PDA

View Full Version : Adobe Air

jayal
25-10-2012, 05:47 PM
I'd like some information on "Adobe Air" please - was looking through things and noticed that programme was way overdue for an update - existing is "1.5.3 1930" new is "3.4.0.2710" - so tried to update but kept getting a failure message, i.e.

"An error occurred while installing Adobe AIR. Installation may not be allowed by your administrator. Please contact your administrator." -

I am the administrator

suggestions from their site included "disable AV," did so, failed
install in safe mode, failed
uninstall original then install update, failed

do i need to update?
what role does Adobe Air play?
do I really need it?

would love to get some answers please

Speedy Gonzales
25-10-2012, 06:07 PM
According to the adobe site

What What is Adobe AIR?

The AdobeŽ AIRŽ runtime enables developers to package the same code into native apps for iPhone, iPad, Kindle Fire, Nook Tablet, and other Android™ devices, reaching the mobile app stores for over 500 million devices.

So if you dont do this, you dont need it

Terry Porritt
25-10-2012, 06:55 PM
But, also however, if you use BBC iPlayer then Adobe Air is required as "iPlayer is powered by Adobe Air":

http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/help/using_bbc_iplayer/desktopwindows

gary67
25-10-2012, 07:03 PM
Also if you have digital magazine subscriptions you also need adobe air, although the last update borked a few things in Zinio digital

jayal
25-10-2012, 07:16 PM
thanks all, coincidentally, my partner has a birthday shortly and my thoughts are Kindle Fire or Nexus7 so, I'll need to download Adobe Air, any thoughts on that? in light of my previous failures?

Paul.Cov
26-10-2012, 06:58 AM
Uninstall Air.

Close your browser, and any other unneccessary apps that might be using Air.

Reinstall from a saved installer application.

Keep fingers crossed.

jayal
26-10-2012, 10:12 AM
no good Paul - surely there's some way to get rid of the bloody thing, it's becoming a project now, so will pursue it till ??? - thanks for your suggestions