PDA

View Full Version : upgrading to Windows 8

lostsoul62
26-10-2012, 04:21 AM
I have Windows 7 upgrade, Vista upgrade, XP upgrade, and Windows 2000 full so do I need to load all these OS's to upgrade to Windows 8? That would mean I have to load 5 OS's?

pcuser42
26-10-2012, 08:01 AM
What OS is installed on your computer now?

Question for others: does Windows have to be activated for an upgrade version to accept it?

Bryan
26-10-2012, 08:01 AM
What system are you using at present?

linw
26-10-2012, 08:50 AM
Err, not sure how you would load 5 OS's. You just update what you are running now. Don't try to complicate things even more than they are now!

linw
26-10-2012, 08:52 AM
Good question pcuser.

My question is how the hell are the MS servers going to cope with the downloads?? They're ignoring me at the moment. Wonder which timezone has to click over before it becomes the 26th.

Iantech
26-10-2012, 08:52 AM
Unless you have a touch screen device, why do you want to upgrade to Win 8?

dugimodo
26-10-2012, 08:55 AM
As long as you have a qualifying OS running you can launch the installer, if you want a clean install you can install to a new partition or hard drive and that will give you a boot menu that can be modified later if you decide to remove the old OS, not sure how yet for windows 8 but there will be a way I'm sure. For 7 and earlier there are work arounds for doing a clean install without a previous OS, not sure if they will still work for windows 8.

I haven't done it but I think it goes something like install the OS with no key which makes it a 30 day "trial", then add the key to activate it later. I think there are some other steps as well.

Iantech
26-10-2012, 08:58 AM
What OS is installed on your computer now?

Question for others: does Windows have to be activated for an upgrade version to accept it?No, because its the upgrade you activate after installation. The qualifying product doesnt even have to be installed.

pcuser42
26-10-2012, 09:30 AM
No, because its the upgrade you activate after installation. The qualifying product doesnt even have to be installed.

I know that with Windows 7, as long as Windows XP or Vista was installed when the DVD was booted you could do a clean install with an upgrade and still have it activate just fine - this wouldn't work for a blank hard drive. Hence my question. ;)

Unless you have a touch screen device, why do you want to upgrade to Win 8?

It works well with a mouse and keyboard too, and the new copy dialog and Task Manager alone is worth it ;)

Bobh
26-10-2012, 09:42 AM
What is the story if you want to upgrade from Windows 7 OEM? I have not had much luck using Google to get the answer to this question.

The Error Guy
26-10-2012, 09:54 AM
OEM shouldn't be a problem? I'm going to get an upgrade for my laptop and put it on the 2nd HDD, if everything goes OK (with drivers, software etc) I'll pull everything over to my main HDD.

wainuitech
26-10-2012, 09:54 AM
I haven't done it but I think it goes something like install the OS with no key which makes it a 30 day "trial", then add the key to activate it later. I think there are some other steps as well. You cant install Windows 8 as a trial as it comes. The RTM stops at the "enter product key" There is no option to skip it like previous versions.

BUT there is a way around that ( as you would expect) after doing a bit of googling, you can add in a file to the ISO and that then allows you to install without a product key (as a trial but no idea how long as w8 tries to activate when on the internet) as well as giving you the options of installing either Windows 8 or Windows 8 pro (semi universal DVD like Windows 7 ). BUT of course you will still need a legit product key to activate it.

CYaBro
26-10-2012, 10:02 AM
Also, with Win8, if you don't activate you don't get access to some features so a trial install isn't going to give you the full experience.

wainuitech
26-10-2012, 10:02 AM
What is the story if you want to upgrade from Windows 7 OEM? I have not had much luck using Google to get the answer to this question. If you brought the PC between 2 June 2012 and 31 January 2013 you can get a upgrade for $19.99 http://www.windowsupgradeoffer.com/en-NZ If out of that date range you can pickup an upgrade for around $40.00 http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/bloggingwindows/archive/2012/07/02/upgrade-to-windows-8-pro-for-39-99.aspx other wise you cna also buy it in shops, but that will more than likely cost more than the downloaded version.

Iantech
26-10-2012, 12:58 PM
I know that with Windows 7, as long as Windows XP or Vista was installed when the DVD was booted you could do a clean install with an upgrade and still have it activate just fine - this wouldn't work for a blank hard drive. Hence my question. ;) All you had to do when prompted for a qualifying OS, was to put your XP, etc full version in your DVD drive and it would use that, then you take it back out and put your Win 7 disk back in and it would carry on and install. I was a way of getting a clean install from an upgrade. You're not getting a clean install installing over the top of a previous OS, and if you install onto another partition/drive, then you can have other problems.

It works well with a mouse and keyboard too, and the new copy dialog and Task Manager alone is worth it ;)Yeh, each to their own I guess, I wouldnt upgrade for those reasons :). I might put it on my little ASUS Eee PC, that could be an interesting mission. Might run more friendly than Win 7 does....

wainuitech
26-10-2012, 01:18 PM
Just doing the upgrade on a customers PC right now as writing this, the purchase of the Upgrade for $19.99 went smooth as silk, took about 5 minutes to download the file, ( guess the rest of the world hasn't woken up yet ) lol

linw
26-10-2012, 01:30 PM
Just updated mine with the $49.99 offer. Went very well. Amazed at how it seems to have left all progs/settings as they were! Even some minor progs it said were not compatible seem to run! Maybe it updated them??

Total time, incl download, around 70min plus the checking ordering time.

In case anyone is chary about the new interface, in desktop mode I can't see any difference from my W7 setup.

As an aside, darned if I know how the MS servers keep up. Mine took 17 min on 30Mbps UFB.

linw
26-10-2012, 02:37 PM
Mmmm, perhaps my upgrade wasn't TOTALLY successful. IE won't run - click and nothing happens. I am back to using FF so not a biggie but must get it going.

Anyone seen this? Remedy? Obviously, I need to re-install but I want the latest Win 8 version.

pcuser42
26-10-2012, 03:11 PM
Mmmm, perhaps my upgrade wasn't TOTALLY successful. IE won't run - click and nothing happens. I am back to using FF so not a biggie but must get it going.

Anyone seen this? Remedy? Obviously, I need to re-install but I want the latest Win 8 version.

I do know that Metro IE won't be available if it's not the default browser...

CYaBro
26-10-2012, 03:30 PM
In case anyone is having trouble finding the link:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-NZ/windows/buy

Edit: Wait a minute, that link isn't live yet.
Where did you get yours from linw?

Edit: Ok so looks like Chrome won't work with that link as it keeps jumping to the US site, use IE. :D

linw
26-10-2012, 03:53 PM
I'm trying to execute from program files and prog files x86 and no version of exe will do anything.

Just looked at the Event Log and I can see errors for IE. Event ID 1000 (100) with faulting module ntdll.dll. Did some searching but nothing hits me in the eye.

Tried to run IE in safe mode - still no-go.

Just wondering if anyone knows how to re-install IE10?

linw
26-10-2012, 03:54 PM
In case anyone is having trouble finding the link:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-NZ/windows/buy

Edit: Wait a minute, that link isn't live yet.
Where did you get yours from linw?

Edit: Ok so looks like Chrome won't work with that link as it keeps jumping to the US site, use IE. :D

I got caught with that as well! Only IE seems to work.

Speedy Gonzales
26-10-2012, 03:54 PM
Just installed the version you get for $89. Went pretty smoothly. Booted from it killed Win7. Thought I'll install it by itself. To see how it goes. Just installing programs on it now. Btw, there is a MS site, which will send you a key for WMC till 31/1/2012 (it needs to be activated by then). Dont think I'll bother with the Pro Pack, since the only thing you get is the key. And nothing else for $88!

Chilling_Silence
26-10-2012, 04:11 PM
Just tried the upgrade remotely (LogMeIn) from a box I'd built earlier this week to try Win8 out on. Turns out they just ask you and presume you're honest and truthful about when you bought your device, I just got an upgrade for a system for $19.99 :D

...not that I condone piracy of course and I'd never use this key they've just sent through, but I just thought I'd give it a try and see what happened.

Interestingly enough they also do zero checking on the validity of your existing Windows installation. :thumbs:

linw
26-10-2012, 04:19 PM
Ooooh, nice try!!

Looks like they REALLY want us to upgrade. They certainly want to keep up the momentum as a stall now would seriously undermine their long term strategy.

