PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8? - Not for me.

Bryan
30-10-2012, 09:22 AM
I have it installed on a separate HDD and there it will stay. I'm too old to be bothered by such things as applying for Apps to load Solitaire and other games among many other things. Gone are the personal controls, Microsoft are now pulling the strings!

I'm more than happy with Windows 7 on my Desktop - it's something I know and very much like.

My only hope is that Win8 is not going to supercede and take over Win7 for quite sometime to come.

For people that are not Windows savy I can only see them turning away from Win8 completely confused!

bk T
30-10-2012, 09:31 AM

For people that are not Windows savy I can only see them turning away from Win8 completely confused!

+ 1

ruup
30-10-2012, 09:58 AM
Bring on #9 - 8 isn't for me.

JJJJJ
30-10-2012, 10:00 AM
Agree entirely. I do not have a laptop,a smart? phone or an Ipad. I have a computer that runs on windows 7. I have no wish to spend the day pushing icons around. I know where most thing are that I need.
I tried a pre-release version of 8. That is as far as I am going with it. I still don't know how to switch it off.

pcuser42
30-10-2012, 10:15 AM
I still don't know how to switch it off.

The power button. Exactly the same way it's been done since Windows 95. ;)

Lurking
30-10-2012, 10:41 AM
No self destruct Icon then ?.

Lurking.

Iantech
30-10-2012, 10:49 AM
I think there will be many in this boat. Windows 8 just doesnt cut it as a desktop OS in my opinion. If they wanted to break into the tablet/touch screen market, well and fine, but a desktop system really needs a desktop OS, while Win8 might scrape by, its not really the desktop solution in my opinion. Thank goodness Win7 will be supported until 2020, by that time Win8 will be long gone.

dugimodo
30-10-2012, 10:56 AM
The power button. Exactly the same way it's been done since Windows 95. ;)

It's true, this is the easiest way BUT - it has to be set to shutdown in windows power management and the BIOS has to be configured to not power down when the button is pushed also. These are normally the default settings but there is no garauntee when you tell someone to push the power button that it will shut down gracefully like they want.

If you move your mouse pointer to the top right corner a menu pops up, select the settings icon (I think) and then you should see the power button from there. I agree it's an annoyance hiding it away, shutting down is an everday occurance for many of us and my PC lives under the desk so I'd like to use the mouse to shut down a lot of the time rather than the admittedly tiny effort of letting the mouse go and leaning over to push the power button.

I've seen a guide somewhere on how to make a tile with the power button on it, I intend to try that at some point
edit: link http://www.groovypost.com/howto/create-windows-8-metro-shutdown-tile/

Lawrence
30-10-2012, 11:07 AM
There is plenty of options out there to get the usability of Win 7 back again for desktop functionality

The most promising is "Start-is-Back",still in Beta at the moment http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/158666-start-is-back/

Paul.Cov
30-10-2012, 12:12 PM
No self destruct Icon then ?.

Lurking.

It's not in button form, but the process of self destruct occurs gradually via Microsoft Update over the next 2 years as they patch a thousand holes.

At least, this is what history to date indicates.

Trev
30-10-2012, 12:29 PM
Get a keyboard with an off button on it. Thats how I turn my computer off. Works on Windows 8.
:)

Agent_24
30-10-2012, 02:11 PM
I tried a pre-release version of 8. That is as far as I am going with it. I still don't know how to switch it off.

For the Metro-loving masochists, move your mouse to the right hand side of the screen, and if you're lucky some sort of menu will appear. You may need to wait, it likely won't appear straight away, because that would be useful.

Said menu should have several icons including a Cog called "Settings" - click that, and then you will find another menu and a button called "Power" - click that, and then click "Shutdown"

Or, install Classic Shell, disable Metro, and give yourself a proper Start Menu with a shutdown button.

Then the process is nothing more than clicking "Start" and then "Shutdown" as usual.

Simple.

pcuser42
30-10-2012, 03:03 PM
For the Metro-loving masochists, move your mouse to the right hand side of the screen, and if you're lucky some sort of menu will appear. You may need to wait, it likely won't appear straight away, because that would be useful.

