PDA

View Full Version : Itunes... bloat control

Tbird650
30-10-2012, 12:25 PM
Hi
I had to install itunes to get access to pics and video taken with my iphone. The laptop with the itunes install now has some programs running full time i.e. mDNSresponder and Apple Mobile device Service.
I want to trim down the number of forced to run entries in the task manager so I'm pondering on how to deal with these. The laptop notices the difference as while it's a dual core, it needs to be kept clean to run optimized. Possibly switching these items to manual start in Windows services might do the trick.
Has anyone had go at dealing with itunes bloat on a PC? ...I think "bonjour" is another Apple program that comes to mind.

Thanks. Comments on how to deal with itunes memory control invited.

wainuitech
30-10-2012, 12:41 PM
Have you gone into MSCONFIG /Start Tab and unticked the options for them to run on startup ?

kingdragonfly
30-10-2012, 12:48 PM
The price for using Apple's products is you lose most / all your ability to "open the bonnet (or hood) and tweak the engine."

If you were really serious, start a cmd prompt, and type

net start

this will give you a list of services, even ones that are not running

from there, you'd create two batch files

One to start the appropriate services, and another to stop 'em

STARTAPPLE.BAT

net start AppleService1
net start AppleService2

ENDAPPLE.BAT

net stop AppleService1
net stop AppleService2

"AppleService1" and "AppleService2" dont' actually exist; there just placeholders

Try Googling / experimentation to find which services Apple uses.

Tbird650
30-10-2012, 01:13 PM
Have you gone into MSCONFIG /Start Tab and unticked the options for them to run on startup ?
Everything there is unticked except the virus checker. (I've been using ccleaner which gives the same result I believe.)
So... the itune/apple services start automatically as they're set this way on install of the itunes program/s.

I suppose what I'm thinking of is setting the itunes services to manual and hoping they start up when requested by the respective launch of the itunes program.... but only when I choose to run it. Not each and every time I start the PC.
I thought I'd discuss this on the forum as no doubt other have had this issue before.

wainuitech
30-10-2012, 01:14 PM
As kingdragonfly advised, ITunes takes over. disable them as suggested, and see, you'll soon find out :)

Tbird650
30-10-2012, 01:20 PM
The price for using Apple's products is you lose most / all your ability to "open the bonnet (or hood) and tweak the engine."

If you were really serious, start a cmd prompt, and type

net start

this will give you a list of services, even ones that are not running

from there, you'd create two batch files

One to start the appropriate services, and another to stop 'em

STARTAPPLE.BAT

net start AppleService1
net start AppleService2

ENDAPPLE.BAT

net stop AppleService1
net stop AppleService2

"AppleService1" and "AppleService2" dont' actually exist; there just placeholders

Try Googling / experimentation to find which services Apple uses.
Innovative approach to the issue! Thanks for posting.
I like the "net start" command.

Actually I refuse to put itunes on my main desktop due the forcible way it wants to thrust it's programs and services upon the user. and bad luck if I only use it once a month as a program.
So I install it on a PC I don't use very often.

Still, if I can get the software to a manual start/stop situation, I may allow it back on my main PC.
Your solution might just work out! Thanks

psycik
30-10-2012, 01:31 PM
You should be able to go fairly itunes-less now.

I haven't tried it (I have itunes installed), but does the device (phone or ipod or ipad? I can't remember what you have) show up as a camera? Maybe some driver is loaded, but my phone does. That's you photos taken care of.

As for videos, if you use good player, you can bypass using itunes for loading videos.
Backups are to iCloud now (used to be itunes only)
Music, again goodplayer will play music, but I actually use spotify premium, with that you can say I want this playlist offline, and it sucks all the tracks onto your idevice.
IOS Upgrades, are OTA now.

Food for thought.

Tbird650
30-10-2012, 02:49 PM
You should be able to go fairly itunes-less now.

I haven't tried it (I have itunes installed), but does the device (phone or ipod or ipad? I can't remember what you have) show up as a camera? Maybe some driver is loaded, but my phone does. That's you photos taken care of.

As for videos, if you use good player, you can bypass using itunes for loading videos.
Backups are to iCloud now (used to be itunes only)
Music, again goodplayer will play music, but I actually use spotify premium, with that you can say I want this playlist offline, and it sucks all the tracks onto your idevice.
IOS Upgrades, are OTA now.