Chilling_Silence
26-10-2012, 04:30 PM
Well I guess that even at the cheap cost it prevents people using hacked up versions and things, and they've seen how a lower upgrade price-point for Apple works and pretty much *everybody* gets it, so I'm figuring they're going for the "low cost, mass adoption" rather than "Here, buy a PC with Vista and keep it running that POS for the next 10 years".

bk T
26-10-2012, 05:44 PM
Just ordered the copy for a mate's PC. After completing the download, I have 3 options:
1, install now
2. Install by creating media
3 Install later from your desktop

Which should I click? We don't to install now but would like to create a DVD for install late.

bk T
26-10-2012, 05:53 PM
OK. Got it sorted. Selected 2. Install by creating media - creates the ISO file. :)

Chilling_Silence
26-10-2012, 06:02 PM
Aaaaah cool, I stopped it before I could go that far, I wonder if that means I can resume where I left off later?

bk T
26-10-2012, 06:09 PM
Just received a phone call from a friend who just bought a HP laptop yesterday and would like to take advantage of this Promo for $19. but he wants it in another Language (Chinese) can it be done from NZ?

chiefnz
26-10-2012, 06:40 PM
Upgraded my Windows 7 Pro install with Windows 8 Enterprise ever since it went RTM. I had my reservations at 1st but after nearly 3 months it is one of the best pieces of software MS have released. I had some application compatibility issues but just about all of them have been resolved via updates from the vendors or I have found alternatives.

Windows 8 loads much faster than any OS I used (including Linux), and once logged in you can practically start doing your thing straight away, no need for background apps or services to finish loading.

I honestly like it... ALOT!!!

Can't wait to get my hands on a touchscreen based computer/tablet etc to see how it performs.

Cheers,

wainuitech
26-10-2012, 07:34 PM
Okay , heres something really Odd.

Just for the hell of it, I got a upgrade version, installed it on a blank drive, didn't ask for any previous version, and the strangest thing - boots directly into the windows desktop, Not the new start menu. Hit the Windows key, and theres the start menu/tiles.

Thought - ok must be a screwup, so wiped the drive clean and did it again - same thing -- Oh well :D

Looks like one of the Windows 7 built late last year will be getting an upgrade ;)

wainuitech
26-10-2012, 07:40 PM
Aaaaah cool, I stopped it before I could go that far, I wonder if that means I can resume where I left off later? Earlier today when doing a customers upgrade, I got to the point of entering in details, and confirming the order (step before the one you posted) had to stop as the phone rang, so I closed it off, later on I went back, and rerun the upgrade file, it jumped to the point it does after checking your PC, then had to fill in the details, name address etc again - then it carried on.

once it was downloaded you could stop, and carry on doing what ever, making a ISO, installing etc.

CYaBro
27-10-2012, 01:11 AM
For those who are wondering where the 'Manage Wireless Networks' option has gone I found this:
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/wifi-profile-manager-windows-8

Not sure why Microsoft decided to remove that feature as it is very handy and I've had some wireless issues that required access to that, which I've now been able to fix using the software in the link.

Chilling_Silence
27-10-2012, 03:14 AM
I thought it did that when the video card / drivers weren't quite up for the task of the new interface?

Yeah I found there was a Desktop icon created after I'd closed the app, that allowed me to automatically re-launch it and it carried on with the download :)

dugimodo
27-10-2012, 08:35 AM
Well I decided to grab it while it's cheap even if I hate it $49.99 isn't too bad. Downloaded it, did the create media option and made an iso, booted of that and installed to a blank partition, now I have 7 & 8 dual booting so I can give it a try without messing anything up.
Initially I'm finding it incredibly frustrating but hopefully that'll end after I get used to it. I'm not really liking hovering the mouse in the top right corner to get the hidden menu - quite tricky with dual monitors as I tend to move the pointer too far - and I think I'll be adding a shutdown shortcut somewhere, great move from microsoft hiding that function away several clicks away and not obvious.

Couple negative points so far;
First I tried to upgrade from within windows (after saving a system image just in case) - it took quite a while, uninstalled several programs, rebooted, crashed, rebooted, reverted back to 7 with no internet access because it had uninstalled the Ethernet driver. so it took half an hour to fail and put me back into a worse situation than when I started. System restore got me back to square one.

Next it says on the media centre page of the website you can get a free upgrade until Jan 2013, so I entered my e-mail and the security code and.... nothing. It says it'll E-mail the key, it doesn't. Tried 3 times from 2 different E-mail addresses. - still nothing. I don't use media centre a lot but I do have a TV tuner installed so I want to get it.

Speedy Gonzales
27-10-2012, 08:59 AM
Has anyone had this prob yet?? (http://www.pcauthority.com.au/News/320816,boxed-copies-of-windows-8-pro-do-not-work-for-clean-installs.aspx). Win8 installs, but you can't activate it. Because the key didnt work for a clean install, only an upgrade. MS must have different covers for different countries. Because that cover doesnt look the same as the one I've got here

jcr1
27-10-2012, 09:13 AM
I upgraded my new Asus Zenbook last night, for the $20 deal. I created media (usb flash drive) and installed from within windows. I had to uninstall MS security essentials and also the Asus bluetooth app, before starting.
It went quite well, although time consuming and my stuff all works.
I miss the start button when I'm in desktop mode and have yet to figure out how to get to all the programs, accessories etc.

Wireless worked straight away and I've got to figure out a replacement for MS Security essentials - there's got to be a win8 version, I guess

Speedy Gonzales
27-10-2012, 09:31 AM
Win8 has got windows defender. I dont think you can install MSE over it

jcr1
27-10-2012, 09:43 AM

A ha! That should do it and also explains why I was prompted to uninstall MSE.

It'll be a bit of a learning curve, probably more getting used to it. But I'll reserve judgment before upgrading my big PC.

Speedy Gonzales
27-10-2012, 09:56 AM
Only thing with defender, is it doesnt appear on right mouse when you select a file (like MSE does). But you'll see it, if you go to start / then press right mouse button / then click on all apps, bottom right. Its in the menu. The end row

Bobh
27-10-2012, 11:10 AM
This is the one I bought from Noel Leeming (http://www.noelleeming.co.nz/shop/computers/computer-software/business-home-software/microsoft-3ur-00006-windows-8-pro-upgrade/prod109106.html).

I do recall getting to the 'Choose what to keep' menu. ie

Keep Windows settings, personal files and apps.
Keep personal files only.
Nothing.

I chose the first one (keep settings).

I have Windows 7 currently on a SSD drive with a capacity of 107 GB with 32.1 Gb free. Windows 8 Pro refuses to install saying that there is insufficient disk space.

I have been having problems installing and uninstalling programmes on Windows 7. Windows update is also refusing to install on Windows 7. I think that I am best to do a clean install so that I get rid of the garbage that is causing problems.

I am busy at the moment backing up data. I might try 'Keep personal files only'.

pcuser42
27-10-2012, 11:17 AM

Windows Defender is MSE ;)

I think I'll be adding a shutdown shortcut somewhere, great move from microsoft hiding that function away several clicks away and not obvious.

The quickest way to shut down is to press the power button ;)

Next it says on the media centre page of the website you can get a free upgrade until Jan 2013, so I entered my e-mail and the security code and.... nothing. It says it'll E-mail the key, it doesn't. Tried 3 times from 2 different E-mail addresses. - still nothing. I don't use media centre a lot but I do have a TV tuner installed so I want to get it.

It does take a while to get through: another thread says there's a big queue on the Microsoft servers. I applied for my key yesterday morning and it didn't come through until 10am today...

Trev
27-10-2012, 11:29 AM
This is the one I bought from Noel Leeming (http://www.noelleeming.co.nz/shop/computers/computer-software/business-home-software/microsoft-3ur-00006-windows-8-pro-upgrade/prod109106.html).

I do recall getting to the 'Choose what to keep' menu. ie

Keep Windows settings, personal files and apps.
Keep personal files only.
Nothing.

I chose the first one (keep settings).

I have Windows 7 currently on a SSD drive with a capacity of 107 GB with 32.1 Gb free. Windows 8 Pro refuses to install saying that there is insufficient disk space.

I have been having problems installing and uninstalling programmes on Windows 7. Windows update is also refusing to install on Windows 7. I think that I am best to do a clean install so that I get rid of the garbage that is causing problems.

