PDA

View Full Version : VPS Hosting - Webslice vs Webtastix

WarNox
25-10-2012, 10:05 AM
Hi all,

The time has come for my server to move out and I'm just looking for somewhere to host it as a VPS. I know you get what you pay for but I won't be too worried with a few hrs outage every once in a while.

I've narrowed it down to two, based on price/features so just wondering if anyone's had experience with either one?

I did read a forum post about Webslice from earlier this year and there was no negative feedback. Webtastix does offer a lot more International Bandwidth though. Both would be about $25 a month for my requirements.

http://www.webslice.co.nz/virtual-private-servers/
http://www.webtastix.net/?page=vps&token=21377a99a3c99b5d1324261cbe9b71c1

Cheers for any input.

Chilling_Silence
25-10-2012, 11:50 AM
No experience with either. I've used Rimu and SiteHost. To be honest I'm a *big* fan of SiteHosts, those guys there are awesome and their support is absolutely fantastic!

The Error Guy
25-10-2012, 12:33 PM
If you don't mind hosting overseas I use URPad for my VPS, its about $5 NZD a month, comes with 150 data allowance, 100mbit connection and 30GB of disk space (you can pay to get more)

So far they have been flawless and their support is great. Only problem is you have to put a "fake" US address in and pay using a proxy in the US since they are "US only" Their customer service know I'm from NZ and don't seem to care.

My experience with NZ hosts is they are very expensive for your casual to moderate users, overseas hosts tend to be much cheaper for the non professional type operations.

URPad's connection speeds (to the server) are very very good, I can get a solid 2MBs to most servers, decent hosts like Ubuntu, M$ and Apple get a steady 9mbps usually peaking at 11. To NZ I can't say much since I'm behind a terrible proxy and a 2mbit line that's shared by 400 people (Apparently this is an acceptable connection to a school. You can imagine what 2mbit is like with a few hundred students on it)

If you want to test site load times head over to http://108.174.62.205/ it's only got a very basic site on it atm (Haven't got PHP working so half of the content is missing too) or try transferring some files

http://108.174.62.205/iPod4,1_6.0_10A403_Restore.ipsw
http://108.174.62.205/SuperNexus-I9100-BUILD5-20121017.zip

WarNox
25-10-2012, 02:10 PM
Can't really beat $5 a month :) I was looking at one hosted in Europe and it was about 70e per year.

I will do some research on URPad, don't see why they would care if you're NZ based. What do you mean pay through proxy though?

kingdragonfly
25-10-2012, 02:45 PM
I'd be a little bit cautious about using a "US only" company. You never know when some stupid US law passes, and suddenly you have no access to your web site.

A red flag to me personally is using a fake US address. The proxy, I believe, is to hide the fact you're paying for it outside the US.

pctek
25-10-2012, 03:54 PM
http://www.webtastix.net/?page=faq "This page does not exist". LOL, but in fact it does.

They have a longer support time than Webslice.

I use Webslice, support is great - at least by email, never phoned them though. And not for VPS.

Also:
http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1174944
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=362046914
Seems they are fairly new so not much in the way of user reviews for them.

askewdread
25-10-2012, 04:12 PM
http://www.webtastix.net/?page=faq "This page does not exist". LOL, but in fact it does.

Aah.... oops... makes me feel stupid :)

WarNox
25-10-2012, 04:16 PM
Fair point about 'US Only' but I'm sure there will be other overseas ones that won't have this clause. I'll do a bit of research.

Webslice is only 5gb int traffic, the only thing I don't like. Everything else seems all good.

Yes, the Webtastix site seems a bit on the cheap side :)

askewdread
25-10-2012, 04:22 PM
Yes, the Webtastix site seems a bit on the cheap side :)

We have been around for quite a while (our original www.webtastix.co.nz site was setup many years ago) just havenít done much advertising, and have tried to make sure the websites as functional as possible and easy to find everything as we donít want to make it difficult... as we grow the website will be somewhere we spend some money, up until now we have been putting it all into the servers to make sure they are reliable :)

pctek
25-10-2012, 05:35 PM
We have been around for quite a while (our original www.webtastix.co.nz site was setup many years ago) just havenít done much advertising, and have tried to make sure the websites as functional as possible and easy to find everything as we donít want to make it difficult... as we grow the website will be somewhere we spend some money, up until now we have been putting it all into the servers to make sure they are reliable :)
You've had the domain name a while - although why don't you have the name with yourself?

