PDA

View Full Version : build tips

had Matter
25-10-2012, 10:14 PM
Hello Everyone!

Heres what ive recently purchased for my new build please tell me you think I could do next.

ASUS MAXIMUS V FORMULA INTEL Z77 DDR3 PCI-E3.0 LGA1155
http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=16893

INTEL CORE I5 3570 IVY BRIDGE 3.40GHZ 6MB 77W LGA1155
http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=16969

ASUS HD7970-DC2T-3GD5 RADEON HD7970 DIRECT CU II TOP 3GB GDDR5 PCI-E3.0
http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=16508

CORSAIR HX SERIES HX650 V2 650W MODULAR POWER SUPPLY 80PLUS GOLD
http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=16992

NZXT HAVIK 140 CPU COOLER DUAL 140MM FAN
http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=15250

NZXT PHANTOM ENTHUSIAST FULL TOWER CASE (WHITE) USB3.0
http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=15872

Ive got the usual suspects,monitor, ram, hdd, mouse and keyboard.

wainuitech
25-10-2012, 10:48 PM
Heres what ive recently purchased for my new build please tell me you think I could do next.

Unpack from boxes and build it :D

Sorry couldn't resist that :lol:

had Matter
25-10-2012, 10:50 PM
Unpack from boxes and build it :D

Sorry couldn't resist that :lol:

Hahaha The best advice ive heard all day!!!!

unfortunately still waiting on delivery of psu.

WarNox
25-10-2012, 11:01 PM
Worth the wait, Corsairs are awesome!

Jen
25-10-2012, 11:07 PM
Your case is pretty cool - looks like someone ambushed a Stormtropper for his kit.

Tips & hints:
You need to get a box of chocolates. I stress-ate an entire box when building my first PC (but managed to keep choccy-coated fingers off the CPU). :p

Do you have an antistatic strap? Don't go spreading your components on the carpet once out of their packaging, use newspaper to provide a 'clean' and static free surface.

Slankydudl
25-10-2012, 11:08 PM
Wow nice build there man... During the build touch the metal of the case every now and then just so any static in you is discharged. First i would install the mobo mount thingys and the i/o sheild then install ram, cpu and cpu cooler before putting the mobo in the case. Install the optical drive, hd and anything else that connects to the mobo by cabel before you put the mobo in, this includes the psu, route all the psu cables to the right places and make the cabels at the back as neat as you can then Install the mobo and put the gpu in and plug everything in.... Then install the os.

P.s. bullet points are for schmucks.

8ftmetalhaed
25-10-2012, 11:18 PM
usual tips go - ground yourself. either with a strip or just touch alot of bare metal.

Don't stick stuff on the antistatic bags. Hell, MAYBE if you turn them inside out. Otherwise don't bother.

Plus assemble as much as you can before you stick it in the cas - cpu, cooler, ram are normally the limits there though.

Oh and also don't go tightening the mobo screws unless the standoffs are tighter. I made that mistake, loosened a mobo screw only to find a perpetually spinning standoff underneath -_-

Slankydudl
25-10-2012, 11:33 PM
Lol

8ftmetalhaed
26-10-2012, 12:03 AM
curse my replying to the thread half an hour after opening the tab to read it.

dugimodo
26-10-2012, 08:49 AM
You could build it all up without the PSU and then add that when it arrives, generally it's not something that has to be installed before any thing else.

Just a minor niggle with otherwise good advice, metal is not going to magically discharge static unless it's earthed so that should be earth yourself or touch a lot of bare EARTHED metal. One way is to plug in the PSU and leave it turned of at the wall (the earth connection is not switched) and then use that as your earth point. Any metal bodied appliance plugged into the wall should have an earth on the body.

A +1 for the static bag advice, one of the most common mistakes is to put hardware on top of the bags, they are just plastic on the outside and can build up a nasty static charge in the bag itself, the inside has a metallic coating the outside doesn't.

My Advice - take your time, be methodical, don't rush or get frustrated, once it's up and running do a memtest and stress test the CPU and graphics cards and read the temperatures. It's best to identify problems as early as possible.

Also set your BIOS to AHCI mode (or RAID if you're going that way) before installing the operating system. This enables the advanced features of modern hard drives and is a nuisance to enable after windows is installed (requires a registry hack and drivers or it won't boot). I was pleased to see the BIOS on my Asus board lets me turn AHCI on for individual SATA ports, that would actually fix the issue but still do it first.

People get very casual about static, especially having got away with ignoring it for years. Don't do that. If you see or hear a spark the voltage is in the thousands, you can easily carry several hundred volts and be totally unaware. A lot of static damage is not obvious, it might not actually "fry" a circuit but can do minor invisible damage that can be the reason for weird faults and unstable systems. I suspect a lot of warranty claims are caused by static discharge.

inphinity
26-10-2012, 09:08 AM
Nice build, but a question if I may...
You've gone for a high end enthusiast motherboard, and an aftermarket CPU cooler, but NOT the K version of the 3570. I find that curious. No plans to overclock, presumably?

BBCmicro
26-10-2012, 09:21 AM
My Advice - take your time, be methodical, don't rush or get frustrated
That was the best advice someone gave me. In particular, practise putting the cooler on (see Wainuitech's advice on a recent thread)

gary67
26-10-2012, 09:35 AM
Wow nice build there man... During the build touch the metal of the case every now and then just so any static in you is discharged. First i would install the mobo mount thingys and the i/o sheild then install ram, cpu and cpu cooler before putting the mobo in the case. Install the optical drive, hd and anything else that connects to the mobo by cabel before you put the mobo in, this includes the psu, route all the psu cables to the right places and make the cabels at the back as neat as you can then Install the mobo and put the gpu in and plug everything in.... Then install the os.

P.s. bullet points are for schmucks.

Be careful with criticisms if you haven't checked your own spelling :devil

Slankydudl
26-10-2012, 10:27 AM
Criticisms?

SolMiester
26-10-2012, 02:28 PM
Nice build, but a question if I may...
You've gone for a high end enthusiast motherboard, and an aftermarket CPU cooler, but NOT the K version of the 3570. I find that curious. No plans to overclock, presumably?

Yes, $537 for a high end 3 slot PCIe motherbaord and 1x7950 GPU and no K CPU?.....Save yourself $300 and get a 2nd GPU, or just save your money!
http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=16639

Oh, I got a white NZXT H2 the other day, beautiful case w\ builtin fan controller, case dampening and SATA Dock on the top....

Trev
26-10-2012, 03:26 PM
Yes I agree with Solmiester on the MB. My system is a gaming rig built by Computer Lounge about last March.
:)