I am busy at the moment backing up data. I might try 'Keep personal files only'.

You could of downloaded Windows 8 pro for $49-99 NZ.

bk T
27-10-2012, 12:30 PM
Has anyone had this prob yet?? (http://www.pcauthority.com.au/News/320816,boxed-copies-of-windows-8-pro-do-not-work-for-clean-installs.aspx). Win8 installs, but you can't activate it. Because the key didnt work for a clean install, only an upgrade. MS must have different covers for different countries. Because that cover doesnt look the same as the one I've got here

Has anyone here successfully activated it with a clean-install?

pcuser42
27-10-2012, 01:09 PM

Not a retail copy, but my DreamSpark copy activated just fine with a clean install (but I don't think it supports upgrades anyway).

Chilling_Silence
27-10-2012, 03:56 PM
Mine worked, activated itself after I'd been online for a few hours, was fine :)
Clean install on a new SSD even though I had Win7 on the other HDD.

Now to just sign up for the free Media Center thingy key. Might as well make the most of it while I can :D

bk T
27-10-2012, 04:10 PM
Mine worked, activated itself after I'd been online for a few hours, was fine :)
Clean install on a new SSD even though I had Win7 on the other HDD.

Now to just sign up for the free Media Center thingy key. Might as well make the most of it while I can :D

That's encouranging! Sure, sign up for the free Media Center. What have you got to lose? LOL

chiefnz
27-10-2012, 04:50 PM

Yes I have, no problems at all.

bk T
27-10-2012, 05:38 PM
chiefnz, is your Win8 retail or upgrade ver?

jcr1
27-10-2012, 07:03 PM
Only thing with defender, is it doesnt appear on right mouse when you select a file (like MSE does). But you'll see it, if you go to start / then press right mouse button / then click on all apps, bottom right. Its in the menu. The end row
Yup. There it is alright. Thanks speedy.

jcr1
27-10-2012, 07:17 PM
I miss the start button when I'm in desktop mode and have yet to figure out how to get to all the programs, accessories etc.

Figured this out. If I put cursor in top right and go to search, and they're all there. Good.
I don't know if 8 is better than 7, but it's new and glitzy. I like that.

Speedy Gonzales
27-10-2012, 07:19 PM
No probs, install a something like start8, pokki, or classicshell to get a start menu

Chilling_Silence
27-10-2012, 07:54 PM
Yeah same for Windows Key + W

I'm gonna upgrade my main desktop tonight, doing an in-place upgrade rather than a fresh install. Wish me luck :p

jcr1
27-10-2012, 08:16 PM
Yeah same for Windows Key + W

I'm gonna upgrade my main desktop tonight, doing an in-place upgrade rather than a fresh install. Wish me luck :p

Thats a useful one. Good luck with your in-place install.

pcuser42
27-10-2012, 08:24 PM
Figured this out. If I put cursor in top right and go to search, and they're all there. Good.

Also right-click the Start screen and click All apps :)

Windows+W searches settings btw.

jcr1
27-10-2012, 08:52 PM
Also right-click the Start screen and click All apps :)

Windows+W searches settings btw.
Excellent. Thanks. I'm feeling better 'n better about this all the time.

Agent_24
27-10-2012, 09:13 PM
I downloaded and installed the 90-day trial on another drive...

On a machine that has an SiS 900 Ethernet NIC, Windows 8 didn't have the drivers but after using a USB WiFi adapter I downloaded the Ethernet drivers from Windows update. A bit silly!

Can't say I think much of it, it's just basically Windows 7 with added crap. Windows 7 is better, XP even more so.

bk T
27-10-2012, 09:21 PM

On a machine that has an SiS 900 Ethernet NIC, Windows 8 didn't have the drivers but after using a USB WiFi adapter I downloaded the Ethernet drivers from Windows update. A bit silly!

Can't say I think much of it, it's just basically Windows 7 with added crap. Windows 7 is better,...

+1 I like it.

wainuitech
27-10-2012, 11:07 PM
Linw -- A long shot - just something to try with your IE - press the Windows + R key, type in iexplore -extoff Press Enter, Does it open ?

If you wanted to uninstall, then re-install IE10: go into the control panel / Programs and features/ Turn Windows features on or off, untick IE10, Click OK, restart the PC, go back and tick it again to re-install it.

linw
27-10-2012, 11:19 PM
I tried this yesterday, WT. Made no difference. There is something wrong around ntdll.dll but I just can't get any handle on what to try to fix it. One of the problems, of course, is that we are the pioneers with arrows in the back!! There just isn't the body of knowledge about obscure things out there.

I tried disabling IE and re-enabling it. Got a bit scary but in the end it came back to life but still no change to the IE situation. While I have a usable browser, there is an underlying problem here that needs fixing but can't find any ref to win 8 and this problem. OTOH, there are quite a few problems relating to ntdll.dll going back some years.

I'll keep trying and one day a fix will be found (I hope!).

Thanks for suggestion.

linw
27-10-2012, 11:20 PM
Got WMC added in - seems to work OK at first glance.

CYaBro
27-10-2012, 11:39 PM
Windows Key + X is very useful.

linw
28-10-2012, 08:05 AM
Agreed.

That windows key has largely been overlooked by me but I think I will take make more use of in the future.

linw
28-10-2012, 10:11 AM
The ntdll.dll error I get has a stop code of 5 which is supposed to be an access denied error. Which is great to know except I can't be sure what is being denied (might be the dll but it could be a registry entry, or something else being called, or???).

The system32 files are only accessible by 'Trusted Installers' and I can't see how to change the rights as an experiment. But if rights were an issue in system32, heaps of other things wouldn't work, either.

chiefnz
28-10-2012, 02:54 PM
chiefnz, is your Win8 retail or upgrade ver?

It's from MSDN, so I am not too sure really, I would assume it would be considered "retail" as it isn't an upgrade disc as such?

linw
29-10-2012, 10:48 AM
At last, found a forum thread with others with the same IE problem as me (nice to know you have company!).

It is caused by the Logitech Webcam software. Uninstalled that and, bingo, problem went away.

bk T
29-10-2012, 11:32 AM
Just re-installed (on test machine) the upgrade Win8 from the same DVD, this time Win8 doesn't load to the Desktop but to the Start screen or metro. In my previous install, it loads to the Desktop screen. Is there anything that I've done incorrectly, or this Win 8 is so erractic? Don't remember I did anything different from my 1st installation.

Or how do I get it to load to the Desktop?

Chilling_Silence
29-10-2012, 11:43 AM
Would have been drivers. AFAIK you've gotta have semi-decent driver support in order to show the new Metro (Or whatever they wanna call it) interface. Turns out there's now drivers bundled for whatever video card you have that are making it work correctly ;)

You can then just click on the 'desktop' button down the bottom-left hand side of the Start Screen.

bk T
29-10-2012, 11:48 AM
It's the same PC with everything exactly the same - no hardware changes.

bk T
29-10-2012, 12:28 PM
Okay , heres something really Odd.

Just for the hell of it, I got a upgrade version, installed it on a blank drive, didn't ask for any previous version, and the strangest thing - boots directly into the windows desktop, Not the new start menu. Hit the Windows key, and theres the start menu/tiles.

Thought - ok must be a screwup, so wiped the drive clean and did it again - same thing -- Oh well :D

Looks like one of the Windows 7 built late last year will be getting an upgrade ;)

My first attempt was same as yours - boots directly into Windows Desktop, second and third attemp were different - it boots to the START menu.

I wiped the drive and did a clean install but it goes to the Desktop! -- funny windows 8

Zara Baxter
29-10-2012, 12:35 PM
Could those of you that get the boot direct into desktop possible post some specs? It'd be interesting to see if there's anything in common.

bk T
29-10-2012, 12:51 PM
As I mentioned earlier, I was using the same PC, same install DVD, 1st time it booted to the Desktop and after that it boots to the START menu. I also tried to install from a USB pendrive and it boots to the START menu, too.

It's an erractic piece of OS.

Chilling_Silence
29-10-2012, 01:00 PM
Any chance you can grab Speccy for us, post your hardware results?

My money says first time you booted up it downloaded an updated graphics driver or similar.

