PDA

View Full Version : Nod32 and Win8 concern.

Bryan
29-10-2012, 07:27 PM
I have Nod32 on my Win7 system. I have installed Win8 on another HDD on the computer and can boot from either.

Will Nod32 protect both Win7 & 8 or do I have to install it on Win8 as well?

askewdread
29-10-2012, 07:46 PM
It will scan at a file level when your booted from the Windows 7 install, but it wont be able to protect running process's / protect registry and that sort of thing, and when your in the Windows 8 install you would be unprotected, so best would be install it on both

wainuitech
29-10-2012, 09:02 PM
Agree, install it on both OS's. You don't need another Licence, as its still the one PC so you can use it again.

To quote Eset:

11.I use a dual-boot computer with two separate operating systems — how many licenses do I need?
You only need one (1) license, as you cannot use both operating systems simultaneously

Bryan
29-10-2012, 09:13 PM
Thanks for that.

Geek4414
29-10-2012, 10:47 PM
Is additional Anti-virus protection still necessary with Windows 8?

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2013139/windows-8-raises-the-bar-for-pc-security.html

... we have Windows Defender. If you’re already using Windows Vista or Windows 7, or if you’ve downloaded the free tool to use with Windows XP, then you’re already familiar with Windows Defender…sort of. Previous versions of Windows Defender have been strictly anti-spyware, while Microsoft offered a separate, standalone tool for broader antimalware protection called Security Essentials. In Windows 8, the two are merged together so Windows Defender is actually a more comprehensive antimalware tool.

Windows Defender is part of Windows 8, and it’s enabled by default so you get protection right out of the box. However, Microsoft does allow for OEMs to disable and replace the Windows Defender protection with third-party tools. So, if you buy a system from Best Buy or Wal-Mart there’s a very good chance you’ll still have some sort of trial version of Norton antivirus or something pre-installed.

Windows Defender should still be there, though—you just need to enable it. Wolfgang Kandek, CTO of Qualys, points out that Windows Defender is primarily a consumer-oriented security tool. “Organizations, which typically require management capabilities, such as reports on machine update status and alerts of neutralized malware, will still need to look for an enterprise malware solution.”

pctek
30-10-2012, 08:06 AM
Is additional Anti-virus protection still necessary with Windows 8?

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2013139/windows-8-raises-the-bar-for-pc-security.html

... we have Windows Defender.

It's crap.
You want something that will actually detect malware.
NOD32 for sure.

Geek4414
30-10-2012, 09:02 AM
It's crap.
NOD32 for sure.

Don't get me wrong, I really like NOD32 and wouldn't use anything else. That was a question from me, not my opinion! May be it came across in the wrong tone. >_<

Mind you, I do recommend MSSE to others if they do not want a paid product. Also tell them to stay away from the like of AVG, AVAST, Norton (ewww) and McaFee

dugimodo
30-10-2012, 09:21 AM
It's crap.
NOD32 for sure.

A bit strong perhaps, it's free, unobtrusive, and does offer some protection. Not my personal definition of crap. I might say it's not good enough by itself, but I don't think that makes it crap. If you own NOD32 use it, if not defender supplemented by maybe one or two anti-malware programs will do a reasonable job. Myself I go for MBAM and Spybot, totally free solution and I find it protects me pretty well.

Does NOD32 do malware? I know it's highly regarded but was under the impression it was more of an anti-virus than anti-malware, from your comment I assume it does both?

Defender is Just MSE with a new(old) name. They may have tweaked it a little but it looks and acts exactly the same and MSE already disables and takes over from the old defender when you install it so I fail to see a difference. I actually think it's great to see MS incorporating some level of protection into the OS by default, and for those who want more they can always get it.