them since they are a charity organisation by HP seven years ago ( roughly) its never missed a beat, never needs any work doing to it.

They were at a charity / fund raising meeting and HP were there, they got talking and the guy from HP said anything we can do to help ask -- So they asked me what would be useful, a server would be nice - suggested a few, well they called the guy back at HP, and a few weeks later, brand new shiny server turned up complete with server 2003 installed, way more powerful than what they will ever use or need :eek: I Was shocked lol

mikebartnz
01-11-2012, 10:16 PM
there were some stipulations though. Preferred the ribbon, and wanted web apps built in - over the thread, several programs were suggested, questions asked and answered in a polite manner, and MS office was the only one that could do everything asked, any other office product couldn't.
But that stipulation about the ribbon wasn't in #1 and there wasn't anything wrong with what Yorick posted in #19 but you still decided to have a go at him. I used to have one hell of a lot of respect for you until you started getting your knickers in a twist about Yorick.
I can only assume you have been sucking on MS's tit too long.

wainuitech
01-11-2012, 10:40 PM
Give it a rest Mike, if you read the previous posts things are fine both Yorick and myself have commented on posts and there are no problems.

I used to have one hell of a lot of respect for you until you started getting your knickers in a twist about Yorick I don't expect it, so no great lose there, your choice as to how you feel, I will say the feeling is the same back, esp since lately there has been at least one outburst that wasn't called for in another thread. http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?127532-What-email-client-are-you-using&p=1127175#post1127175)

I suggest you Don't go making an idiot of yourself by trying to fight with insults, I wont react to your attempts and lower myself to the ranting.

mikebartnz
01-11-2012, 10:55 PM
Give it a rest Mike, if you read the previous posts things are fine both Yorick and myself have commented on posts and there are no problems.

I don't expect it, so no great lose there, your choice as to how you feel, I will say the feeling is the same back, esp since lately there has been at least one outburst that wasn't called for in another thread. http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?127532-What-email-client-are-you-using&p=1127175#post1127175)

I suggest you Don't go making an idiot of yourself by trying to fight with insults, I wont react to your attempts and lower myself to the ranting.
Nice try but time will tell. I must admit I could have worded that post you linked to better but if that is the best you can do I think you need to try again.
Your last sentence tells me a lot about you.

Paul.Cov
01-11-2012, 10:59 PM
Wow, talk about a thread hijack.

Anyway, continuing the hijack...

By happy coincidence our gear at work was upgraded overnight. New hardware, new software, new version of Open Office (3.0) !!!

OOo is actually coming of age VERY NICELY!
I can't comment on its compatibility with MS documents, but the feature list is climbing to encompass pretty much all that most 'vanilla' users need.

Base has also improved markedly, and I can see the day coming when I will be able to switch to using it almost exclusively of MS Access. It's got some really great features, including a preview pane for all the database objects, which is surprisingly handy (despite logic suggesting it shouldn't be needed).

It worked pretty swiftly too, given it was running off a server and thin clients.

But the version at work (which gets locked down pretty tight) is missing the option to Import Data from other sources (I import from other DB's, CSV's and text often).
Many of the features now appearing in Base are strikingly similar to the Access equivalents, so they might be walking a tight line regarding lawsuits/copyrights etc, with the macro lockdown options almost word for word how MS has done theirs (and the MS implementations of macro security are a pain!).

If they could keep their docs compatible with the latest MS twists within a few months of each MS update then there'd be little reason to stick with MS anymore.

Problem is, MS likes to churn out changes to default file formats to generate the next generation of purchases, so that BS is going to continue for as long as they have dominance, and as long as consumers don't know any better about their alternatives.

:2cents:

mikebartnz
01-11-2012, 11:12 PM
Wow, talk about a thread hijack.

Anyway, continuing the hijack...

By happy coincidence our gear at work was upgraded overnight. New hardware, new software, new version of Open Office (3.0) !!!

OOo is actually coming of age VERY NICELY!
I can't comment on its compatibility with MS documents, but the feature list is climbing to encompass pretty much all that most 'vanilla' users need.

Base has also improved markedly, and I can see the day coming when I will be able to switch to using it almost exclusively of MS Access. It's got some really great features, including a preview pane for all the database objects, which is surprisingly handy (despite logic suggesting it shouldn't be needed).

It worked pretty swiftly too, given it was running off a server and thin clients.

But the version at work (which gets locked down pretty tight) is missing the option to Import Data from other sources (I import from other DB's, CSV's and text often).
Many of the features now appearing in Base are strikingly similar to the Access equivalents, so they might be walking a tight line regarding lawsuits/copyrights etc, with the macro lockdown options almost word for word how MS has done theirs (and the MS implementations of macro security are a pain!).

If they could keep their docs compatible with the latest MS twists within a few months of each MS update then there'd be little reason to stick with MS anymore.

Problem is, MS likes to churn out changes to default file formats to generate the next generation of purchases, so that BS is going to continue for as long as they have dominance, and as long as consumers don't know any better about their alternatives.