Agent_24
29-10-2012, 01:10 PM
I tried the RTM Trial on a LGA775 Celeron 2.8Ghz with 1GB RAM, Integrated SiS 661GX Video (Generic Microsoft drivers) and it gave me Metro as default. A little laggy, but it worked.

Zara Baxter
29-10-2012, 01:11 PM
Any chance you can grab Speccy for us, post your hardware results?

My money says first time you booted up it downloaded an updated graphics driver or similar.

Exactly. This is why the spec matters :-)

bk T
29-10-2012, 01:12 PM
It's not even connected to the Internet! As it doesn't belong to me, i didn't want to activate it - just want to test it. The Ethernet cable is not even connected.

MB: GA-EP45-DQ6 ver 1
CUP: Q9550 @2.83 GHz
RAM: 4 GB
Video: GeForec 8600 GT (quite an old card)

Zara Baxter
29-10-2012, 01:14 PM
Thanks bk T!

Speedy Gonzales
29-10-2012, 01:17 PM
It looks like people have been having probs installing Win8 on dual / switchable gfx systems too. On some, Win8 will load, and you have to switch it to one gfx card for it to work. Others, only get so far after installing Win8, it never gets to the desktop

Myself: I enabled the lock screen (in Group policy, so it wont come up). And disabled the login screen. And typed my password in. To save me typing it in, every time I rebooted. Then installed Classicshell. So it kills the metro. So, it goes straight to the desktop every time I boot / restart

bk T
29-10-2012, 01:33 PM
The interesting part is:

Why it booted to the Desktop when I first installed it (and Wainutech did it 2 times) but my 2nd, 3rd, and 4th attemps all booted to the START screen?

What about others who have installed Win 8, does it boot to the Desktop or the START screen?

Zara Baxter
29-10-2012, 01:34 PM
Mine booted straight to Start menu. The latter attempts working for you may have been, as Chill suggests, because Windows found and installed a driver in-between the first "whoops!" and the second correct boot.

bk T
29-10-2012, 01:49 PM
I failed to understand to logic.

It's the same hardware, same install media, same people who installed it (that's me). :D

If I was the only person who experienced this, then, it maybe that I did something not quite right; but wainutech did it two times produced the same similar results as my first attempt.

wainuitech
29-10-2012, 03:46 PM
Think I found teh problem with Windows 8 not booting into the start menu.

Done a couple of tests -- if it doesn't activate right away like its meant to, eg, connect to the internet, it boots straight to the Desktop.

Every time its boot directly to desktop, its not activated, and you cant manually enter the product key - it says invalid.

Nothing to do with hardware specs.

Chilling_Silence
29-10-2012, 04:42 PM
^^ Winner! :)

Jolly good stuff, glad to know that.
However I'm *certain* when I put the key in mine it didn't have connectivity because I had to go and run a LAN cable so it could get the drivers for my TP-Link N-Wireless card from Windows Update, but yet it booted to the Start Screen first time just fine??

wainuitech
29-10-2012, 05:53 PM
The one that I was testing was purchased as the promotional upgrade $19.99. must admit it wasn't being installed on the same PC, mainly because while "playing about" :rolleyes: I managed to totally screw Windows 7 ( as ya do) :D.

The windows 7 is a OEM that was brought built late last year. So its all legit etc, BUT it did pop up with a warning saying it must be installed on the same PC.

Have to reinstall W7, then try the upgrade,as trying to install W8 from fresh it says the key MS sent me isn't correct and wont activate.

If it still doesn't upgrade theres gonna be one short tempered Phone call to MS :xmouth: lol

Chilling_Silence
29-10-2012, 07:08 PM
Odd. I did that but it worked fine taking the key for a "clean" install booting from the CD that I'd made when setting up my spare PC.

linw
29-10-2012, 07:46 PM
Tried to use the same WMC key as I had used on the first machine on a second machine - don't try that. Needs a new WMC key for each install. It did, however, say the key was correct when I first added it but a few hours later it had changed its mind!

So looks like the add-on key replaces the OS key. So, have to wait a day or so to get the second machine activated with a new WMC key.

bk T
29-10-2012, 08:15 PM
... So its all legit etc, BUT it did pop up with a warning saying it must be installed on the same PC.

Odd. I did that but it worked fine taking the key for a "clean" install booting from the CD that I'd made when setting up my spare PC.

That's why I said Win 8 is erratic. It seems that MS just pushed it out in a hurry, just like Win ME & Vista! :D

Windows 7 was not like this when it was first released.

wainuitech
29-10-2012, 08:51 PM
That's why I said Win 8 is erratic. It seems that MS just pushed it out in a hurry, just like Win ME & Vista! :D

Windows 7 was not like this when it was first released.

Working backwards -- The full versions ( TechNet/MSDN) go in no problems at all. OEM's should go in no problems.

Its the Upgrades that seem to be the erratic versions.

Got it installed, activated, and working perfectly now.

Tried it again, fresh install - went in OK accepted the Key, booted directly into desktop. Wasn't activated, tried to activate manually, says key invalid :mad: Wiped drive - installed original Windows 7 OEM, then put in the Windows 8 upgrade, this time when entering the W8 product key, it took a noticeable longer time to check it, carried on did the install, booted into the start menu this time, and had already activated by the time I went into the system properties.

Conclusion: Seems some upgrades can be put in fresh, no worries, others cant. :waughh:

I think the keys that are issued are different between the more expensive upgrade version and the promo upgrade from a current OEM brought within the June - January period.

Footnote: (More like boot in the arse) "IF" when you go to do an upgrade over W7 and get a message saying not enough space on system partition, Its actually the hidden partition Windows 7 creates when installing. Windows 8 writes its own "guff" in there as well.

You need to get some partitioning software and increase the size of the hidden partition, THEN W8 will install. I expanded mine out to 1GB, then shrunk it back to 300MB afterwards. ( original was only 100MB.)

bk T
29-10-2012, 09:21 PM
Its the Upgrades that seem to be the erratic versions.

Got it installed, activated, and working perfectly now.

... Wiped drive - installed original Windows 7 OEM, then put in the Windows 8 upgrade, this time when entering the W8 product key, it took a noticeable longer time to check it, carried on did the install, booted into the start menu this time, and had already activated by the time I went into the system properties.

Conclusion: Seems some upgrades can be put in fresh, no worries, others cant. :waughh:

1. Did you install the upgrade from within Windows 7 or did a clean install booting from the DVD?

2. When you reinstalled the original W7 OEM, did you activate it before loading W8?

3. Did you wipe the whole HDD or just C:\ and left the system reserve partition untouched?

4. I did remember that MS said that we can use the upgrade version to install on other machines.

wainuitech
29-10-2012, 09:38 PM
1. From Within Windows worked as it should, fresh install booting from DVD didn't
2.Yes activated it
3. Wiped drive completely, all partitions
4. Maybe, but as I mentioned "I think the keys that are issued are different between the more expensive upgrade version and the promo upgrade from a current OEM brought within the June - January period".

Only a theory, but there is something, as it wouldn't work fully on a fresh install, but worked fine upgrading W7-W8

The customers one I did the other day was the cheaper purchase ($19.99), and that was over the top of W7. Had to remove the Windows.old folder when finished after checking things worked OK.

bk T
29-10-2012, 10:02 PM
When upgrading from within Windows 7, how did you do it? Just insert the DVD and run the setup.exe?

Actually, I prefer that it boots to the Desktop rather than the START menu.

Haven't got my own copy the upgrade therefore I can't try the Activation part.

From wainutech's experience, am I right to say that, if it boots to the Desktop, it CANNOT complete the Activation?

It would be nice if those who have done the upgrade and activated their copy of Win8 could share their experiences with this forum. :)

Chilling_Sillence: Is your copy of Upgrade the cheaper ver, i.e. $19.99 or the more expensive ver? :D

wainuitech
29-10-2012, 10:48 PM
Has to boot from desktop for an upgrade, you have no option.

If you try to boot from the DVD and try the upgrade it tells you to reboot and run the PC normally.

Since you are upgrading from a previous version, its on the desktop anyway :)

CYaBro
30-10-2012, 12:51 AM
I did a quick test today using an old pc with an xp pro license sticker.
I installed win 7 without entering a product key at all and so it wasn't even activated.
I then went through the win8 upgrade advisor and bought the cheap $20 win8 pro.
It downloaded whatever and then I told it to create a bootable USB stick.
I then booted off this, selected custom install and not upgrade and completely deleted all partitions on the hdd during the install.
It then installed and activated fine.
Then just as another test I booted off the USB key again and followed the same install process and again it installed and activated fine and both installs started up to the new start menu.