Food for thought.
Food for thought...yep.
It looks as though itunes is still required. Photos can be accessed because it's as you say, the phone is seen as a camera by windows. The video is another separate annoyance entirely.
I googled the GoodPlayer so will research that and see what it can do. Looks like it's for the iphone or ipad and not for a PC??

Icloud system requirements for a PC:
■Microsoft Windows 7
■iCloud Control Panel 2.0 or later
■iTunes 10.6.3 or later (for iTunes in the Cloud and iTunes Match)
■Outlook 2007 or 2010 or iCloud.com (for Contacts and Calendar)
■Internet Explorer 9 or later (for iCloud.com and Bookmarks) or Chrome 19 or later (for iCloud.com)

Elsewhere I read icloud requires 3GS and my iphone is 2G.

I've been using ifunbox however itunes is required for this too. At least I can access the video I have taken via ifunbox.

psycik
30-10-2012, 03:32 PM
Food for thought...yep.
It looks as though itunes is still required. Photos can be accessed because it's as you say, the phone is seen as a camera by windows. The video is another separate annoyance entirely.
I googled the GoodPlayer so will research that and see what it can do. Looks like it's for the iphone or ipad and not for a PC??

Video should be accessible on the phone as well, mine show up as .mov files when browsing the phone from a windows PC (thinking the phone is a camera).

Goodplayer is an app on the iphone/ipad for playback, it allows playback on non native apple format videos (eg .avi etc) - The advantage of goodplayer is it can (from the phone) connect to a samba share, ftp server or url and download the video to the phone. As opposed to the itunes model where you sync the video to the device.

Agent_24
30-10-2012, 03:33 PM
I use MediaMonkey instead of iTunes to manage my iPod, don't know if it will work with an iPhone though, but you could always try

autechre
31-10-2012, 08:29 AM
The bonjour service can be disabled - itunes will moan the first time it's launched without bonjour running, but you can ignore it :)
Here's some info on what it does: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2250

The rest of the services are useful, so you can put them in a batch file as kingdragonfly suggested.

MediaMonkey will happily deal with importing/synching mp3s & movies on your iphone - not sure on apps though.

Speedy Gonzales
31-10-2012, 08:44 AM
Hopefully, the latest version of mediamonkey is better than the one I tried a while ago. It was useless, and made a mess of my files. Winamp did a better job

Agent_24
31-10-2012, 09:22 AM
Hopefully, the latest version of mediamonkey is better than the one I tried a while ago. It was useless, and made a mess of my files. Winamp did a better job

Haven't had a problem with it so far. Only use it for loading files onto a 6G Nano though. Nothing else (except iTunes I expect) would add the files properly - they wouldn't show up in the iPod.

They would be there on disk, but the thing wouldn't play them, just said there was nothing there.

Speedy Gonzales
31-10-2012, 09:46 AM
Last time I used MM, you had to select so many options to get the thing to sync properly. At least with Winamp, all you do is click on whatever and send or something, and it was there.

Agent_24
31-10-2012, 09:55 AM
In MediaMonkey I just add the files I want to the default playlist and then tell it to send the lot to the iPod.

You can delete the playlist off the iPod afterwards if you want, the files all stay there.

Tbird650
31-10-2012, 12:18 PM
I looked at MM and Winamp.
MM requires itunes according to these instructions:

Prepare the iPod / iPhone (or compatible device)
1.Connect your iPod and run iTunes

With Winamp, it doesn't "discover" the iphone.

I suspect that both these program require itunes.

I note that windows explorer only shows the pics the iphone has. The video isn't shown. Using ifunbox, I can see where the video is stored and can retrieve it.
Raw file system/user/media/iphonerecorder.
The application which takes the video is called iphone video recorder 3.1

The batch file worked. It's been many years since I had to create a batch file so I had to have a crash refresher course.

Agent_24
31-10-2012, 12:30 PM
I looked at MM and Winamp.
MM requires itunes according to these instructions:

Prepare the iPod / iPhone (or compatible device)
1.Connect your iPod and run iTunes

With Winamp, it doesn't "discover" the iphone.

I suspect that both these program require itunes.

Well, I have used the 6G Nano since "brand new" (From replacement in Apple battery recall) and have never used it with iTunes yet. First I tried Winamp which didn't work, and then I got MediaMonkey which did.

Perhaps if I did use it with iTunes, it would then work in Winamp, but MediaMonkey works and I don't want to install iTunes so that's how I'm going to keep it.