:2cents:
It looks like I will have to give the latest OO a try as have been using LO since the fork because it appeared to be progressing at a greater rate especially with regards to compatibility in file conversion.
I think to a degree MS have cooked their goose as far as churning out new file formats since getting theirs OK'ed as a standard which they have only just managed to achieve themselves.
In regards to the DB import are there any command line options to do so.

zqwerty
01-11-2012, 11:56 PM
How is A4 set as default rather than letter in L.O. Writer?

Yorick
02-11-2012, 06:06 AM
:thumbs: Couldn't agree more.

One place I look after has 7 PC's ranging from XP & W7, 1 HP server ( only 5 of the PC's can connect to the server its how they wanted it - long story) only ever hear from them when theres a problem, and 99% of the time its something silly or the printers need some maintenance work.

The server was given to them since they are a charity organisation by HP seven years ago ( roughly) its never missed a beat, never needs any work doing to it.

They were at a charity / fund raising meeting and HP were there, they got talking and the guy from HP said anything we can do to help ask -- So they asked me what would be useful, a server would be nice - suggested a few, well they called the guy back at HP, and a few weeks later, brand new shiny server turned up complete with server 2003 installed, way more powerful than what they will ever use or need :eek: I Was shocked lol

HP have always been brilliant, now if MS took a leaf out of their book I would be much more impressed. I can't understand how HP can supply hardware with MS product pre-installed and yet MS still feel they have to charge. I helped schools doing the Small Schools Infrastructure upgrade project that had an HP server preinstalled with SuSE Linux Enterprise Server and the schools paid full price for the kit including gigabit network through the whole school in 25-75 share with the ministry and when I looked at what the schools got in the project it was clear that Novell and HP were giving them a real deal. Don't use HP hardware myself but Kudos to them for their charity work.

mikebartnz
02-11-2012, 08:33 AM
Format/Page and then it must hold that setting as I couldn't find one elsewhere and mine holds at A4.

mikebartnz
02-11-2012, 09:12 AM
I forgot to add check your actual printer settings too.

zqwerty
02-11-2012, 09:12 AM
Yeah already tried that on two of my computers here, Win7 Laptop and Win 8 Desktop, doesn't hold on either. Hmmmmm I am using the Portable apps version on both so maybe that's the reason, oh well, back to MS Word as always.

Nick G
02-11-2012, 09:46 AM
Yeah already tried that on two of my computers here, Win7 Laptop and Win 8 Desktop, doesn't hold on either. Hmmmmm I am using the Portable apps version on both so maybe that's the reason, oh well, back to MS Word as always.
I think to get the setting change to stick you need to change the setting then save the document, as opposed to opening up a blank document, changing the setting, then discarding the document. That way works for me at least.

mikebartnz
02-11-2012, 09:51 AM
I think to get the setting change to stick you need to change the setting then save the document, as opposed to opening up a blank document, changing the setting, then discarding the document. That way works for me at least.
The portable apps version may not hold the settings but it won't do any harm to try that which I agree with.

zqwerty
02-11-2012, 08:09 PM
Nope that didn't work either, sad really, falls over at first base. Goodbye LibreOffice

Yorick
02-11-2012, 08:57 PM
Nope that didn't work either, sad really, falls over at first base. Goodbye LibreOffice

A couple of things could be happening, portable apps uses a US localisation as default. LibreOffice full install doesn't, you set that during install. I'm not sure that portable apps writes a user profile in your program files directory which is where your normal personal settings are placed by LO. Portable apps screws with quite a few things in order to make it portable. You have to remember it's just based on LO but not the same. Usually the only reason people use the portable apps version is so they manipulate ODF documents on some one else's machine, definitely not recommended as your main install on your own machine. I assume you have it on a USB drive.

Anyway there is a fix that should work. Open a blank document and go Format > Page. Click the page tab and select A4 from the "Format" dropdown. The sizes should change. Modify any other setting you feel you want to then save as a name, say default2.OTT, The will be "Open Document Template" in the file type list. I don't know if you can save it on the portable apps drive, it would probably be best I think. Not had a whole lot of experience with it. anyway once saved, go to file > Templates > Organise.

In the left hand pane click "My Templates", now click "commands" on the right, from the dropdown select "Import Templates" In the "explorer" window navigate to wherever you saved your default2.ott template. select and click open. The default2 will appear under the My Templates heading in the left pane. Click it and go back to the "command" menu and from the dropdown click "Set as default template". Go Apply and OK. Close LO, reopen LO and go File > New > Text document and it should open as an A4. If it doesn't then the problem is with Portable Apps.

Agent_24
02-11-2012, 11:21 PM
Nothing wrong with page settings on my LibreOffice. I am not using the portable version, I expect that is your problem.

As Yorick said, PortableApps does all sorts of things to programs to get them to work in a 'portable' way.

mikebartnz
02-11-2012, 11:45 PM
So you are using the portable apps version and expect it to behave in the same way as the full version and as it doesn't you are quite happy to switch to the full version of Office. Sorry but that comes across as a troll post.

Agent_24
03-11-2012, 12:50 AM
Not sure if trolling or just stupid...

If you won't even bother to try to use the program properly, don't complain that it doesn't work properly.