So what does this tell you?
MS aren't doing any validation that you are in fact upgrading a machine that was bought recently, to qualify for the cheaper $19.99 upgrade, and they also don't check that you are in fact running a legal copy of windows in the first place.
Looks like they want to get as many people as possible onto win8.

Don't worry I will be using this cheaper upgrade I bought on a qualifying machine tomorrow. :D

wainuitech
30-10-2012, 08:12 AM
CYaBro -- Just curious, when you first boot from the DVD or USB, when you get to the 1st screen that you select the region, Location etc what is the default Language ( Top option - cant change it) ?

bk T
30-10-2012, 08:35 AM
There must be some bugs in Win8 as regards to this initial start up (Desktop & Start menu) and activation issues.

wainuitech
30-10-2012, 08:59 AM
Seems so BK It appears that when installing the key is accepted, BUT for some reason when it goes to activate it wont, as its read as invalid.

So I spose the question is why is it reading as invalid on a fresh install, yet not on an upgrade from W7 as its meant to ? (this is how its meant to be installed) Yet others have installed from fresh fine ?

bk T
30-10-2012, 09:28 AM
Quote from the FAQ re this upgrade:
"
Do I have to install the Windows 8 upgrade on the eligible PC, or can I install it on another PC?
The upgrade offer is tied to a Windows 7 PC purchased between 2 June 2012 and 31 January 2013, but you can choose to redeem the offer and install the upgrade on any compatible Windows-based PC with a qualifying base operating system."

It is quite clear that this upgrade can be installed on any compatible Windows-based PC. - not necessarily on the particular 'eligible' PC.

dugimodo
30-10-2012, 09:51 AM
Has to boot from desktop for an upgrade, you have no option.

If you try to boot from the DVD and try the upgrade it tells you to reboot and run the PC normally.

Since you are upgrading from a previous version, its on the desktop anyway :)

I remember that with an upgrade version of Vista I have. Maybe it's dependant on the key you use because I got the $49.99 upgrade from the MS website, ran the installer from windows, used the "install from media to create an ISO, burnt a disk, booted from it, and installed to a blank partition which gives me a dual boot setup and everything works as expected. I suspect it detected the windows 7 installation during installation and allowed the install to continue. It might be different if there is no OS detected.

Stupid if upgrading from the desktop of a working OS is the only option as that doesn't always work and is not the best way, they should at least allow you to install a fresh copy over top blowing away the old one in the process. I did try upgrading myself and it failed and reverted back to 7. In hinsight I'm glad because 8 is taking some getting used to and I may abandon it yet. My weekend project is to try and migrate all my software to 8 and see if I can adapt, meanwhile I'm booting to 7 by default.

Edit: the Vista upgrade disk was from the special offer available from purchasing XP just before Vista was released and will only install from the desktop, perhaps it's just hose special upgrade versions that behave like that.

CYaBro
30-10-2012, 09:56 AM
CYaBro -- Just curious, when you first boot from the DVD or USB, when you get to the 1st screen that you select the region, Location etc what is the default Language ( Top option - cant change it) ?

It only has English (UK) in the top box but you can select English (New Zealand) in the second box.

Chilling_Silence
30-10-2012, 10:06 AM
So what does this tell you?
MS aren't doing any validation that you are in fact upgrading a machine that was bought recently, to qualify for the cheaper $19.99 upgrade, and they also don't check that you are in fact running a legal copy of windows in the first place.
Looks like they want to get as many people as possible onto win8.
I discovered likewise. As mentioned I even setup a copy of Win7 on my spare PC just for the cause and then used the RemoveWAT tool just to see if it'd care. Nope, the Upgrade Advisor didn't mind in the slightest!

It only has English (UK) in the top box but you can select English (New Zealand) in the second box.
Yeah I found that too. Not sure how much it matters really, but I previously would always select English (NZ) in both boxes when it came to Win7 / WinXP etc....

pcuser42
30-10-2012, 10:14 AM
My copy of Windows 7 only had US English for the top box as well, I'm pretty sure...

CYaBro
30-10-2012, 10:17 AM
I think the first box, that only has English (UK), is just the display language of Windows so here in NZ we don't need any other option.
You can download and install more display languages for English (US), Chinese etc if you want to.

wainuitech
30-10-2012, 02:00 PM
Right O-- :crying I give up as to why this Upgrade wont work correctly from a fresh install like others say it has :waughh:

Tried again this morning, completely different PC, Different hardware and CPU ( this time it was a AMD)

Exact same thing happened - Fresh install didn't work/activate.

Yet after wiping the drive clean again, installing the original W7 HomePre, and running the W8 upgrade, it went perfectly, Windows UI Start menu on boot .

I'm doing Another customers PC later today, they purchased the Upgrade and want it installed. Have to save all their data, and install programs again, as their Vista is not exactly healthy.

Chilling_Silence
30-10-2012, 03:58 PM
Yeah perfect time to clean out all the old "junk" if you ask me, fresh installs the best way :)

Agent_24
30-10-2012, 04:19 PM
Yeah perfect time to clean out all the old "junk" if you ask me, fresh installs the best way :)

Definitely.

linw
30-10-2012, 04:32 PM
Mine (upgrade over W7) boots into the Win UI screen

Bit strange that the Upgd Assistant doesn't highlight Logitech Webcam software as problematical but says MS Office Starter is not supported. The former IS a problem and the latter seems to work just fine!

bk T
30-10-2012, 04:41 PM
My conclusion:

MS just pushed out Windows 8 when they are not actually READY.

For what reason, don't ask me!

wainuitech
30-10-2012, 05:01 PM
This is fun -- Damn HP, got a customers all in one Brought only a few days ago, upgrading as I write, the long list of this isn't compatible, thats not compatible, bla bla bla Need to uninstall this that and the other :waughh:

Chilling_Silence
30-10-2012, 05:10 PM
Yeah bugger the list, just do a clean install :p

wainuitech
30-10-2012, 05:26 PM
OK first Problem -AMD Graphic drivers not compatible - Bluetooth disabled, Bing not compatible ( thought that would have upgrade automatically) No great lose, uninstall that.

Dumb de dumb de do :D

pcuser42
30-10-2012, 05:30 PM
I'd just image the PC, reinstall from scratch then copy back the data :D

nmercer
30-10-2012, 06:07 PM
My conclusion:

MS just pushed out Windows 8 when they are not actually READY.

For what reason, don't ask me!

Windows 8 is the most ender user thing of anything ever

1.2 billion hours of user testing in the real world

bk T
30-10-2012, 06:24 PM
I'm only interested in the final line.

QW.
30-10-2012, 06:41 PM
Is it possible to do a clean install of Windows 8 instead of an upgrade?

wainuitech
30-10-2012, 07:00 PM
Some can, but some cant - I got a upgrade and it wont install as fresh, but others have had no problems at all.

plod
30-10-2012, 07:09 PM
Some can, but some cant - I got a upgrade and it wont install as fresh, but others have had no problems at all.not sure if you have seen this.
http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows8/clean-install-windows-8-upgrade-media-144648

Speedy Gonzales
30-10-2012, 07:23 PM
Is it possible to do a clean install of Windows 8 instead of an upgrade?

Yup the version of Win8 I brought from Dick Smith let me do a clean install. So, I wiped Win7 off the hdd and installed Win8. No prob at all. Probably better in case something isnt compatible. I came across a post the other day in MS Answers. Where a guy upgraded from Win7, but forgot to uninstall MSE. And once Win8 was installed, he couldnt uninstall it. So, he may have to start again.

wainuitech
30-10-2012, 07:48 PM
not sure if you have seen this.
http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows8/clean-install-windows-8-upgrade-media-144648 Yep saw that, BUT I've tried it at least 6 times now, and it simply WONT install correctly from fresh. The only way is to do it as a upgrade from within a working OS.

For some reason a fresh install DOESN"T accept the product key to activate it.

Not saying it cant be done, because others say they have done it.

In fact just got off the phone before dinner from a person who called me and is having the same problem.

They got a Upgrade for their Vista, Vista was corrupted and slow as ,they wiped their drive after saving the data, and the upgrade refused to install the same way mine is.

