PDA

View Full Version : They're back (or maybe they never went away)

Tony
30-10-2012, 03:35 PM
I got the old Windows support/virus infection call last night. Very persistent too - kept going even though I was telling them to go away using Very Short Words. I read somewhere that one of those operations had been busted, but they are obviously not entirely dead.

John H
30-10-2012, 04:17 PM
They are still alive in Oz as well. We are in Manjimup WA for a holiday at the moment and my son in law got one of the parasites the other night. He played her very well too, until she didn't like his questions about her employee number and hung up on him. She lied about where she was based, and gave a false phone number. She claimed to be from Microsoft.

Tony
30-10-2012, 04:35 PM
I can't be bothered with playing along these days - life's too short. I just tell them to f*** off and wait for them to hang up. That's why I was surprised yesterday - the caller took a lot of abuse before she gave up. It makes me wonder whether it is a new operation, as the caller was almost pleading with me to believe her - no chance!

FAB
01-11-2012, 10:42 AM
Not very nice I know, but I'd love to keep one of those air horn things they have at rugby etc games and keep it by the phone.
"Yes I do have a problem with my computer, it's making funny noises. Listen very carefully..." and then hit the horn!

Speedy Gonzales
01-11-2012, 11:09 AM
I wouldnt even bother talking. I would hang up. I've got better things to do

Billy T
01-11-2012, 10:04 PM
Not very nice I know, but I'd love to keep one of those air horn things they have at rugby etc games and keep it by the phone. "Yes I do have a problem with my computer, it's making funny noises. Listen very carefully..." and then hit the horn!

You'd probably be hurting your own ears more than theirs, because there is a finite limit to the sound pressure level that a telephone microphone can convert, and a similarly finite limit to the sound pressure level that a telephone headset or earpiece can deliver. It would not be very much different to simply shouting down the phone.

The threshold of pain occurs at an SPL (sound pressure level) of around 130-140db which is equivalent to takeoff power on a four engined military jet, or in my experience, a 1964 rolling Stones concert in the AK Town Hall. The latter was so loud that my ears went into total overload and it was impossible to tell what they were playing. I had to press my fingers very firmly in my ears to be able to recognise the tune and words. By comparison, a pneumatic drill close up is about 110db SPL.

What might possibly hurt a little would be a sharp electrical pulse as sometimes occurred on the old dial telephone system with mechanical exchanges etc. One or two of those could give you genuine earache, but you can't really duplicate that in today's systems.

Nice idea, but the claimed effects are an urban myth.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Slankydudl
01-11-2012, 10:09 PM
And dont forget that they are trying to get you to do a specific thing so they dont actually care about the noise so thus they wont turn up the volume or anything. and although it may be finite it can still suprise the heck out of somone an instead of using numbers as with audio they are difficult o calculate and dont take into account other factors but try putting a 20mm driver on your ear and blasting music through it, i just did an i can safly say that it was unpleasant. Or you could rewire the receiver and plug it into your computer and send some nice crisp sounding air horns their way. Its time to get creative with these people.

Tony
01-11-2012, 10:12 PM
The threshold of pain occurs at an SPL (sound pressure level) of around 130-140db which is equivalent to takeoff power on a four engined military jet, or in my experience, a 1964 rolling Stones concert in the AK Town Hall. The latter was so loud that my ears went into total overload and it was impossible to tell what they were playing. I had to press my fingers very firmly in my ears to be able to recognise the tune and words. By comparison, a pneumatic drill close up is about 110db SPL. Billy 8-{)Back when the world was young I went to an Emerson Lake and Palmer concert with my girlfriend (who later became my wife). It was similarly loud - so much so that I could actually blank it out and spent most of the event mentally working on a knotty programming problem! Of course after we we married I no longer had to pretend I like that sort of music...

Slankydudl
01-11-2012, 10:15 PM
Dammit u posted before i edited my post.