PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8 Pro

pethon
28-10-2012, 12:46 PM
I have just upgraded my laptop with Windows 8 Pro from a download and it was very successful. But I want to make a backup a copy of this upgrade to a DVD disc
Whats the best way to do this?

The Error Guy
28-10-2012, 12:51 PM
Depends how often you'd want to do the upgrade. I'd burn the upgrade .exe + all your drivers to a DVD, even better would be to put it on a USB flash drive or make a bootable USB drive which you could use to update and install.

If you install windows a bit then using the USB is going to be best (faster + you can put service packs and drivers on later when they come out. If it's more of a once off then put it on DVD by itself or with drivers. Include a .txt file with the keys + write it on the disk too ;)

wainuitech
28-10-2012, 05:13 PM
Windows 8, Microsoft in their wisdom :rolleyes: have actually removed the option to make a image of the complete drive easy. The backup they have now only backs up your files.

There is a way though.

Open a command Prompt in administrator mode. To do this, right click the start screen, all apps, look for Command Prompt, right click it, and down the bottom open as administrator.

When it opens - type in the following, pressing enter after each command.

mkdir C:\Win8image

recimg -CreateImage C:\Win8image

You'll see the commands activate, it will create a folder on the C Drive called Win8image, then make an image of your drive in that folder - depending on how much data is on the drive will depend on how long it takes. Can take an hour or more depending on how much data, speed of PC etc. You can then save that folder to someplace else. If you ever need it, you then use the "refresh my computer" options from a recovery CD.

I've actually just made a bat file to do the job, saves having to type it all out each time.

NOTE: if you have a second Drive in the PC you can change the drive letter to that drive.

Another way is to use third party imaging software - Personally I use Active@disk image.

wainuitech
28-10-2012, 10:38 PM
Just remembered there is another way to make a system Image - open the control Panel, locate Windows 7 File recovery ( yes its on Windows 8) Select Create System Image, then select where you want o put it. Keep in mind, it more than likely wont fit on a DVD ( you may need several), so you'll need either a external USB drive of large enough capacity, or a Network location.

dugimodo
29-10-2012, 09:58 AM
If you just want a windows setup disk, run the install windows link again (if you still have it) and use the install from media option (or something similar to that) and it creates an iso of the windows setup disk that you can burn to disk. I did it this way so I'd have it for any future re-installs.