Move your mouse to either corner on the right-hand side, and the Charms menu appears. Then click Settings and Power.

Or, as I've said many times before... ;)

pctek
30-10-2012, 03:25 PM
Windows 8 just doesnt cut it as a desktop OS.

+1

Renegade
30-10-2012, 04:16 PM
Uggh, just installed it on my 5 year old laptop after piking out putting it on my main desktop PC. Runs fine (faster boot than the previously installed Vista), but will take a while to get the hang of. Don't know if I can be bothered, but got a job tomorrow with someone who's just bought a new laptop with it installed so thought I better get up to speed :waughh:

nmercer
30-10-2012, 05:48 PM
Agree entirely. I do not have a laptop,a smart? phone or an Ipad. I have a computer that runs on windows 7. I have no wish to spend the day pushing icons around. I know where most thing are that I need.

switch it off in exactly the same way as previous versions of Windows, when you're in the desktop hit Alt-F4

The only reason why you know how to click on start, to get to shutdown in previous versions of Windows is because you've learnt that. In Windows 8 it has changed, and its in the Charms with the top right/bottom right corner, settings, then power. Or Windows Key + I

but like I said Alt-F4 on the desktop works in Windows 8 exactly like it has for years

nmercer
30-10-2012, 05:50 PM
LOL, the start menu becomes a full screen start screen and you write the OS off as it doesn't cut it as a desktop OS now. You're overlooking all of the other enhancements especially the speed and footprint.

nmercer
30-10-2012, 06:03 PM

you don't need to push any icons around

pin the common apps you use to Taskbar

For me the startup and shutdown speed combined with additional security features is worth the NZ$49.99 upgrade price

nmercer
30-10-2012, 06:04 PM
so to summarise, we don't like change?

wainuitech
30-10-2012, 06:07 PM
Personally All I do is make shortcuts to the shutdown, and restart exe ( its been mentioned here in another thread lately) then tap the Windows key click shutdown, or pin them to the task bar, or on the keyboard that has a power button map it to shutdown. Easy really.

The "start Menu" only has on it what I would use all the time. Many people don't like the Old start/all programs disappearing, but if you think about it, how often do you really go into it. And if its a lot then make a tile on the start page one click compared to several. Same with the control panel, how often do you really go into that in day to day work, once again if a lot, make a tile.

After using W8 for a while now, Windows 7 actually seems slower to get things done, several steps to get someplace instead of one.

pcuser42
30-10-2012, 06:19 PM
so to summarise, we don't like change? Pretty much. Just ask those who still use XP :rolleyes:

pcuser42
30-10-2012, 06:26 PM
Personally All I do is make shortcuts to the shutdown, and restart exe ( its been mentioned here in another thread lately) then tap the Windows key click shutdown, or pin them to the task bar, or on the keyboard that has a power button map it to shutdown. Easy really.

There's also this app (http://apps.microsoft.com/webpdp/app/e9ba3c75-f44d-4121-94c0-a298560cb383).

jcr1
30-10-2012, 07:30 PM
so to summarise, we don't like change?

True, true. I'm a bit like that myself:lol::lol:. I've installed a 30 day trial version of "stardock". So I'll get the beloved start button back (and the stuff that goes with it).
But now I think I should go "cold turkey" and just get used to the way win8 is.....well maybe. I actually quite like win8, but I actually thought Vista was alright:eek:, so I guess I must be odd, then again, win7 was better:thumbs:

Lurking
30-10-2012, 07:34 PM
It's not in button form, but the process of self destruct occurs gradually via Microsoft Update over the next 2 years as they patch a thousand holes.

At least, this is what history to date indicates.

Paul, someone pressed one of those W8 "buttons/icons" a few months back and s t u f f e d up the Iranian nuclear progress, lol.

Lurking.

wainuitech
30-10-2012, 07:36 PM
There's also this app (http://apps.microsoft.com/webpdp/app/e9ba3c75-f44d-4121-94c0-a298560cb383).

Thats new - good find, saves making the shortcuts manually I spose. HUGE question will some people still complain about spending $1.99 :D

or another hurdle
Age rating: 12+ ;) LOL