PDA

View Full Version : Print a list of file names.

Bryan
29-10-2012, 10:17 AM
I have in a folder, a list of file names that I would like to print.

I have no idea how to do this. If you want some text to print I would normally highlight it, copy it and transfer it to word and print fom there.

With a list of files in a folder it seems this cannot be done so instead of typing them all, how can I do it?

nedkelly
29-10-2012, 10:22 AM
cmd and then cd to the directory and then dir > (filename).txt i believe.
If im wrong someone please correct me

nedkelly
29-10-2012, 10:24 AM
cmd and then cd to the directory and then dir > (filename).txt i believe.
If im wrong someone please correct me

ronyville
29-10-2012, 10:36 AM
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000772.htm

dir /b would be what you are after, it only prints the files names and not other information about the files

Chilling_Silence
29-10-2012, 11:42 AM
Yeah I use /B ("Bare" listing)

So something like:
dir /B c:\directoryname > c:\output.txt

Lists everything in "directoryname" and saves it to output.txt for later viewing / printing / emailing etc

dugimodo
29-10-2012, 02:13 PM
If you don't want to do it from a command prompt or want to be able to do it easily anytime open a notepad document and copy Chills command into it with corrected file path or just do a Dir /B > List.txt (which will put the list in the same dir), save it as (for eg) list.bat (not .txt), copy or move it into the dir and double click it. That'll create the list.txt file which you can then print.

Frank_sumbody
30-10-2012, 07:03 AM
Of course if Bryan can not print a list of directory names, Bryan might not know how to get into the DOS mode, would it be handy to know the operating system?

I have Windows 7, I am not too sure how to get into the DOS prompt, give me Windows 98se anytime, I can do DOS things with that no trouble.

Scubadoo
30-10-2012, 08:58 AM
Bryan

Karen's Directory Printer (http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptdirprn.asp) has worked perfectly for me over the years.

Bryan
30-10-2012, 09:26 AM
Scubadoo I thank you.

Nomad
30-10-2012, 09:45 AM
You could also list or search the files with Windows and then hit the print screen key ... paste into a graphics or paint and print an image out :D

ManUFan
30-10-2012, 12:35 PM
Of course if Bryan can not print a list of directory names, Bryan might not know how to get into the DOS mode, would it be handy to know the operating system?

I have Windows 7, I am not too sure how to get into the DOS prompt, give me Windows 98se anytime, I can do DOS things with that no trouble.

Easy: Windows key + R to get command line, then type CMD then click OK to get a 'DOS' environment. Then type EXIT to close...

Tony
30-10-2012, 03:32 PM
Bryan

Karen's Directory Printer (http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptdirprn.asp) has worked perfectly for me over the years.
+1

Chilling_Silence
30-10-2012, 03:57 PM
Easy: Windows key + R to get command line, then type CMD then click OK to get a 'DOS' environment. Then type EXIT to close...

Yeah pretty sure it's been that way even back in Win98 (Though IIRC it may have been 'command' but I do believe 'cmd' also worked).
On top of that, the OP could have simply asked if they needed to know.

Frank_sumbody
31-10-2012, 05:17 AM
OH DEAR HOW SAD NEVER MIND: (windows 7)
This does not work, press 'Windows key' + 'r' (Run window pops up, with a ) type in 'dir' a windows pops up saying dir The file name is not valid.

ARGH!!! BUT THIS DOES WORK: (Windows 98se)
Click 'Start' -> 'Programs' -> 'MS-DOS Prompt' type in dir a long list of file names and folders comes up on the screen

CONCLUSION:
It seems to be easier to make something hard to do than it does to make something easy to do.

Frank_sumbody
31-10-2012, 05:21 AM
OH DEAR HOW SAD NEVER MIND: (windows 7)
This does not work, press 'Windows key' + 'r' (Run window pops up, with a ) type in 'dir' a windows pops up saying dir The file name is not valid.

ARGH!!! BUT THIS DOES WORK: (Windows 98se)
Click 'Start' -> 'Programs' -> 'MS-DOS Prompt' type in dir a long list of file names and folders comes up on the screen

CONCLUSION:
It seems to be easier to make something hard to do than it does to make something easy to do. did I forget to take my medication?

Frank_sumbody
31-10-2012, 05:36 AM
Silly me, Now I have it, I forgot to type in 'CMD' first

See this is where Microsoft has lost it, I wound have one input box for Open: (like it has, and another box for MS-DOS commands, either a button you click and it goes off to the black screen on DOS enjoyment world, or get there via a entry from the other input line. then you dont have to ask "what is the three character command you enter to get the DOS screen?" when or if you did not know.

Like back in the 1994 when I was trying to learn the DOS commands on a 286 , a message came up "invalid file name or command" what it could of said as well "the command you just entered must be a new command equire at your nearest Microsoft sales for updated DOS version", but instead it left me thinking the book I was learning from had errors in it.

Chilling_Silence
31-10-2012, 09:21 AM
did I forget to take my medication?

I think so.