PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP pro/MS Dos

curly
26-10-2012, 11:19 AM
I have and older laptop running Win XP pro. As a test, I tried to install MS Dos
however I was informed that it was already installed.

Tried allsorts but nothing happened. Been a very long time since I used DOS
but how do I open it while running XP. Guess there is a commaand that I must
use ?

CYaBro
26-10-2012, 11:33 AM
Open up the Run box from the Start menu and type in cmd then click OK :D

pctek
26-10-2012, 12:40 PM
You can't install DOS from Windows. You would have to install DOS (from floppies) first on the hard drive, then install XP as a second O/S, then it becomes a dual boot system.
If you just want to use DOS for old game or something, then use DOSBox.

Anything else, just use your command line.

curly
26-10-2012, 12:56 PM
It all came flooding back, cmd, of course.
Probably need to find a DOS manual, will search online.
But thanks.

Agent_24
26-10-2012, 01:13 PM
Command prompt in Windows XP is not real DOS.

If you want to run true DOS programs that expect real DOS, install a 2nd HDD and install real DOS onto it.

Or use a Virtual machine

Or DOSBOX (but not everything will work in that)

Terry Porritt
27-10-2012, 01:20 PM
Another way to run MSDOS I mentioned a little while ago, is to make up a DOS bootable ram drive CD, and create a small partition on your hard drive which is formatted with FAT or FAT 32 depending on the partition size. DOS programs and utilities can be put in the DOS partition and run from there. The ram drive recognises the FAT partition as the C:\ drive.

It saves using another hard drive, and the beauty is the DOS partition can be seen from Windows and files and DOS downloads can be moved there from Windows. Another bonus is you also get full screen DOS which isn't available in Win8.

pcuser42
27-10-2012, 01:56 PM
Another bonus is you also get full screen DOS which isn't available in Win8.

But it is in XP ;) although based on my experience DOS programs run like <something bad> on XP :xmouth:

Terry Porritt
27-10-2012, 04:13 PM
But it is in XP ;) although based on my experience DOS programs run like <something bad> on XP :xmouth:
That's why a DOS ram drive method is better than running a DOS program from within XP, and that's right, you can get a full DOS screen running command.com in XP, but you can't in Win8, just saying :thumbs:

pctek
27-10-2012, 07:07 PM
Command prompt in Windows XP is not real DOS.

But useful enough for most things other than running true DOS programs.

mzee
27-10-2012, 08:53 PM
When I first installed XP I found that DOS programs like 'Professional File' and 'Neopaint' ran on it. When I installed the service packs the DOS support ceased, and I had to use 'DOS Box', which I do now on W7.