PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8 - Touch keyboard

somebody
27-10-2012, 09:37 PM
I decided to take the plunge and upgrade to Windows 8 today. So far so good... the UI is taking some getting used to but there are aspects of the OS I quite like.

I don't use a mouse; I use a Wacom tablet instead as my primary pointing device. The problem is as follows:

1) If I don't install the Wacom drivers, then the tablet behaves like a mouse, i.e. in "relative" mode. I prefer having it in "absolute" mode, where the top left of the tablet = top left of your monitor, bottom right of tablet = bottom right of monitor etc. I can't see any way to kick it into this mode without installing the Wacom drivers.
2) If I do install the drivers (originally intended for Windows 7), and turn on this mode, Windows decides that my 24" monitor is a touchscreen, which means whenever I focus on a text field, the on-screen-keyboard pops up until I either minimise it, or start typing with my real keyboard. This gets quite annoying
3) For some reason, I think because of 2), Windows sometimes can't seem to decide whether I'm on a touchscreen device or a keyboard/mouse driven device. Sporadically, hot corners won't work, but if I click somewhere on the screen using my laptop's touchpad, then it comes right.
4) Possibly related to the problems above... when a UAC prompt pops up, my "mouse" will stop working for about 5 seconds. Then it'll normally come right. I've had a few occasions where I've had to reboot

I've spent a few hours searching for a solution to this but haven't had any luck. Does anyone have any suggestions?

My suspicions are that it's a dodgy Wacom driver, but I don't really have any other options at this stage.

wainuitech
27-10-2012, 10:10 PM
:2cents: Never heard of them before. Assuming its one of These (http://www.wacom.com/en/products/pen-tablets#&panel1-1)

You may find the Windows 7 drivers are not compatible fully with Windows 8. From their FAQ if you search for Windows 8,

Cintiq 24HD touch will support Windows 8 when it’s released. For the full benefits of simultaneous pen and multi-touch, customers will want to upgrade their software as it becomes available.

Currently the sites only show Windows 7 - give it a few days and they may have newer drivers. :2cents:

somebody
27-10-2012, 10:34 PM
:2cents: Never heard of them before. Assuming its one of These (http://www.wacom.com/en/products/pen-tablets#&panel1-1)

You may find the Windows 7 drivers are not compatible fully with Windows 8. From their FAQ if you search for Windows 8,

Currently the sites only show Windows 7 - give it a few days and they may have newer drivers. :2cents:

Yup - I have an older version (purchased in either 2007 or 2008... and at the time it was an end of life model), and am attempting to use the W7 drivers.