PDA

View Full Version : joining short video clips,

carlwatson
28-10-2012, 04:40 PM
I am trying to find a simple way to just "join" MOV video clips, I don't want to "render" or "edit" in any way, just join up the discrete clips made by my Canon 5D mark2 DSLR, into a single short video, instead of lots of even shorter clips. I have tried MANY advertised as "free video joiner" etc, but they ALL render the clips into a much compressed form,(and lose quality too), all I want is to JOIN, nothing more. My panasonic DVD recorder will do this automatically for my AVCHD camera,(in quicker than real time too), so it can't be hard, or impossible, surely there is some way to just join up the clips, without any further processing?

Myth
28-10-2012, 04:48 PM
Virtualdub

Howto here: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/merge-multiple-video-files-with-virtualdub/

fnphoto
28-10-2012, 05:43 PM
My Nikon D800 also produces *.mov files & I use Premier CS6 to easily edit and join them. I haven't heard of any totally free video editing programs for mov files but AVS Video Editor also makes a good job of merging - ( a 30 day trial is available).

BBCmicro
29-10-2012, 07:38 AM
but they ALL render the clips into a much compressed form,(and lose quality too),

Back in the old days when videos were MPEG, yes, there were quality problems with re-rendering, and of course, computers were so slow you wanted to avoid it

But these days, it is not really a problem. The key thing is to keep the video bit-rate high (eg H264 @ 4Mbps)

I use Premiere CS5.5 for editing, but if I just want quick-and-dirty joining I use MPEG Streamclip. This freeware works on MPEG .ts files and goes OK with my Win7pro64 but does require a fast machine. In my case, my recordings start off as MPEG .ts so I don't need to convert before using it. I use freeware Xmedia Recode for conversion and sound normalisation (if I don't use Premiere)

I used VirtualDub for a while but I could only get it to work with .avi files (with the video as mp4 eg Divx). I struggled with audio video synchronisation, a serious problem with .avi files. Eventually Chilling Silence convinced me to go to H264-within-MP4 and I haven't looked back

Speedy Gonzales
29-10-2012, 08:03 AM
Freemake video converter can load mov files. Its free. It can also edit them. It (so it says here can join them too) (http://www.freemake.com/how_to/how_to_join_videos_into_one)

fnphoto
29-10-2012, 08:35 AM
Freemake does seem to make a good job of merging but you cannot seem to resave in .mov format unlike Premiere. Which is why one pays an arm & a leg for Prem I suppose! (If you install Freemake watch for the add-ons when installing).

Speedy Gonzales
29-10-2012, 09:03 AM
It looks like it can convert to mov tho

Tony
29-10-2012, 08:36 PM
I don't know about the file format, but I spent Sunday with Windows Live Movie Maker, and that can certainly string clips together. I've used Freemake as well, which can definitely convert.