NOTE: just came across an article that may have found the cure for the problem - I'll try the reg hack and see if it works. ( wish me luck) LOL :D

bk T
30-10-2012, 08:24 PM
I wish you the best of luck, wainu.

I good piece of OS software shouldn't be expecting an end user to a reg hack, even if it works! :D

wainuitech
30-10-2012, 08:36 PM
:banana :clap it worked, boots into the windows start screen, and its activated.

To bad it was only a test as the real install was done via the upgrade method. :)

An old trick I completely forgot about when installing Windows 7 with upgrade media, change a 1 to 0. Dhurrhhhh.

Thought I was losing the plot ( SWMBO said I lost that years ago) - but seems others are having the same problem.

The article Describes the problem and the fix (http://www.ghacks.net/2012/10/27/windows-8-upgrade-clean-install-possible/) One to keep "in case I need it one day" article.

linw
30-10-2012, 09:42 PM
That's a great article, WT. I also remember this rearm trick from an earlier time. Used it once myself but can't now remember why!!

I also ran into the need to uninstall HP bluetooth wireless on my netbook.

bk T
30-10-2012, 09:47 PM
Thanks, wainu for sharing.

CYaBro
30-10-2012, 09:52 PM
Well done! :D
Will make a note as well in case as I'm sure we will come across this issue too.

linw
31-10-2012, 09:19 AM
Tried to use the same WMC key as I had used on the first machine on a second machine - don't try that. Needs a new WMC key for each install. It did, however, say the key was correct when I first added it but a few hours later it had changed its mind!

So looks like the add-on key replaces the OS key. So, have to wait a day or so to get the second machine activated with a new WMC key.

Now this netbook is truly stuffed as I can't activate it. I duly received the second WMC key and guess what? It has the same prod key as the first WMC key I got a few days ago. Are we only allowed one free WMC upgrade??

I removed WMC thinking it, at least, might revert to the original key. But, no luck. It is still stuck on the same key as my main PC (the WMC key). It won't activate with the original key and I haven't got a separate WMC key.

I'll revert to the W7 image while I think about it!

pcuser42
31-10-2012, 09:21 AM
There's a limit of one key per email address. Lucky I had my uni email account as well :D

linw
31-10-2012, 09:43 AM
Really? Thanks for that info, pcuser. Wonder why they don't tell you?

Now for another few days wait!

dugimodo
31-10-2012, 09:43 AM
Thinking it wasn't working I tried to get the key 3 times, twice with the same xtra E-mail and once with my Gmail account. A day later I received 1 key from the first attempt, nothing came through from either of the other attempts. I have 3 E-mail accounts, probably 4 as I think there's a windows live account somewhere from my Xbox days.

Chilling_Silence
31-10-2012, 09:47 AM
Thanks for the heads up. I've just ordered it for my main PC, but I used the same email address as I used for my spare gaming PC, so I'll see what it comes through as.
I *did* successfully order the upgrade for both the PCs using my same email address, so it'll be interesting to see if they send me through the same WMC key.

If not, worst-case scenario I'll setup a new alias for my account (I think Gapps call it a "nickname"?) and have it sent there, then just kill off the nickname after it's arrived :p

EDIT: Yeah I noticed it took a while too, just shy of 24 hours the first time around. I thought that was odd coz everything else throughout the whole process was surprisingly snappy and prompt.

dugimodo
31-10-2012, 10:45 AM
I just had another look, I have 2 keys one in each E-mail account. I'll have to record the extra one somewhere in case I need it one day.

pcuser42
31-10-2012, 11:17 AM
Really? Thanks for that info, pcuser. Wonder why they don't tell you?

But they do tell you :stare:

wainuitech
31-10-2012, 11:18 AM
I just had another look, I have 2 keys one in each E-mail account. I'll have to record the extra one somewhere in case I need it one day. As long as the One day is before January 31, 2013. After that date it wont work, read the small print on the bottom of the email - or the Bigger print on line. (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/terms-conditions-feature-packs)

CYaBro
31-10-2012, 01:03 PM
Looks like MS have fixed the loophole that allowed anyone to get the $19.99 Win8 Pro upgrade. :)
If you try now it asks for your Windows 7 key.

wainuitech
31-10-2012, 01:15 PM
Ewwww, thought it wouldn't last to long.

Wonder how much I can sell the extra keys I brought @ $19.99

ONLY KIDDING :D

bk T
31-10-2012, 02:04 PM
Looks like MS have fixed the loophole that allowed anyone to get the $19.99 Win8 Pro upgrade. :)
If you try now it asks for your Windows 7 key.

That's 'efficient' . :D

Renegade
31-10-2012, 04:44 PM
Before I wade through a million posts, and this is probably REALLY obvious but I'm not seeing it.... Where are the contacts in the email app?

<edit> Found it in the People app... <sigh>

Agent_24
31-10-2012, 05:52 PM
It says a lot for Microsoft's attitude that during the preview phase they worked hard to try and break the 3rd party start menu replacement programs.

The customer wants to do what he wants with the product? Oh, OK - let's break that functionality. I'm sure he'll REALLY want to pay money for it then!

:waughh:

wainuitech
31-10-2012, 06:14 PM
Microsoft are not looking totally at yesterday and NOW but tomorrow, the future as well.

They design things to carry on and change over a period of time. Could be This time in 5 years -- the start button -- Whats that ???

Think back 15 - 20 years ago, if someone said we would have a (insert all the devices we have now, tablets, smart phones, touch devices) you'd be laughed at as science fiction.

Agent_24
31-10-2012, 07:39 PM
Regardless, actively going out of your way to stop people doing what they want with something they will potentially buy is a bit weird.

If they want to use a 3rd party start button, so what? It won't change anything else except their own personal usage of the software.

Renegade
31-10-2012, 08:21 PM
Kind of reminds me of this :D

Bobh
31-10-2012, 10:01 PM
It is a long time since I have used Windows 3.1 but it seemed to look familiar.

Agent_24
31-10-2012, 10:24 PM
Kind of reminds me of this :D

You are so right, no start menu there either... it's come full circle...

Which begs the question, why use Windows 8 when Windows 3.1 has no start menu either and runs a hell of a lot faster? :devil

pcuser42
31-10-2012, 10:44 PM
Which begs the question, why use Windows 8 when Windows 3.1 has no start menu either and runs a hell of a lot faster? :devil Because Windows 8 supports USB, hard drives bigger than 2GB, multi-core processors, and any other hardware we use in 2012. :p

bk T
01-11-2012, 10:02 AM
OK. I got my own Win8 upgrade and my brand new OCZ vertex4 SSD.

Unplugged my Win 7 OS HDD (Seagate 500GB) and my data HDD Seagate 1TB just to avoid Win8 may mess up my data.

Booted from the Upgrade DVD, installed Win8, all seems OK but it booted to the Desktop and couldn't Activate Windows saying that it's an invalid key.

Re-installed Win8, wiped the HDD, installed as usual, went through smoothly, booted to the Start menu and Activated! -- that's great!

Shut down the PC, connected my Data HDD - BIOS detected - OK. BUT .....

Win 8 windows explorer doesn't show my Data HDD - Device Manager doesn't show it, too.

Could someone please enlighten me. Thanks.

pcuser42
01-11-2012, 10:16 AM
It's possible that a cable may have come loose, I'd check this first. ;)

bk T
01-11-2012, 10:24 AM
Checked cable, swapped cables, done all that.

Went in BIOS setup, Advance - checked disk drives, - all there.

Save settings and exit.

Still no joy.

bk T
01-11-2012, 10:34 AM
Re-started the PC (about 2 times) fixed the problem.

Another issue:

I've created 2 user accounts. How do I log OFF and log onto the other user account?

Chilling_Silence
01-11-2012, 10:48 AM
Move your mouse to the right-hand side, it's somewhere under there. I disabled that menu though coz it was pissing me off in games :p

bk T
01-11-2012, 10:58 AM
Can't see anything there.

One more problem: Cannot install my Hauppauge WinTV7 software, it requires .NetFramwork 2 but not able to install.

wainuitech
01-11-2012, 11:05 AM
To remove the scond account --

On the normal desktop, press the WinKey + F4 the logon/shut down box will appear, select sign out - next log into the account you want to keep.