07-19-2012, 08:34 PM
WebtastixIS-Shane

Webtastix Internet Services - Unmanaged VPS Sale - NZ Based
Hey there,

We are new into the mix so we are trying build up our customer base:

WarNox
25-10-2012, 10:23 PM
We have been around for quite a while (our original www.webtastix.co.nz site was setup many years ago) just haven’t done much advertising, and have tried to make sure the websites as functional as possible and easy to find everything as we don’t want to make it difficult... as we grow the website will be somewhere we spend some money, up until now we have been putting it all into the servers to make sure they are reliable :)

Cheers for the explanation.

If I don't find something favourable overseas I will most probably be in touch again. Thanks everyone else for your input too.

fred_fish
25-10-2012, 10:41 PM
+1 for SiteHost

WarNox
25-10-2012, 10:44 PM
One more thing re Webtastix, what does semi-managed mean? Usually it's pretty black and white with managed/unmanaged.

SiteHost actually looks decent too but Webtastix still gives a lot more international bw for the same price.

askewdread
26-10-2012, 09:39 AM
One more thing re Webtastix, what does semi-managed mean? Usually it's pretty black and white with managed/unmanaged.

SiteHost actually looks decent too but Webtastix still gives a lot more international bw for the same price.

Basically if needed we will help out where we can, with issues with software etc, but it is a best effort type thing, its not something we will keep an eye on and make sure everythings up to date and running nicely etc, and we will also setup remote monitoring on requested ports / services if requested free of charge

Chilling_Silence
26-10-2012, 12:32 PM
Cool, what do you use to monitor the services?

askewdread
26-10-2012, 12:44 PM
Cool, what do you use to monitor the services?

We currently use nagios, so remotley we can monitor open ports or if the nrpe agent is installed we can monitor individual services, and default is to send the alerts to the user by email, though sms is avaliable for a bit extra :)

Chilling_Silence
26-10-2012, 12:54 PM
Ah nice, jolly good stuff NagiOS is, though it can be a ******* to get running. Good on ya :)

askewdread
26-10-2012, 12:56 PM
Ah nice, jolly good stuff NagiOS is, though it can be a ******* to get running. Good on ya :)

Heh yeah it took a lot to work it out to begin with but have had it running nicely for a couple of years now :)

WarNox
26-10-2012, 07:06 PM
I emailed URPad regarding getting an account from NZ and below is their response. Sorry askewdread as the features offered by Webtastix are awesome but I just can't justify paying 5x more for a VPS I won't be making any money from :)

URPad.net

Hello,

We have absolutely no problems with this, and already have about 150 other customers based out of New Zealand.

Thanks,

--
Jacob Palermo
System Administrator

The Error Guy
26-10-2012, 10:27 PM
TBH if I was serious about hosting proper dedicated and valuable stuff on a server I'd host it in NZ, for bypassing retarded restrictions imposed upon us and host very casual student web sites for NCEA URPad does the job and it's Cheap. I would actually pay more for a NZ host but all our connections are proxied through aussie so the round trip latency is the same as the states. Until we get fibre (which probably won't be in my lifetime at school) it's not really worth hosting in NZ as the services quality will only be as good as what we can get in the US for less.

askewdread
29-10-2012, 09:28 AM
usually with NZ based hosting your looking somewhere around a max of 20ms latency (depending on ISP of course), whereas if you host in US your looking around 80ms if not higher

Even on fibre the difference is clear

Fibre:

Pinging US:
Pinging ns10.webtastix.co.nz [206.217.223.158] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 206.217.223.158: bytes=32 time=179ms TTL=49
Reply from 206.217.223.158: bytes=32 time=178ms TTL=49

Pinging NZ
Pinging ns10.webtastix.net [202.89.49.68] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 202.89.49.68: bytes=32 time=4ms TTL=55

ADSL:

US
Pinging ns10.webtastix.co.nz [206.217.223.158] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 206.217.223.158: bytes=32 time=164ms TTL=51
Reply from 206.217.223.158: bytes=32 time=160ms TTL=51