Tbird650
31-10-2012, 12:35 PM
As an update to this:
I'd set the 3 Apple/itune/ipod/iphone items: Bonjour, Ipod service and apple mobile device to manual.

Upon running the ifunbox and connection the iphone via USB, I find the Apple Mobile device has "started"... All on its' own.
So, this appears to eliminate the batch file step!
Now I'm looking closely at whether I can completely uninstall Bonjour, Apple application support, etc

Thanks to those who helped, gave suggestions and offered experience.
Hope this is helpful. Will update as I learn more...

Tbird650
31-10-2012, 12:42 PM
Well, I have used the 6G Nano since "brand new" (From replacement in Apple battery recall) and have never used it with iTunes yet. First I tried Winamp which didn't work, and then I got MediaMonkey which did.

Perhaps if I did use it with iTunes, it would then work in Winamp, but MediaMonkey works and I don't want to install iTunes so that's how I'm going to keep it.
Most interesting. Mine iphone doesnt show in the locations list including "my computer", network etc.
Perhaps it's already too old being a 2G running 3.1.3?
Am I missing a step?

Agent_24
31-10-2012, 02:59 PM
Having never even used an iPhone I am not sure, but perhaps it's a problem like mentioned here:

http://www.troublefixers.com/solved-iphone-does-not-show-up-in-my-computer-iphone-icon-missing-in-windows-explorer-cannot-transfer-iphone-photos-in-my-computer-iphone-disappeared-does-not-display-as-drive-with-camera-ic/

or

http://www.applei.ph/mango/component/option,com_kunena/Itemid,49/func,view/catid,35/id,71881/

(which suggests the use of a program "iphonefolders" from http://iphonefolders.com/)

Tbird650
31-10-2012, 04:32 PM
Agent_24, thanks.
The troublefixers solution doesn't apply because the solution only addresses pictures on the iphone and I can access those via explorer even now. Basically it looks as though that solution is about how to get the iphone to re-display itself as a camera icon. Good thought though.

The applei solution has a bit more promise. My first attempt failed as it's not compatible with 7-64bit though it let me install it before it told me.
Ok, so I crank the 32bitXP laptop up and installed the program. Immediately the error: Can't subscribe to AMDevice appeared. A bit more reading and it says use itunes to get functionality.
My solution was to start the service Apple Mobile Device to which explorer complied by showing the iphone file contents. Ok. so it needs the batch file to start the service though has the convenience of explorer as the viewing mechanism and it doesn't need itunes. So far, I think this is the best solution.
Thanks for posting these options.

Agent_24
31-10-2012, 05:43 PM
I think the solution is to stay away from Apple in the first place... I make exception with my iPod since it was free!

Speedy Gonzales
31-10-2012, 06:01 PM
Itunes is compatible with 64 bit, since there's a 64 bit version of it. If youre trying to install 32 bit Itunes on 64 bit, install 64 bit

Tbird650
31-10-2012, 09:13 PM
Itunes is compatible with 64 bit, since there's a 64 bit version of it. If youre trying to install 32 bit Itunes on 64 bit, install 64 bit
Sorry Speedy, I think you've misunderstood me. Perhaps I didn't explain it very well. The program I installed is from http://iphonefolders.com/
it was iphonefolders that gave the incompatible 64bit notice. On the 32bit lappy it installed fine.

Iphonefolders works because it shows the raw file system.

Tbird650
03-11-2012, 12:03 AM
It's been a couple of days and I've had time to play with iphonefolders and ifunbox along with the batch files I created to start/stop the "Applemobile device" service.

iphonefolders is proving to be a bit buggy. I can start the service, then view the files but if I stop the service, then restart it... iphonefolders won't play as it should.
ifunbox on the other hand doesn't need the service manually starting. It will activate the service automatically.
So I'm going to keep ifunbox and dump iphonefolders. I'm posting this for the benefit of those interested and those who find this post at a later stage.
Hope it helps keep your PC up to speed.

Metla
03-11-2012, 12:11 AM
Apple is to computing what Herpes is to sex.

And you welcomed it in, Thats like banging a 20c whore at the cross.

Tbird650
03-11-2012, 01:15 AM
One last thing as a pointer to those wanting to streamline iphone access on a PC using ifunbox but without itunes.
I was able to uninstall these:
Itunes
Bonjour
Apple software updater

I needed to keep:
Apple application support
Apple mobile device support

I could switch this service to manual:
Apple mobile device (as this program would start with the launch of ifunbox).