Two ways Winkey+I , control panel is selected, open it or longer way - Move the mouse to the top or bottom right of the screen, the charms menu appears, select Setting ( looks like a cog) then select Control Panel from the top of the list, this opens the standard Windows 7 Control panel, select user accounts, Manage another account - select the account you want to remove - Delete account. Done :)

pcuser42
01-11-2012, 11:18 AM

On the normal desktop, press the WinKey + F4 the logon/shut down box will appear, select sign out - next log into the account you want to keep.

Two ways Winkey+I , control panel is selected, open it or longer way - Move the mouse to the top or bottom right of the screen, the charms menu appears, select Setting ( looks like a cog) then select Control Panel from the top of the list, this opens the standard Windows 7 Control panel, select user accounts, Manage another account - select the account you want to remove - Delete account. Done :)

Or a quicker way to open the Control Panel: right-click the lower left corner of the screen (where the Start button used to be), and select Control Panel from there.

bk T
01-11-2012, 11:23 AM

WinKey +F4 doesn't work. Alt + F4 brings up the logon/shut down box.

wainuitech
01-11-2012, 11:36 AM
WinKey +F4 doesn't work. Alt + F4 brings up the logon/shut down box. oops, my mistake, to many winkey commands :) I just do it from habit, either hitting the win or alt key.

The Win +I does take you directly to the control Panel option on the charms menu. Theres several ways of getting to the same place.

bk T
01-11-2012, 11:52 AM
Any solution to my Hauppauge WinTV7 problem?

I seems to have endless problems with Win8. When upgrading to Win 7, I didn't seem to have so much issues.

Expecting more to come. sigh!

Speedy Gonzales
01-11-2012, 12:04 PM
If the tuner doesnt work, see if there's Win8 drivers on the site. It may not be compatible. If its not working. What's the model?

bk T
01-11-2012, 12:09 PM
Hauppauge WinTV HVR-900.

Driver loads fine, it's WinTV7 that failed to install which requires .NetFramework 2.0 but it Win 8 doesn't allow it to install.

Media Center works fine. But I prefer to use WinTV7, which provides better colour.

Speedy Gonzales
01-11-2012, 12:13 PM
Win7 AFAIK would have net framework 2 on it. Its only XP, that would need it and 1.1. So, how exactly did you install Win8 in the end?? If you didnt do a clean install?

wainuitech
01-11-2012, 12:38 PM
Try this, go into the control panel, Programs and Features, on the top left click on Turn Windows features on or off put a tick in the box .NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0) click OK etc. ( by default is not enabled/installed)

You may need to reboot, .netframework 2 should now be installed.

bk T
01-11-2012, 02:27 PM
OK. Leave this WinTV7 for the time being, temporarily use Media Center.

Now, I just discovered that typed my user name wrongly when installing Win 8. I've changed my user name from Control Panel -> User Accounts, but when I checked from My Computer, c:\Users\ ... it still shows the wrongly spelt name.

Is there a way to correct it, or I've to re-install Win 8?

pcuser42
01-11-2012, 02:32 PM
OK. Leave this WinTV7 for the time being, temporarily use Media Center.

Now, I just discovered that typed my user name wrongly when installing Win 8. I've changed my user name from Control Panel -> User Accounts, but when I checked from My Computer, c:\Users\ ... it still shows the wrongly spelt name.

Is there a way to correct it, or I've to re-install Win 8?

You need to reinstall Windows (or at least create a new account), though as far as I know it every version since Windows 2000 is like this.

bk T
01-11-2012, 02:36 PM
Oh, dear! Not even a registry hack????

pcuser42
01-11-2012, 02:44 PM
Oh, dear! Not even a registry hack????

There'd be a lot of registry entries to change...

dugimodo
01-11-2012, 03:17 PM
Wouldn't creating a new account and deleting the old one do the trick? I realise the contents of my documents etc would have to be transferred manually but everything else should work yeah ?

wainuitech
01-11-2012, 03:39 PM
Deleting the Account, and making a new One would remove some of the mis-spelt account details, but there will be many still in the registry. ( which is what pcuser42 mentioned)

Chilling_Silence
01-11-2012, 05:12 PM
Try this, works most of the time:
http://www.c2s.co.nz/blog/migrating-a-windows-user-profile-directory/

So create a new admin user, login as them, rename the directory and make the changes in the registry, then log back in as the other user. Success!

bk T
01-11-2012, 05:56 PM
I think I better re-install as I got my new SSD and new OS, better to have a clean system.

Do you think it is safe to leave my data hdd to do the installation or it's better to disconnect it?

Agent_24
01-11-2012, 05:59 PM
I think I better re-install as I got my new SSD and new OS, better to have a clean system.

Do you think it is safe to leave my data hdd to do the installation or it's better to disconnect it?

It's 99% safe but I would disconnect just to be sure.

Also you avoid the possibility where Windows setup decides to add the boot support folder etc onto your drive just for fun. With only one drive connected it only has one choice!

bk T
01-11-2012, 09:11 PM
Re-installed, everything went smoothly, so far so good.

bk T
01-11-2012, 09:48 PM
What is the easiest way to take ownership of folders/files in Win8?

I've installed the 'take ownership' utility but everytime when I copy a file to my Data HDD folder, a window pops up : "You'll need administrator permission to copy to this folder. Continue - Skip - Cancel".

Click Continue will complete the copying. It's annoying.

wainuitech
01-11-2012, 10:12 PM
Haven't actually tried the following, but the site is generally useful and instructions are accurate: take-ownership-file-folder-drive-registry-key-windows-8 (http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2808-take-ownership-file-folder-drive-registry-key-windows-8-a.html)

bk T
01-11-2012, 10:44 PM
Thanks wainu. That's helpfull.

one very basic question: how to create a new folder? I got to click Home -> new folder.

In win 7, the New Folder button is there, just 1 click. is there any short-cut key?

wainuitech
01-11-2012, 10:52 PM
Its the same in W8, I use right click/New/Folder.

The shortcut keys are Ctrl + Shift+ N – Create New Folder in Current Directory

Some more that may be helpful :30-new-hotkeys-for-windows-8 (http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/30-new-hotkeys-for-windows-8/)

Personally, since using Windows 8 I've been using shortcuts keys more and more.

bk T
01-11-2012, 11:07 PM
Right-click doesn't show any create new folder option. Ctrl +Shift+N works.

Win 8 has hidden quite a lot of functions. Thanks for the shortcut key link.

pcuser42
01-11-2012, 11:08 PM
You can also have the ribbon showing permanently, personally I prefer this.

linw
02-11-2012, 09:53 AM
Right-click doesn't show any create new folder option. Ctrl +Shift+N works.

Win 8 has hidden quite a lot of functions. Thanks for the shortcut key link.
Weird. Rt click looks just the same as W7, here.

linw
02-11-2012, 10:00 AM
Haven't actually tried the following, but the site is generally useful and instructions are accurate: take-ownership-file-folder-drive-registry-key-windows-8 (http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2808-take-ownership-file-folder-drive-registry-key-windows-8-a.html)
Good link, WT. Did the reg change to add to context menu. Might help get rid of pesky folders like windows.old etc. (Yes, I know, disk cleanup will do it!).

bk T
02-11-2012, 10:41 AM
After using W8 for a day or so, I really feel like I'm downgrading from W7! W8 doesn't make things getting easier, or rather it's making life more difficult. The usual one click functions in W7 now requires 2 or more clicks.

Anyway, I'll give myself more time to get use to this new OS, however, for sure, won't recommend to anyone else.

dugimodo
02-11-2012, 11:29 AM
I think the biggest dissapointment for me is that it doesn't play nice with dual screens, apps can't seem to be moved or resized they only run fullscreen on the main monitor or snapped to one edge of it. Something I do often is skype to some friends while gaming and I thought I could use the new skype app, but no it's easier to use the desktop version which I can park on the 2nd screen unlike the app. They have made the new UI and apps very inflexible it seems. On a personal note I think the new UI is rather plain and doesn't look as nice as 7 with aero. The window borders change colour with your wallpaper and tend to pick terrible colours, you can manually overide it but there are not many choices. The appearance of window borders, tiles, and the desktop, while not important feel like a backwards step.

