PDA

View Full Version : Touch Screen.

Poppa John
26-10-2012, 07:03 PM
Hi All.
Windows 8 is a touch screen OS.
Is any computer of any age or brand automatically touch screen? Or is it only a new computer? PJ

Trev
26-10-2012, 07:19 PM
You have to get a touch screen monitor. Something like this
http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=400581
:)

CliveM
26-10-2012, 07:24 PM
No PJ the touch screen is a special item and is probably only practical for a new device. I cannot see a touchscreen being of much use for the usual PC use. Windows 8 however will run quite well without a touch screen.

wainuitech
26-10-2012, 07:30 PM
Viewsonic have just released a new one - the TD2220 Specs etc here (http://www.viewsonic.com/products/td2220.htm)

Poppa John
26-10-2012, 07:38 PM
So...an existing PC can be loaded with W8 but needs a new monitor.

An exising laptop, that will not support Touch Screen, will need total replacement. Or perhaps, buy a sperate moniter to use at home for touch screen use.

Given the "Spare Money" that most people don't have, (even to save for their pensions!), I don't see the need for an upgrade from W7 ( or My XP.) Many will of course....just because they can . W8 does seem to be a lot cheaper than earlier OS/s. PJ

wainuitech
26-10-2012, 07:42 PM
Yep, its only the screen that needs to be changed ( for a desktop).

Speedy Gonzales
26-10-2012, 07:49 PM
You can also buy kits (for monitors) to make a non touch screen touchscreen. But this can or will be fiddly. Since you'll have to pull the screen apart to make it touchscreen. It looks like you can get that touchscreen, for about 380-400

Terry Porritt
26-10-2012, 07:55 PM
Don't touch screens get dirty sticky fingermarks all over them ????

Speedy Gonzales
26-10-2012, 07:57 PM
Probably. Will happen with smartphones too.

Nick G
26-10-2012, 08:16 PM
So...an existing PC can be loaded with W8 but needs a new monitor.

Windows 8 does work just fine without a touchscreen, its perfectly usable using only a mouse and keyboard. Not really worth an upgrade though unless you do have a touhscreen monitor though in my opinion.

wainuitech
26-10-2012, 08:23 PM
Don't touch screens get dirty sticky fingermarks all over them ???? More than likely, but remember they are "glass" screens, so much easier to clean.

b....
26-10-2012, 08:42 PM
PC's with touch screens. That must be why I'm always having to clean grubby kids finger prints off the monitor and tv.

The Error Guy
26-10-2012, 10:15 PM
Win8 is fantastic with a touchscreen however my experience has been entirely positive without one. I don't think there is a need for it, especially on a desktop. If you get the opportunity to get a touch based desktop at a limited cost then i'd go for it but I wouldn't shell out heaps for a touch based system just because. On tablets or laptops like the surface the touch screen makes a much bigger impact on the user, since it's a tablet format using the touch controls becomes much more natural and feels better. Having the surface cover/keyboard means that using it to type/input info is very effortless.

So IMO, on a desktop a touchscreen is a nice accessory but not essential to the W8 experience and on a tablet it's freaking awesome. That's the great interchangeability of W8, It feels great on all fronts, mobile and desktop. For anyone studying i'd look at the Windows RT version of Surface, comes with office pre installed. If I get a new portable for university. Although I want one it's unlikely since I'm doing design, tables aren't good for that, better for lectures encountered by psychology/law/chem etc students.

linw
26-10-2012, 10:19 PM
Agree. Touch not needed but would be nice. If I got one on a desktop I think I would like one that can swing out horizontal. You can't hold your arms out for long!