PDA

View Full Version : The Amazing Wainuitech

pctek
27-10-2012, 07:11 PM
Thanks for the rescue.

I had a rather hateful PC here, cloned HDD, Windows XP insisted on being activated again. Fine. Clicked but the wizard wouldn't launch.
Went round in circles for most of the afternoon trying assorted fixes.
Wainui found a hotfix.

However IE died totally on it so had to repair install in the end (again). That died with various BSODs, rebooted intending to wipe the lot and do a fresh install, but it actually resumed the repair.

Applied hotfix, installed IE8, voila, finally the activation did it's thing.

Slightly maddening problem without going into the details f the nasty loop MS made me go through....you have to have a working fully IE to activate, even if you are using another browser.

Bryan
27-10-2012, 07:32 PM
He's a mighty man is WT!

Nick G
27-10-2012, 07:44 PM
Nice one Wainuitech :thumbs:

wainuitech
27-10-2012, 09:21 PM
Awhhh Sucks :blush:

Just found some possible things to try.

To tell the truth PCtech sounded on the phone like she was on the verge of losing the plot and about to throw something LOL :p I felt sorry for her husband - the poor bugger may be in for it if she really let lose ;)

Glad you got it fixed.

HINT: send it back quick in case it breaks again :lol:

Personally I really hate it when a PC is 99% OK, and there's one small thing that's being a PITA :D.

I got one like that at the moment, just waiting for the customer to call me back.

Jen
27-10-2012, 09:35 PM
You don't wear your underpants outside your pants do you?! :eek:

Not only helping here on the forum, but off - that is really generous of you. :)

lakewoodlady
27-10-2012, 09:49 PM
All hails to WT! He would win tech of the year in my book too. (along with Chill and Speedy :-) )

LL :-)

linw
27-10-2012, 10:48 PM
+1.

Hope you are good at Win 8 snags like my no IE!!

wainuitech
27-10-2012, 11:14 PM
Nothing like a late night Saturday challenge lol.

Take a look at the upgrading to Windows 8 thread, somethings to try that comes to my not so sober mind at the moment. ----- hic (Scuse me)

pctek
28-10-2012, 07:33 AM
Just found some possible things to try.

To tell the truth PCtech sounded on the phone like she was on the verge of losing the plot and about to throw something LOL .

Yes. If the customer (well - friend, you know, wave your magic wand and fix this piece of junk) was Wgtn based, I would have been recommending they see Mr Wainuitech instead......

And no, husband was busy trimming the neighbors privet.
BTW, Wainui - if you need any plumbing questions answered, feel free to phone....I was telling him about your project....
Actually it did (or perhaps still does) have something wrong with it.

It BSODed again.
I've had:

c000021a. This one was wile the annoying activation issue too.

Graphics did not initialize - this on repair install before it actually got to the choose enter or R choices.
Hung on repair install again - no BSOD, just off. Not overheating.....although it seemed like an overheating shut down.

It hung in Windows, event viewer showed some non-specific weird errors

Still, uninstalling various things (hardware and software), ccleaner, HJT etc seems to have calmed it down again now.

It has an Aywun PSU, Foxconn MB and it had 2 optical drives, 1 FDD and 1 zip drive running off this poor crap PSU. Removed most of the hardware.
Also filthy, vacuumed it too.

Uninstalled AVG and leftover Nortons too. Ran malware checks, nothing really, a toolbar but still....
Only took me from 2pm to 11pm.

So far, so good, but I'll keep it running today just to be sure.

linw
28-10-2012, 08:15 AM
9 hours! I never fail to be amazed at how time just disappears when sorting PC problems out. Often you are working on slow hardware to begin with and all those reboots take time. Not to mention the google queries etc.

Good luck with this tricky project.