As for the making things more difficult, I agree except you can pin things to the start screen giving them their own tile so after a while you should end up with a set of tiles for all the stuff you use a lot and a single click will launch any of it. I think the new UI could become convenient, but I also think MS have forgotten that some people like to multitask a bit more than one FS app and one snapped to the edge would allow and overlooked the fact that it will mean using the desktop anytime you want to run things on more than one screen. A PC is not a tablet, it needs more flexibilty in my opinion. I can learn to live without a start menu, but I won't use some apps all that much or at all if they can't be resized and moved .

bk T
02-11-2012, 11:29 AM
Win 8 Experts:

Where's MS Office 2010 program group? I want to send this to my desktop.

In Win7 - All Programs - MS Office 2010 is there; I just right-click and select send to desktop (create short cut), that's it.

I am now lost in the desert!

Speedy Gonzales
02-11-2012, 11:35 AM
Go to its folder then select the programs. Pin them to the taskbar

bk T
02-11-2012, 11:39 AM
Problem is, I can't find the MS Office Program group where you have Office, Excel, Outlook, etc.

I can locate the MS Office folder but it has all the files in there, that's not what I'm looking for.

Speedy Gonzales
02-11-2012, 11:43 AM
Install something like classicshell, then you may see them

QW.
02-11-2012, 11:58 AM
Another question, does the upgrade version of Windows 8 need and OS installed or can I use the upgrade version and wipe the OS currently installed?

wainuitech
02-11-2012, 11:59 AM
Creating Desktop Icons --- Theres prob an easier way ( but haven't found it yet) this is how I do it.

Right click on the start screen blank area, bottom right corner, click All Apps - locate the program you want, RIGHT click the Icon, down the bottom, click "Open File location" the folder will open where the shortcut is and its highlighted, right click the shortcut, Send to Desktop/ Create shortcut.

New Icon now on desktop.

Note: if you Left click the Icon in all apps it will open it, you MUST right click it.

Speedy Gonzales
02-11-2012, 12:02 PM
I dont know if the version from DSE was an upgrade or full. Since, all it says on the box is Windows 8 Pro. Doesnt say retail or upgrade. But it installed anyway / when I did a clean install.

linw
02-11-2012, 04:21 PM
At logon, my desktop doesn't show shortcuts till I rt click the desktop. Is it just me?

linw
02-11-2012, 04:40 PM
@dugimodo/bk T. I agree with your all comments above. The full screen apps just seem so inflexible. Not being able to adjust window sizes on a big screen is nuts.

I'm very willing to give this a fair go but I must admit I am now wondering why I am on win 8. I may start in the new UI but when I exit the 'old style' prog, I'm back in the desktop. Then I wonder why I should then go back to the new UI just to repeat the process.

Oh, well, will keep trying!

dugimodo
02-11-2012, 04:42 PM
Creating Desktop Icons --- Theres prob an easier way ( but haven't found it yet) this is how I do it.

Right click on the start screen blank area, bottom right corner, click All Apps - locate the program you want, RIGHT click the Icon, down the bottom, click "Open File location" the folder will open where the shortcut is and its highlighted, right click the shortcut, Send to Desktop/ Create shortcut.

New Icon now on desktop.

Note: if you Left click the Icon in all apps it will open it, you MUST right click it.

Pretty much the same but I use the explorer icon on the task bar and navigate to the program that way, then right click - send to desktop or pin to start(which gives it a tile on the start screen). Partly though I do it this way because I have some programs that were not installed via windows(and don't need to be) so they don't show up under all apps. I am quite fond of programs that can just be copied between machines without the need to reinstall.

Getting things sorted slowly, steam is still giving me some grief and I have discovered (apparently) if you share one steam directory between dual OS's it triggers the new computer authentication in steam every time you switch and launch it.

bk T
02-11-2012, 05:09 PM
Classicshell - Is it safe to install? Will it mess up my OS? What will happen if I don't like it and would like to uninstall, will it cause any problem after removing it?

I hate to do a reinstall again. Has anyone here tried it and uninstalled?

Speedy Gonzales
02-11-2012, 05:20 PM
I'm using classicshell on Win8 no prob at all. All it gives you, is a start button and a menu. And it can bypass the metro screen. So you dont see it on bootup. Its safe. You can uninstall it all it will do, is remove the start button. And take you back to the metro screen. Next time you reboot

bk T
02-11-2012, 05:36 PM
Are you using the classicshell 3_6_1?

Speedy Gonzales
02-11-2012, 06:02 PM
Was. Its up to 3.6.2 now. Was updated just the other day

QW.
02-11-2012, 06:11 PM
Can I have Windows 7 installed and then upgrade to 8?

ollieogg
02-11-2012, 08:14 PM
I have bought a new Toshiba and have upgraded to WIN 8. It took all evening just to download the damn thing, in the end I went to bed and let it do its thing. I may be missing something however. When I fire my laptop up it goes straight to the new look home screen with the tiles. I have found that nearly all the tiles don't do a thing. Click on any one of the big ones it makes the tile fill the screen and then shoot me straight back to the main tiles screen. I would post my specs here, but I don't know how or where to find them now. I am not impressed with this OS at all :(

Speedy Gonzales
03-11-2012, 01:44 PM
Press the windows key + pause. Like you do, with previous versions of Windows. Probably easier if you install classicshell. You wont have to do so much

PeteS
03-11-2012, 05:05 PM
I've got an elderly chap who bought a box version then asked me to install on his good win7 PC. It went OK except after it completed I noticed it had lost its DVD drive and none of the usual methods could get it back. In the end I shut down, opened up the box and disconnected sata off mb, rebooted, shut down then reconnected cable to a different mb sata socket and it recognised and hasn't missed a beat. Strange considering the initial install was from the same dvd. Solved.

Anyway - the reason for this post. He absolutely loves win8 and wants to put it on all his other gear. An antique Dell laptop running winxp that I dont reckon is long for this world and an asus intel atom netbook again xp. I'm trying to talk him out of it but the win8 interface suits him.
Question - If he insists and say the Dell dies in a few months is the software wasted? or if it all turns to custard and the upgrade is a total waste can the win 8 licenses be moved to machines more suitable. I guess the license terms legally are they are trash. Any opinions gratefully received.

dugimodo
03-11-2012, 05:07 PM
If you want to legally move windows onto a new machine you need to buy the full retail version - and pay a premium for the privelege.

wainuitech
03-11-2012, 05:28 PM
If the dell and other netbook are to old, or dont meet the requirements, W8 wont install anyway, you'd soon find out because it will error on install right from the start almost, had this happen on a couple of older workshop PC's when trying it out. BUT you may have to Enable NX in BIOS if its available, (You need to look for “No execute bit” or equivalent XD “Execute Disable bit”) if not - tough luck.

The preview did install but the finished RTM wont, MS "changed the rules" as to what hardware it will install on.

"if" you want to test it without actually spending any money first, download the 90 day RTM trial of Enterprise version, linked to softpedia -- http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Windows-8-Download-196339.html You can get it directly from MS, but you need to have a live account and fill out forms etc. Beware it is a large download.

Keep in mind, the Enterprise version has to be removed if you want a full OS, meaning you cant convert it to a pro or Straight W8.

Morgenmuffel
04-11-2012, 07:06 PM
Hmm i'll try this again

Ran the upgrade advisor

For you to review
Sidebar gadgets aren't supported in Windows 8
You won’t be able to use the sidebar gadgets that are installed on your PC in Windows 8.
More info
Secure Boot isn't compatible with your PC
Your PC's firmware doesn't support Secure Boot so you won't be able to use it in Windows 8.
More info
Adobe Media Player
Adobe Systems Incorporated
Not compatible
Adobe Flash Player 10 ActiveX
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Update available
iTunes
Apple Inc.
Remove authorized PCs
Microsoft Office Access MUI (English) 2007
Microsoft Corporation
Paid update available
Microsoft Office Word MUI (English) 2007
Microsoft Corporation
Paid update available

What the heck are the ms office MUI things, does this mean office 2007 won't run on a windows 8 system?

Also "secure boot" my 'motherboard ('http://www.gigabyte.co.nz/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4150#sp) is supposed to be windows 8 ready but if secure boot isn't supported does this not mean windows 8 wont run?

any help appreciated

Chilling_Silence
04-11-2012, 07:20 PM
Nope, secure boot isn't required for Win8 to run :)

MUI = Multilingual User Interface -- Also known as more than one language