NZ
Pinging ns10.webtastix.net [202.89.49.68] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 202.89.49.68: bytes=32 time=11ms TTL=59
Reply from 202.89.49.68: bytes=32 time=9ms TTL=59
Reply from 202.89.49.68: bytes=32 time=9ms TTL=59
Reply from 202.89.49.68: bytes=32 time=10ms TTL=59

The Error Guy
29-10-2012, 10:33 AM
Indeed, latency to URPad (Da TX) is around 200ms (direct connection from NZ) there is an overhead of 100ms from NZ to australia (when behind TSZ Proxy, making it about 300ms) so for me using the SSH server to forward an internet connection connecting to NZ --> AUS --> NZ --> US Hosted website --> NZ --> AUS --> NZ added a lot of latency. Having a server in NZ wasn't much of a benefit to us in our situation.

This is only a problem because we are behind a really bad proxy run by telecom schoolzone (SINA) and we are on a 2mbit DSL line, when that's shared by 100+ boarders after hours and about 400 students and staff during the day it's diabolical so any server for us was not really going to be optimal. We chose URPad based on the fact it was cheap (students love cheap) and it didn't really matter how bad the connection was because we'd be wasting our money paying for a good connection when we can't really make use of it.

If I was actually hosting material that mattered to us or if she school had gotten fibre (everythings installed but there is no contract for an ISP yet) then i'd definitely use a NZ host. The benefits would be more than just latency (supporting NZ companies, better support etc) but unfortunately it didn't work out so we all sit around with our dialup broadband and watch bitvise time out every 5 mins.

Given by your commitment and support i'd definitely be looking towards Webastix in the future though.

First world problem eh :p

askewdread
29-10-2012, 10:53 AM
ah i see, that makes a bit more sense... I thought school type things had moved over to fibre now (though has been a while since i was in that situation) :) hopefully soon then, schools and similar should have happened before the houses that already have it tbh :(

Thanks for that, am always here to help if possible :)

Yeah, aren’t they always! :D

The Error Guy
29-10-2012, 03:32 PM
Well we have fibre connected (all cabling is done) and all our internal infrastructure has been upgraded but the water hasn't been turned on as such, I believe we are waiting for a contract from an ISP to provide services.

Early outlook for the service was good, they installed Ruckus routers and again we thought good, some decent hardware. It started to look bad when each router broadcasts 5 SSIDS.... One called "Rathkeale" the other "Rathkeale_Mac" "Rathkeale_Staff" "Rathkeale_Guest" and "Rathkeale_register" instantly that is bad bad bad imo, staff and student/guest seem OK to me but why they have a registration service (which we found to be vulnerable to ARP attacks) on different networks is beyond me. Dunno what the Mac one is either. I'm assuming it's for the apple computers (there's only 15-20 in the whole school).

I think there shall be some major kerfuffle and downtime when they start being used, not to mention confusion. To me 5 networks seems excessive and untidy. Should be compressed to at lease Guest, Staff and School.

In the meantime whilst we wait I will enjoy watching plaintext HTML pages load incrementally, one good thing about SSH is that using zlib makes is fractionally faster :D

askewdread
29-10-2012, 04:08 PM
Yeah seems extremely excessive :\ wonder why its setup like that...
Maybe to have a different one to use every day? Gives some variation i guess :)

Hope you get it soon, seems like a very odd and slow way to set it up

WarNox
29-10-2012, 05:22 PM
Early outlook for the service was good, they installed Ruckus routers and again we thought good, some decent hardware. It started to look bad when each router broadcasts 5 SSIDS.... One called "Rathkeale" the other "Rathkeale_Mac" "Rathkeale_Staff" "Rathkeale_Guest" and "Rathkeale_register" instantly that is bad bad bad imo, staff and student/guest seem OK to me but why they have a registration service (which we found to be vulnerable to ARP attacks) on different networks is beyond me. Dunno what the Mac one is either. I'm assuming it's for the apple computers (there's only 15-20 in the whole school).

Who would 'they' be referring to? I'm sure there is nothing wrong with the actual hardware (Ruckus) but the configuration if anything.